Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By DeadVim
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 2 Post By DeadVim
  1.    #1  
    Google will be releasing the ICS source code (link to TechCrunch article).

How soon do you think we will we see it on the TP?

(I'm posting this as a discussion starter. I'm not trying to start any fires!)
    <thread moved>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NealJ777 View Post
    Google will be releasing the ICS source code (link to TechCrunch article).

How soon do you think we will we see it on the TP?

(I'm posting this as a discussion starter. I'm not trying to start any fires!)
    One of the CM developers (dalingrin) has tweeted that the TP may be the first tablet to be worked on so here's hoping for a Christmas pressie
    That would be awesome. I like web os but I feel like its missing something. Maybe its the apps I dunno. I use it to surf real quick and put it down. Where on my phone I spend hours messing with it. I want that out of my tablet.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    That would be awesome. I like web os but I feel like its missing something. Maybe its the apps I dunno. I use it to surf real quick and put it down. Where on my phone I spend hours messing with it. I want that out of my tablet.

sent from my thunderbolt
    I'm in webOS right now, surfing away. Been running CM7 earlier too, it's all good.

I can work around the webOS quirks and appreciate the UI but this 3.0.4 'Install Later' rubbish is driving me to insanity.

Yeh, I could get a terminal app and run some commands to kill it but really?!
    probably next year
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I'm in webOS right now, surfing away. Been running CM7 earlier too, it's all good.

I can work around the webOS quirks and appreciate the UI but this 3.0.4 'Install Later' rubbish is driving me to insanity.

Yeh, I could get a terminal app and run some commands to kill it but really?!
    You could just download the doctor and do it yourself, no need to Install Later, if you don't want to.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    You could just download the doctor and do it yourself, no need to Install Later, if you don't want to.

WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Sorry, I don't quite follow, I'd like to stay on 3.0.2 for the time being (accelerometer issues, et al ...) and would like to disable the automatic update feature.

I'll probably end up killing the daemon as has been recommended elsewhere.

I may go to 3.0.5 if it fixes the issues (and happens) but for now I'll stick with 3.0.2 for general browsing duty.
    I have two android devices a Asus Transformer and a Sony phone. Both companies have already said that they will be releasing ICS updates. This is very different from when Honeycomb was released. Then there was just rumour and guessing. I assume this is because Google are releasing the SDK.

Therefore, I guess ICS for the TP is a racing certainty.

However, as far as I am aware the minimum hardware requirement for ICS has not yet been release. But if it will run on a Transformer, it will run on a TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    However, as far as I am aware the minimum hardware requirement for ICS has not yet been release. But if it will run on a Transformer, it will run on a TP.
    If your device is running 2.3 or better, you can run 4.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    If your device is running 2.3 or better, you can run 4.0.
    Yes, this is my understanding, but I have not been able to find the minimum and recommended hardware requirement when looked tor it a couple if days ago.
    I think the oldest phone with gingerbread is the google nexus one, so 512mb + ram, 998Mhz + CPU, etc will probably be minimum spec if there is a min spec.

Full nexus one specifications: HTC Google Nexus One - Full phone specifications
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The TP will run ICS - what's nice (well for people like me) is that ICS has native stylus support which is a big big plus for the sorts of things I do and also generally for people using a tablet.
    dreadlion42 likes this.
    In the coming months......

But that will probably really be, in the coming months, not next summer
    dreadlion42 likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    In the coming months......

But that will probably really be, in the coming months, not next summer
    Whose summer ya talking about?

It's just warming up here
    spud101 and sledge007 like this.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Well, considering how good Gingerbread runs on the TP already, I can't wait for ICS. I just loaded CM7, and while I know that there are lots of things to fix, it runs quite well. Feels as or more responsive than webOS and the keyboard is far more accurate. Seems like the CMteam has the biggest driver issues worked out, so I'm hoping that we have a stable ICS port within a month or two after source code release.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman13 View Post
    Well, considering how good Gingerbread runs on the TP already, I can't wait for ICS. I just loaded CM7, and while I know that there are lots of things to fix, it runs quite well. Feels as or more responsive than webOS and the keyboard is far more accurate. Seems like the CMteam has the biggest driver issues worked out, so I'm hoping that we have a stable ICS port within a month or two after source code release.
    First, the Nexus Prime needs to be released. Google does not release the code until the first device running the OS is released and then you have to wait at least a few months for a stable build to be done for the first devices. So if everything when smoothly and on time then the earliest is mid/late January.
    ICS source code (and Honeycomb) was released yesterday afternoon; it appears that the ICS
    release does include the build configuration for the Galaxy Nexus, so things are getting closer...

https://groups.google.com/group/andr...19a1455a?pli=1
    CyanogenMod developers live by a simple rule when it comes to releases: "We don't give an ETA."

And I can't blame 'em for that, either. People get ****y when devs off-handedly even mention a date range and miss it by even a day. It'll happen when it happens, and it's definitely coming to the Touchpad. Patience, grasshoppers, and follow the project lead on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/dalingrin

That said, it could be two months, or it could be four months. I wouldn't expect anything within 60 days, considering it took 100 days just to get CyanogenMod up and running to Android 2.3.