Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 1 Post By jblather
  • 1 Post By jblather
  • 1 Post By next_milenium
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I'm planning to install android to my TP but I want to be sure that its worth it so I need to ask you a favor that will make me decide to do it.

Unfortunately, watching Live stream sites like twitch.tv is very choppy with WebOS. With 3.0.4 it really got better but only at 480p but it still slightly choppy.

** On the other hand, watching flash from youtube runs smooth even at 1080p, I dunno why its only doing this with LIVE stream videos **

Earlier today, I went to best buy and tested out some newer android phones and tablets (asus transformer and acronia) and played some LIVE Streams. I tried 720p and I was actually surprised on how smooth it plays. It is like running 24 fps.

So it got me thinking that maybe if I installed CM7, I will be having that similar quality.

I watch a lot of LIVE Starcraft 2 streams.

Could anyone please test and see what its like to play 720p.

Please go here:

StarCraft 2 - News, VODs, Live Streams - Teamliquid Coverage

On the middle-right part of the screen you should see SC2 Video/Live Video Streams (examples are 'ESV TV's Stream, NASL.tv's Stream, IGNProLeague's Stream, and many more).

You can click one of those streams and just change the resolution to 720p and make it full screen. Please post your observations. If possible, you can boot to WebOS so you'll know the difference.

This would really be appreciated guys.

Thank you in advanced.

EDIT: BTW, don't choose NASL.tv's stream because you can't choose resolutions more than 360p.
    Last edited by keplenk; 10/20/2011 at 09:00 PM.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Given that video playback is one of the things that the current alpha versions have problems with, it's not currently a good test.

I can play 720p perfectly well on my other (lower specced) Android tablet, the OS is not the issue, the current state of the TouchPad port is likely to be the bigger problem.

Rest assured, give it a few weeks and the TouchPad port will no doubt play 720p streams without issue.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knightnz View Post
    Given that video playback is one of the things that the current alpha versions have problems with, it's not currently a good test.

I can play 720p perfectly well on my other (lower specced) Android tablet, the OS is not the issue, the current state of the TouchPad port is likely to be the bigger problem.

Rest assured, give it a few weeks and the TouchPad port will no doubt play 720p streams without issue.
    I really hope so. I was kinda disappointed with 3.0.4 with regards to Live stream flash playback. I know that the hardware is capable since older android devices (phones) with slower processor plays 720p fine.

However, if someone can still test it with CM7 and compare it to WebOS on the TP and if you notice a difference (even if it is little), I believe that might be more than enough for me to jump.

Thanks again.
    We've created a forum over on AndroidCentral to discuss the Android on Touchpad stuff. If you want people to check stuff out, that would be a better location to get help

HP Touchpad - Android Forums
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Thanks will do!
    Read this

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...l-members.html

This was written well in advance of the TouchPad launch. It explains what this site is all about. Personally, the whole Android thing interests me, but only to the extent that my gf has a TouchPad and an Android phone. She prefers Android, I prefer webOS. Once something stable comes out, I will probably install it on her TouchPad, as she doesn't really have the knowhow or interest to learn....she just wants to use it. That's totally fine with me, I like that kind of stuff.

I really don't see what the big deal is with talking about Android on a TouchPad over at Android|Central. I have an account there as well.

I reiterate that I'm not anti-Android, but there is a designated place to talk about Android, on a plethora of devices, and that is at AC.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    geekpeter likes this.
    I installed the Alpha 2 CM Android last night and I must say that I'm blown away by how fast it is. It boots in a hurry and everything seems to work. I will try the video test later.

It's not as intuitive as webOS and I miss the cards, etc. But it's a homerun.
    Last edited by jblather; 10/21/2011 at 06:13 PM.
    keplenk likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jblather View Post
    I installed the Alpha 2.1 CM Android last night and I must say that I'm blown away by how fast it is. It boots in a hurry and everything seems to work. I will try the video test later.

It's not as intuitive as webOS and I miss the cards, etc. But it's a homerun.
    I would really appreciate your findings about my concern. Let me know as soon as you tested it.

Thanks!
    Okay, when I go to that site, I see nothing. I guess I need Adobe Flash installed first? Doesn't Android come with Flash already installed like webOS does?

If I need to install it on Android, where do I get it? As you can tell, I'm a complete noobie when it comes to Android.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Okay, when I go to that site, I see nothing. I guess I need Adobe Flash installed first? Doesn't Android come with Flash already installed like webOS does?

If I need to install it on Android, where do I get it? As you can tell, I'm a complete noobie when it comes to Android.
    I'm not sure too cause I haven't used Cyanogenmod on my phone. The one that I have already has flash when I bought it.

Anyway, I think you have to install market first in order to get flash.

Sorry man, I'm also a noob when it comes to CM.

Thanks
    Go to the market and install flash from there. The market also needs to be installed separately. (GAPPS)

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    I found out that in order to use the Market, you have to have a gmail.com account first. LAME!

So I did that and searched and found a Flash App.

Okay, so I go to the OP's link. I picked a ProTech stream, switched to 720p and it seems to play just fine.

I also played a stream from KIMSUNGJE. Seems to work ok at 720p.

All the streaming vids are of other people playing games. So, it's hard to tell if it's fluid or if what I'm seeing are just artifacts of the other guy's computer.
    keplenk likes this.
    no matter if you use webos or android, the video playback quality will depend on network speed.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I found out that in order to use the Market, you have to have a gmail.com account first. LAME!

So I did that and searched and found a Flash App.

Okay, so I go to the OP's link. I picked a ProTech stream, switched to 720p and it seems to play just fine.

I also played a stream from KIMSUNGJE. Seems to work ok at 720p.

All the streaming vids are of other people playing games. So, it's hard to tell if it's fluid or if what I'm seeing are just artifacts of the other guy's computer.
    Thanks for the extra effort. I really appreciate it. I will study android on the TP before I do it. Thanks again!

@next_milenium: Hmm .. at first I thought it was like that however, I have FIOS with 45 down / 35 up. Playing Live SC2 stream on my PC is just fine.

I dunno, for some reason, playing live stream on the TP is just laggy at 720p. Its just the video, the audio is fine. Even at 1080p, the audio is not stuttering, its just the video. I'm pretty sure its an encoding related issue.
    keplenk, no problem. Installing Android CM7 Alpha2 was really easy. Just one command and it was installed before I knew it. It's amazing how much faster it is than webOS.
    I found out that in order to use the Market, you have to have a gmail.com account first. LAME!.
    Oh come on now, it takes about 2 minutes, maybe less, to create a gmail account! And you get a lot of cool free features in return.
    That's what I wound up doing.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Tip for new gmail users - if you save your photos in google photos they will automatically appear in the gallery on your device and very shortly, if you use chrome, that will synch with the browser on your device.

Also if you like synergy, get gmail to collect and answer for all your email accounts.
    Another tip that I was surprised people didn't know about -- you can go to your contacts via Gmail and edit them (add photos, addresses, etc) on your computer, and they will sync to your phone in a few seconds. I've seen people struggling to add info to contact records on their phones who were delighted to know they could just use their computer.