View Poll Results: Will you switch to Android or not?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YEAH! Android FTW!

129 55.36%
  • NO WAY! WebOS till death do us part!

104 44.64%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    well, I'm a crazy person and stockpiled webOS devices....and considering my original pre- lasted 2 years, I'm sticking with webOS until my last phone breaks or a version of android that doesn't suck exists. Maybe that's unfair, but I have not been impressed by android so far, I basically only use my evo as an access point for WiMAX... It just feels so messy and disjointed after years with webOS and iOS (which I dislike for other reasons).
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Baghdad Bob View Post
    Wow, how the heck has this thread not yet been banished to oblivion? Hello? Newman?
    perhaps it's because the majority of voters have cast their votes for Android Ice Cream Sandwich on Touchpad?

Apple iOS is not open-source.... otherwise there must be people who would love to install iOS on Touchpads!
    Before this thread gets locked down lol, I will say that no matter what android version is able to be ported, I will still have webOS but will have Android also as dual boot. Right now I am using CM7 alpha2 exclusively just to see if I could survive on it. Android's usefulness to me is its apps, nothing more. Netlix, Logmein Ignition, Hulu Plus.

WebOS is much more polished believe it or not on the tablet. Everything seems much more clear, android seems hazy on it, even some apps like glow hockey don't seem to be as smooth as in webos.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    I love WebOS. I'll stick with this.
    i love webOS but for whatever reason it takes forever to render pages. CM7 is way faster in regards to that. However, once the page loads it does seem smoother on webOS
    Before I bought my TP for $99 4 weeks ago I'd never really heard of webOS and had no idea about this strange fandom for it.
    I find it all a bit odd.
    I like my TP and I like the general user experience of webOS although browsing isn't great.
    However, I don't understand how people make comments along the lines of 'I'm sticking with webOS because it's a superior O/S'. That may be the case but the O/S is not the be all and end all. It's just the conduit to do the stuff you want to do. The real driver is the apps that you can install and use on the tablet. What's the point of having a 'superior O/S' if there's relatively very little to use it for? Apple is a case in point, very successful with an O/S that isn't even multi-tasking. People don't buy the iPad because of the O/S, they buy it because of what it allows them to do via apps.
    I'm happy enough for now with my limited selection of apps but in the long run I imagine I'll dual boot and use Android a fair bit for apps that I want to use.
    DeadVim and crutzulee like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattecko16 View Post
    I have android 7.1.0 rc 1 is the alpha 2 rc 2? Or am I fully updated
    You have Android 2.3.7 (aka CyanogenMod 7.1.0). The 'Alpha 1/Alpha 2' designation only applies to the Touchpad port itself and not CM7 as a whole.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/24/2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chesl73 View Post
    Before I bought my TP for $99 4 weeks ago I'd never really heard of webOS and had no idea about this strange fandom for it.
    I find it all a bit odd.
    I like my TP and I like the general user experience of webOS although browsing isn't great.
    However, I don't understand how people make comments along the lines of 'I'm sticking with webOS because it's a superior O/S'. That may be the case but the O/S is not the be all and end all. It's just the conduit to do the stuff you want to do. The real driver is the apps that you can install and use on the tablet. What's the point of having a 'superior O/S' if there's relatively very little to use it for? Apple is a case in point, very successful with an O/S that isn't even multi-tasking. People don't buy the iPad because of the O/S, they buy it because of what it allows them to do via apps.
    I'm happy enough for now with my limited selection of apps but in the long run I imagine I'll dual boot and use Android a fair bit for apps that I want to use.
    Considering the only downside to installing another OS is that it takes up a bit of disk space it is a rather strange mindset. It's not like you install CM7 and your licence to use webOS is revoked.

Hey, you don't even have to tell the wider community you're doing it

Functionality wins over everything else for me also.

I'll even pay over the odds for an iThing if I believe I will get the use out of it.

To hell with platform wars and endless tedious debates.

I'll happily use anything that does the jobs I want done efficiently.

And if the solution also happens to cost zero of my Australian dollars then I'll also be thankful for the people that make it possible.
    dignitary likes this.
    I'll put it this way:

People stuck with OS/2 in a Windows world.
    People stuck with Betamax in a VHS world.
    People stuck with cassettes and Minidisc in a CD world.
    ...ad infinitum.

I love webOS. I've been using it since June 6th, 2009 when I got a launch day Sprint Pre, and I bought a 32GB Touchpad the 2nd day after it'd been released. (I also have a Sprint-ified Pre 2, and another Sprint Pre hanging around for good measure.) I've been a webOS developer since July 2009, in the first rounds of the Early Access program, releasing and supporting Radio Hibiki since late 2009.

But all good things have to be looked at objectively and realistically, and I prefer to leave dogmatic thinking and allegiances to the things in life that actually matter--and mobile platforms aren't among them in my eyes. Thus, as much as I've liked webOS, I don't understand fanaticism for or against it (or any other platform, for that matter).

If webOS and its user experience work for you despite its spartan app selection and dying developer support--and don't kid yourself, it's actually dying--then more power to you. Going down with the ship is admirable in its own right. There were plenty of people who stuck with OS/2 for very real technical advantages over Windows, and those advantages were worth clinging onto, for those people, in the face of everyone telling them to move on. At the same time, you realize you're going to fall behind technologically if HP pulls the plug on it in addition to its abandonment of hardware; it's both an unavoidable fact and the price one pays for snubbing progress.

For me at least, I can leverage my Touchpad's hardware, its usefulness, and its possibilities much more robustly with CyanogenMod/Android. It's not about "what works now", it's about looking into the future of what's possible for my devices and maximizing their value. Where CM7 is already opening up the capability to run a plethora of apps and enhance my productivity greatly over what webOS offered me, Android 4.0 ICS promises to enhance the user experience to something much closer to what webOS offers thanks to the talents and webOS lineage of Mathias Duarte, so it's a no-brainer for me. Do I like webOS' user experience more than CM7's? I sure as hell do...right now. But I can deal with that tradeoff until the ICS shows up on my Touchpad.

Even if I wanted to use webOS as my primary platform, I would have still installed CyanogenMod just to fill the gaps for me that webOS can't. As it is, I've only launched into webOS once since installing CM7 the night Alpha 1 came out, and that was to demonstrate webOS to an extremely experienced developer friend of mine yesterday. He agreed that despite how great an OS experience it is, an OS is only as truly useful as its developer support and ecosystem. webOS never truly had either, and that's why I was eager to make the move.

tl;dr: Why Android? It's just what works for me, and there are far more worthwhile things in life to be fanatical about than a freakin' mobile platform. If webOS is what works for you, then...awesome! But by installing CM7, you still get to use webOS and benefit from a second, more robust ecosystem to fill in webOS' gaps. Nobody will take away your 'webOS Fan' card for using it, I promise.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/24/2011 at 12:43 AM.
    DeadVim, crutzulee and nappy like this.
    Global Posts
    1,528 Global Posts
    I'll be keeping webOS on the TouchPad as I intended to all along.
    Bottom line is if webOS ever had a way to run android apps like Blackberry will with QNX then I'll have no use for Android. End of story.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I'll put it this way:

People stuck with OS/2 in a Windows world.
    People stuck with Betamax in a VHS world.
    People stuck with cassettes and Minidisc in a CD world.
    ...ad infinitum.

I love webOS. I've been using it since June 6th, 2009 when I got a launch day Sprint Pre, and I bought a 32GB Touchpad the 2nd day after it'd been released. (I also have a Sprint-ified Pre 2, and another Sprint Pre hanging around for good measure.) I've been a webOS developer since July 2009, in the first rounds of the Early Access program, releasing and supporting Radio Hibiki since late 2009.

But all good things have to be looked at objectively and realistically, and I prefer to leave dogmatic thinking and allegiances to the things in life that actually matter--and mobile platforms aren't among them in my eyes. Thus, as much as I've liked webOS, I don't understand fanaticism for or against it (or any other platform, for that matter).

If webOS and its user experience work for you despite its spartan app selection and dying developer support--and don't kid yourself, it's actually dying--then more power to you. Going down with the ship is admirable in its own right. There were plenty of people who stuck with OS/2 for very real technical advantages over Windows, and those advantages were worth clinging onto, for those people, in the face of everyone telling them to move on. At the same time, you realize you're going to fall behind technologically if HP pulls the plug on it in addition to its abandonment of hardware; it's both an unavoidable fact and the price one pays for snubbing progress.

For me at least, I can leverage my Touchpad's hardware, its usefulness, and its possibilities much more robustly with CyanogenMod/Android. It's not about "what works now", it's about looking into the future of what's possible for my devices and maximizing their value. Where CM7 is already opening up the capability to run a plethora of apps and enhance my productivity greatly over what webOS offered me, Android 4.0 ICS promises to enhance the user experience to something much closer to what webOS offers thanks to the talents and webOS lineage of Mathias Duarte, so it's a no-brainer for me. Do I like webOS' user experience more than CM7's? I sure as hell do...right now. But I can deal with that tradeoff until the ICS shows up on my Touchpad.

Even if I wanted to use webOS as my primary platform, I would have still installed CyanogenMod just to fill the gaps for me that webOS can't. As it is, I've only launched into webOS once since installing CM7 the night Alpha 1 came out, and that was to demonstrate webOS to an extremely experienced developer friend of mine yesterday. He agreed that despite how great an OS experience it is, an OS is only as truly useful as its developer support and ecosystem. webOS never truly had either, and that's why I was eager to make the move.

tl;dr: Why Android? It's just what works for me, and there are far more worthwhile things in life to be fanatical about than a freakin' mobile platform. If webOS is what works for you, then...awesome! But by installing CM7, you still get to use webOS and benefit from a second, more robust ecosystem to fill in webOS' gaps. Nobody will take away your 'webOS Fan' card for using it, I promise.
    Blimey, a better encapsulation of how I feel I could not find.

It is only a freakin' mobile platform
    I've never used WebOS before I bought the TouchPad, so I've had a learning curve since I've had it. I bought it mainly because it was cheap and to read on it. Well, I was surprised to find out that reading was one of the major failures of the TouchPad. Who knew? Still, I'm hanging in there. The games are great though.

I've never used Android either. Yesterday I bit the bullet and installed it. Had a little heart attack for a couple of hours when I had the black screen of death and thought I'd bricked it. After Googling forever I managed to find out that I wasn't holding down the power button and home screen button long enough to get to the USB symbol again. Then it was a matter of getting the Command Prompts in perfectly - and even then I had to do it several times before it accepted it. Then finally I was up and running.

I have to say the Android IS amazing. It's not any easier for me than the WebOS in the beginning but web pages are a LOT better. I'm a believer.

BTW - my daughter in law was visiting this weekend with her iPad and got her hands on the TouchPad She couldn't put it down.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
    I've never used WebOS before I bought the TouchPad, so I've had a learning curve since I've had it. I bought it mainly because it was cheap and to read on it. Well, I was surprised to find out that reading was one of the major failures of the TouchPad. Who knew? Still, I'm hanging in there. The games are great though.

I've never used Android either. Yesterday I bit the bullet and installed it. Had a little heart attack for a couple of hours when I had the black screen of death and thought I'd bricked it. After Googling forever I managed to find out that I wasn't holding down the power button and home screen button long enough to get to the USB symbol again. Then it was a matter of getting the Command Prompts in perfectly - and even then I had to do it several times before it accepted it. Then finally I was up and running.

I have to say the Android IS amazing. It's not any easier for me than the WebOS in the beginning but web pages are a LOT better. I'm a believer.

BTW - my daughter in law was visiting this weekend with her iPad and got her hands on the TouchPad She couldn't put it down.
    First of all, congratulations on finding this thread.

I've had a few power+home moments but it's all come back eventually.

I love variety and something different every once in a while so I'm enjoying the diversity.

I'll leave time to work out which platform will 'win'.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post

If you want more tips, check out Pre-central's sister site (link in my signature) where there is a dedicated forum to this stuff.
    I will keep webOS on my TP as long as it can be usable...

I am waiting a bit but will definitely try Android when in Beta and definitely if ICS comes to the TP I'll install it.

The main reason would be to be able to keep up with the Android system and have access to their app catalog (although at this point I have not needed to).

But I will hand on to webOS to the last breath of the OS and then some... I most certainly hope someone with the proper will to invest in R&D and put adequate and competitive hardware behind the OS will put it's hands on the remnants of the platform...

This is not the 1st time HP puts to rest a great product they have put their hands on...

Because their management is compensated on profit to please shareholder and R&D being a cost it is one of the area where they have made the most cut in the past few years, especially during the Mark Hurd years... I guess the Palm team found out the hard way that the HP machine they expected to be infusing more funds to R&D and getting them to success did not happen, and that in fact quite the opposite happened...

They have to make something very quickly with webOS as the more they wait the less likely it will survive... (and I know I'm not the 1st one to say this...)

My blood is blue (used to be Orange...) and I firmly believe in this OS as the one with the most potential to hurt IOS, if in the hands of the right vendor with the right R&D on both hardware and software.

If HP would have been bright, they would have invested in building their own App ecosystem. HP is THE leader in Cloud, Storage, Distributed computing and other IT industry standard. Why is it that HP did not provide for functionality like BOX.net, WEB Office suites and others, bringing so much more power and functionality to this platform than any other on the market... You would have captured so much of the corporate market with such features that you would not have needed the consumer market to make your product a success.

Sorry I'm a bit off topic, but I will try ICS but will be using webOS as long as humanly possible or my tablet and phone both dye...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

I have found that after a few weeks of use the phone you use will feel fine.
    It really doesn't matter that much.

I have android but would be happy with windows or apple as well. They all have strengths and weaknesses. But share a common trait: they are the future of phone OS's. Pick one and give it a go we live in great times.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    DeadVim likes this.
    this browser is such crap. I probably can't type this thread without it automatically refreshing.

I would convert simply for such a flawed browser.

sooooo frustrating........
    Quote Originally Posted by lideadhead View Post
    this browser is such crap. I probably can't type this thread without it automatically refreshing.

I would convert simply for such a flawed browser.

sooooo frustrating........
    Im sure there is a way to configure this, but the keyboard autocorrect trying to enter my netflix credentials took me 5 minutes just to enter an email address and password. THAT was frustrating.

As far as the web browser goes, the one on webOS is still good, as is the Android browser, but what I dont like is that theres not a quick and uniform way to just fully close an app, including the broswer. Every app should at least have a menu > exit command. webOS you swipe away and you know the apps are really closed instead of having to go through a convoluted process to stop apps.
    as others have pointed out, I do object to the absence of a couple of in-between poll choices. I'd suggest a more nuanced range of answers:

A) sticking with webOS only
    B) will install ICS to play with/explore, but plan to use webOS daily
    C) will install ICS and use it most of the time, but will keep webOS around
    D) will move to ICS exclusively, no need for webOS

I'd answer B in that case.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast