View Poll Results: Will you switch to Android or not?

Voters
233. You may not vote on this poll
  • HELL YEAH! Android FTW!

129 55.36%
  • NO WAY! WebOS till death do us part!

104 44.64%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes
    Android? No. The platform is good for a tinkerer, but for those of us who prefer things to just work and work well. Android is not the answer. If Windows 8 become available, it would be a better choice. But Android thus far has proven to be a buggy mess, whose interface is even worse. No thanks, I'll just stick with webOS with its gorgeous UI, simplicity and stability. After watching my daughters struggle with their droids, I'm happy I did not get the Droid Pro I was eyeballing. Instead I got the Pre 2 and it has been a wonderful phone, not a single problem, it just work. My next phone and tablet will be MS Window versions, if and only if webOS is dead and buried. Currently it's still alive.
    I am looking ay Android as a possible replacement for my phone, but putting it on my Touchpad? Not when my TP currently does everything I want it to.

And if I was going to change tablet OS, I'd just go out and buy an iPad 2. None of the native Android tablets have impressed me so far.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I have an Android tablet and prefer WebOS. I'm not changing it.

I had 4 TouchPads at one point and almost kept one for Android... But after using WebOS... I decided to give my last TP away.

My next tablet will be when hardware (mainly processor) takes a leap. It will probably have to be Android then.
    I'll install it, but until I see how it works, who knows what I'll actually use? So far the touchpad has pretty much done everything that I've needed it to. I hardly ever use the app catalog, and with the browser in 3.0.4 being pretty much functional, the super awesome speed increase in 3.0.4, Skype built into the stock os, and I wrote a way better google voice app than is available on android (at least comparing to the two I've tried) at the moment, I have no compelling reason to change. I may in the future have some android software development contracts, and will find it quite compelling to be able to dual boot. Or if webOS goes completely **** up well.. I hung onto os2 for a couple of years after the platform was dead. *shrug*

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I love the webOS user experience - and my main annoyances (improper text rendering in webpages for example) were actually fixed with the 3.0.4 patch (although it still needs a bit more work, especially in the autocorrect baloney).

The reason I dual boot CM7? It's more functional. I can do lots of things in android I can't do in webOS, and it only takes about 20-30 seconds to boot into android and -do- those things. Netflix, evernote, pulse reader, proper ebook handling, bluetooth controller compatibility, splashtop from getjar works better than webOS (no 1 second lag), etc etc etc.

That said, I'm no fan of CM7's user experience. It's non-intuitive, takes 2 extra unnecessary steps to do almost anything, and it lacks a nice clean task-switching/closing capability (I've tried tons of launchers/task switchers, and none come close to webOS for intuitive use). The android UI is a bundle of compromises. I have it set up as a dual boot and -after- the 3.0.4 update I've spent very little time in android CM7 (I'm doing all my web browsing/e-mail/etc etc etc in webOS at the moment and mostly only kicking it over to android to do some note taking or netflix watching). That says something about the 3.0.4 improvements, because in 3.0.2 I was using android almost 100% of the time.

So will I use ICS?

ICS is the spiritual successor to webOS. Matias Duarte, the main dev for webOS, is lead "user experience" designer for the OS.

ICS has already shown it will have a card-like task switcher complete with swipe-away capability, and everything I've seen shows a very slick, VERY webOS-like OS.

More capable than webOS, a similarly slick user experience from the same OS designer, a huge amount of apps. Do I even need to answer the question?

YES, I will be using ICS when it is available/stable. I'll throw it on as a dual-boot and I'll let my own usage habits decide whether webOS gets any use.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    woodytrain likes this.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother View Post
    Android? No. The platform is good for a tinkerer, but for those of us who prefer things to just work and work well. Android is not the answer. If Windows 8 become available, it would be a better choice. But Android thus far has proven to be a buggy mess, whose interface is even worse. No thanks, I'll just stick with webOS with its gorgeous UI, simplicity and stability. After watching my daughters struggle with their droids, I'm happy I did not get the Droid Pro I was eyeballing. Instead I got the Pre 2 and it has been a wonderful phone, not a single problem, it just work. My next phone and tablet will be MS Window versions, if and only if webOS is dead and buried. Currently it's still alive.
    Here's the thing about simplicity and working well - this morning, I was having a skype meeting with a partner - they had a document that they wanted my comments on. I opened it on my android TP from a shared folder (which the PDF reader instantly detected with no user intervention), wrote my comments on it with a stylus as we talked, closed it, they instantly had it.

How do you do that in WebOS currently? as far as I can tell, you can't. So why I agree that the OS has simplicity, once you get into doing actual work, the work flow is horrible and complex at the moment and in many common usage scenarios downright impossible.

I think at the moment, if you want to do lots of trivial things at the same time webOS wins, if you want to concentrate on one serious task, then often android wins because the tools aren't available in WebOS. If people wrote the tools (apps) that would change but it does not seem to be happening beyond small-scale developers.
    I'd like to check it out, if for nothing else, to have a little more experience with Android, as I know my Pre- isn't gojng to last forever.(it should last for awhile, I just had it replaced last month) There is an Android phone in my house, but as it isn't mine, I don't really play around with it that much. It's my line of thought that a somebody's phone is a personal thing, and I'd prefer not to mess around too much on it, because I know that I WOULD mess around with it TOO much

I passed on CM7, maybe once it gets to a beta, I might check it out, but at this point, I've waited this long, I can wait longer. I guess I'm used to the waiting game, I have lots of practice

webOS works for me, for my uses. I have no compelling desire to switch OS's, however it will be nice to have the option if/when the rug gets pulled out from underneath us.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Here's the thing about simplicity and working well - this morning, I was having a skype meeting with a partner - they had a document that they wanted my comments on. I opened it on my android TP from a shared folder (which the PDF reader instantly detected with no user intervention), wrote my comments on it with a stylus as we talked, closed it, they instantly had it.

How do you do that in WebOS currently? as far as I can tell, you can't. So why I agree that the OS has simplicity, once you get into doing actual work, the work flow is horrible and complex at the moment and in many common usage scenarios downright impossible.

I think at the moment, if you want to do lots of trivial things at the same time webOS wins, if you want to concentrate on one serious task, then often android wins because the tools aren't available in WebOS.
    I think this post about sums it up .

I use webOS when I want to goof off on the web with a half dozen browser windows open and read a few e-mails.

I use android when I want to take important notes that I don't want to lose because quickoffice suddenly decides it doesn't feel like saving 3 hours worth of typing to a -local- document (it's happened - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). "Serious" business on webOS is a joke.

Either way, there's no point in limiting myself. I have a 32 gig touchpad and android uses a TINY amount of that. 30 seconds and I'm using android, 1 minute later I'm back in webOS. It makes no sense to me that people around here see having android on the device as a net negative. My touchpad became significantly more useful once I added android to it. I can see no instance where adding android would in ANY way detract from the user experience. Even if all you used it for was the occasional netflix movie, it would be worth your time to install it.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 10/23/2011 at 12:28 PM.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    cgk, DeadVim, dignitary and 1 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by saintforlife View Post
    Will you stick with webOS till the end or will you switch to Android if Ice Cream Sandwich comes to the TP with a simple once click install?
    Love WebOS! I like the multi functions of the TP, ease of use, I like all of it, just wish more apps. WebOS is great software and the Homebrew guys keep making it better. I want to keep WebOS until it is no more or the TP has died.

However I do want to try the dual-boot, but only when Beta is out. There are some apps in Android that I currently have on my smartphone that I would like to have on TP. As for ICS, only if it is is dual-boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I signed up to test the beta early access emulator when first released, webos has the potential to be amazing, but did not take it. The elegance of havingmovable panes and a nice tabed launcher is awesome, but if you have dabbed around outside of webos, you will realize the feature set of webos is so far behind its sad and heartbreaking it had so much potential, but is lacking even simple features like saving passwords. Performance is not impressive at all. The alpha cm7 actually runs more like an RTM release then webos. No delays like on webos, no keyboard issues, it just works. There are glitches, but overall it runs better then what it's designed to run. I think Hp didnt put enough work into the system. Webos 3.0 had very little in new features compared to what it had in 2.0 it even became lazy in areas it likely planned to not be. If you look at the original documents which were mostly right, you can see that this device didnt include everything it was meant to, simply put, it was rushed. People like you and me and many others did our best to support webos, promote it, and keep it alive, but in the end, if a tablet isn't able to perform well people will not be happy. I know lots of fire sales touchpad's were resold after being used because some people didnt even think it was worth 100 bucks. I will never sell mine because it has webos, and webos is what sparked my interest in the mobile phone field more so then any other phone at the time. I am a developer because of webos and even though I have decided against developing for the touchpad despite finally getting one, I love webos, it would have been the best tablet os. Sorry for the long response! I just think that if it's gotten to a point where I (someone uninterested in android) is using android on a w2ebos tablet 95% of the time, then webos is lacking too many features to make it as usable as a tablet needs and thats bad. Mu opinions have been the same as yours since my ol' dead pre from near launch. I commend you for truly believing it is still the better tablet os though, but for many I think it is starting to show not to be (UI I would say it is fairly close to being the best UI, but unfortunately UI isn't everything as I have noticed the counter opposite on Android, which has a sucky UI bad update consistency and too many devices to choose from but an os that has the capability to do many things. The experience is definitely not consistent. Im enjoying it more on my touchpad then any android phone I've played with for long. webos needs the smoothness of ios, customization of android, connectivity of windows phone and features its missing from all three.
    <staff edit message paraphrased>

Some paragraphs would be nice to make it easier to read.
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/23/2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    This morning I was working on a Samsung Omnia running Windows Mobile 6.5 running as an emergency spare Verizon device.

I was making sure it was on my wireless network and the mail was up to date.

What has this got to do with webOS, you ask?

I just want to say that Windows Mobile 6.5 is the biggest piece of garbage ever!

iOS5 webOS 3.0.4 and Android 2.3.7 are light year's better.

So progress will continue on mobile touch operating systems and as nice as iOS5 is, I love webOS [just fix a few JavaScript hiccups!]

Android is a great SmartPhone OS. Mainly because Google apps are so important when I am out and about. Google Search, Google Maps and navigation work wonderfully and I doubt I could give that up for iOS 5.

I haven't used webOS on a Smartphone, so I don't have an opinion or the allegiance to webOS.

But on a tablet device webOS 3.0.4 is a great design, is working nicely and I do hope it continues to evolve.

The iPad is nice, but I feel like I am in a Steve Jobs distortion field when I use it, compared to my other online experiences and the ecosystem seems like a toll-booth trap.

The webOS ecosystem is a breath of fresh air and fun too.

In six months I think we will have a better idea of where Ice Cream Sandwich and webOS 3.0.x are headed at that time, I would know how to vote in this poll.

Today, it's webOS on the TouchPad.
    I have android 7.1.0 rc 1 is the alpha 2 rc 2? Or am I fully updated
    Android is an unintuitive mess, full of bells, whistles but no substance - it completely goes against the core principles of what a mobile OS should be like and all about, it's a mockery of iOS and developers have tarted it up to make it look attractive - much like trying to get a Datsun Cherry to look like a Porsche with a beefy engine, go faster stripes and a nice glossy paint finish., or getting a 'live' street hooker who's seen better days to try and be like Penelope Cruz - It's too stacked up a la Windows, instead of being intuitive, simple, powerful, fluid, quick a la iOS and what WebOS could be if given half a chance.

If I want Android, I'd get an Android tablet, if I want an iPad I'd get an...iPad, but I want a HP WebOS device and am very happy with what I have as it does everything I would like it to!
    I need a Citrix that works....
    Quote Originally Posted by le_risque View Post
    Android is an unintuitive mess, full of bells, whistles but no substance - it completely goes against the core principles of what a mobile OS should be like and all about, it's a mockery of iOS and developers have tarted it up to make it look attractive - much like trying to get a Datsun Cherry to look like a Porsche with a beefy engine, go faster stripes and a nice glossy paint finish., or getting a 'live' street hooker who's seen better days to try and be like Penelope Cruz - It's too stacked up a la Windows, instead of being intuitive, simple, powerful, fluid, quick a la iOS and what WebOS could be if given half a chance.

If I want Android, I'd get an Android tablet, if I want an iPad I'd get an...iPad, but I want a HP WebOS device and am very happy with what I have as it does everything I would like it to!
    While I love my Touchpad... it is very much like buying a Ferrari for the 27-mile daily
    stop-and-go commute and finding out that the planet has just run out of fossil fuel.
    (nothing to run it with)
    I will probably get the dual-boot at some point, once the ICS port is stable. But I doubt I will shift off WebOS for most of what I expect to use the TP for (light internet surfing, e-mail, Kindle, an occasional bit of light gaming, maybe a little bit of video). I will get the dual boot mainly to get Netflix and Slingbox. If ICS turns out to be better on the TP than WebOS, I will switch over, but I don't expect that to be the case. Now that 3.0.4. is out, the TP seems to have lost almost all the things that really annoyed me (random freezing, agonizingly slow web-page rendering).
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnedfood View Post
    webOS forever! ICS looks good, but they're adding more layers onto an already (for me at least) complicated operating system.
    You know they actually took away layers on ICS.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by le_risque View Post

really a mockery? Running roms is awesome because unlike webOS devs can tweak what they want and people have dozens to choose from. Ios is nice but plain. I like android and webOS could be cool but it doesn't have backing .
    I'm actually hoping for a good Linux port.
    Switching over to CM once ICS stable is released. Got a long wait from what I can tell.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast