Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I don't bother wiping, I only do that if I do have problems.
    Heh heh ... sometimes I wish I was more mature
    Quote Originally Posted by sm007h View Post
    Hold Power (At top of TP) and Home Button (On bottom face of TP) for a couple seconds.

1. Choose reboot.
    2. Select Recovery and click ok.
    [some people like to do steps 3-7 but some people think it's overkill and skip right to 8]
    3. Choose Wipe Cache Partion.
    4. Choose Wipe Data / Factory Reset.
    5. Choose Advanced.
    6. Choose Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    7. Go Back.
    8. Choose install zip from sdcard
    9. Choose 'choose zip from sdcard'
    10. Navigate to your Alpha 2.1 Zip File.
    11. Click Yes - Install update-cm-7.1.0-tenderloin-a2.1-fullofbugs.zip.
    12. After installed, Go Back.
    13. Choose Wipe Cache Partion.
    14. Choose Wipe Data / Factory Reset. [optional, but will ensure the cleanest install]
    15. Choose Advanced.
    16. Choose Wipe Dalvik Cache.
    17. Go Back.
    18. Choose Reboot.

wiping data/factory reset will delete all of your apps and settings. This reduces the chance of getting force closures or any incompatibilities but takes the longest in setting your TP back up. you can also backup all of your data in TitaniumBackup and restore it after the update, but this early in development it's probably a good idea to only install the apps (and not the data) if you try to use TitaniumBackup.
    Probably what I'll have to do to get this working and give it a try. I tried to install cm-7.1.0-a2.1 this evening following the instructions in the readme and video demonstration and misc instructions and I'm getting stuck at the

countdown - msm_timer_failure

error that doesn't seem to pass and continue processing properly.

Does the ACMEInstaller need internet access to complete this process properly or is everything needed in the update zips, moboot.zip, etc?

Thankfully they created a ACMEuninstaller that worked just fine and remove any changes put in place before failure. Looks like I'll need to be more patient and look forward to future Cyanogenmod TouchPad updates options. Sorli...
    I clicked on cgk's link. Look for a thread by JCochrane

[TUT] Installing Android CyanogenMod 7.1 Alpha 2a on HP TouchPad
    Easy, easy instructions. I missed one step, but it wasn't critical, and I was able to correct it later. If you find the thread, you will see what I mean. Haven't played around sll that much, more of a proof of concept/make sure everything works/flipped back and forth a few times, that's about all for now.

No denying the apps, and to be honest, there are so many, I don't even know where to start. I sure can appreciate webOS multitasking. Don't ask me about Netflix, I'm not going there.
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/24/2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    sorli likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Easy, easy instructions. I missed one step, but it wasn't critical, and I was able to correct it later. If you find the thread, you will see what I mean. Haven't played around sll that much, more of a proof of concept/make sure everything works/flipped back and forth a few times, that's about all for now.

No denying the apps, and to be honest, there are so many, I don't even kmow where to start. I sure can appreciate webOS multitasking. Don't ask me about Netflix, I'm not going there.
    The multitasking is big hole in the CM7 experience, as is the simple joy of flicking the apps away.

I've been playing around with Google Earth and Google Maps with the Streetview add-on lately. It's my first experience of these apps on a tablet and they run very well indeed.
    sorli likes this.
    1. what's a good task manager for CM7 (on my galaxy s I could hold the home button to pull up a task manager and kill open apps)

2. Videos are jittery - I still use webos for watching movies (prob the only reason I'm using webos now)
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    1. what's a good task manager for CM7 (on my galaxy s I could hold the home button to pull up a task manager and kill open apps)

2. Videos are jittery - I still use webos for watching movies (prob the only reason I'm using webos now)
    As I understand it Android is best left to itself to manage tasks. I am also used to being able to get into the internals and be sure the resources aren't being wasted.

Being an Android beginner I am willing to be proven wrong though.

The video performance is a bit lacking at the moment, I'm sure it will improve. After all, it's only one small step up from a 'Lower Your Expectations' release
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    To those having issues with videos, I have to ask what program are you using?

I have found mobo player with the arm7 codex pack to be superior in every way to kalemsoft for everything I throw at it.

No denying the apps, and to be honest, there are so many, I don't even know where to start. I sure can appreciate webOS multitasking. Don't ask me about Netflix, I'm not going there.
    WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE!.........We've been expecting you. Can I interest you in a Maple Leafs avatar?
    LOL....here, let me think about that for a minute. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No.

Dark side eh? What makes you think I was ever on the Light side? You're talking OS's, I might be talking about something different altogether

I'll admit it, curiosity got me. It's different, I can't say I'm swayed, maybe the fact that I've put up with, and dealt with and worked around with webOS for so long, but the multitasking is leaps and bounds ahead of the current version.

I've played around a bit, with my gf's phone, but I know myself too well, and I'd just end up messing up her stuff, so I figured I'd have a go at it with my own device.

Some apps that I've seen and wanted for my device that I have access to now are: Torque, Google Sky Maps (not sure how these two will work without GPS, but considering buying one of those GPS keychain receivers), a guitar tuner(gStrings is good from what I've read in some guitar forums)

I'm still good sticking with webOS though. Just have a few missing holes to fill.

(Took me forever to find out how to change the wallpaper. One would think it should be in Settings, it's in Other. Earth Live is a pretty neat live one.)
    Last edited by sledge007; 10/25/2011 at 07:17 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Google Sky Maps (not sure how these two will work without GPS, but considering buying one of those GPS keychain receivers)
    Just use Fake GPS to manually set where you are if you want to test them.
    sorli and DeadVim like this.
    Is that an app, or a setting?
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Is that an app, or a setting?
    App - it's available in the market.
    LOL....here, let me think about that for a minute. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No.

Dark side eh? What makes you think I was ever on the Light side? You're talking OS's, I might be talking about something different altogether

I'll admit it, curiosity got me. It's different, I can't say I'm swayed, maybe the fact that I've put up with, and dealt with and worked around with webOS for so long, but the multitasking is leaps and bounds ahead of the current version.

I've played around a bit, with my gf's phone, but I know myself too well, and I'd just end up messing up her stuff, so I figured I'd have a go at it with my own device.

Some apps that I've seen and wanted for my device that I have access to now are: Torque, Google Sky Maps (not sure how these two will work without GPS, but considering buying one of those GPS keychain receivers), a guitar tuner(gStrings is good from what I've read in some guitar forums)

I'm still good sticking with webOS though. Just have a few missing holes to fill.

(Took me forever to find out how to change the wallpaper. One would think it should be in Settings, it's in Other. Earth Live is a pretty neat live one.)
    Agreed x 100 on the multi-tasking thing. As a fellow canuck, I'm sure got in on the killer (at the time) deal that bell mobility was offering on the palm pre and got taken in by webos like me.

Like so many others, I too feel the need to first give a nod to webos' superior multitasking and most elegant UI before I discuss my use of CM7 on my TP.

The thing is, I have realized over the last three days (since I last booted into webos), that I am not much of a multitasker. While I rely on my tablet for a few core activities (magazine reading, movie watching/downloading, web surfing, email) I pretty much do only one of them at a time. Of the tasks that I do, all of them have better and more choices under android with the possible exception of email, which I do the least.

Under Alpha 2.1, I have found the battery life to be greatly improved and I'm sure the gap between cm7 and webos in this respect will be further closed with future optimization.

I have to say that if ICS brings card like multitasking, or is able to somehow improve on the concept, I may actually find myself grudgingly saying goodbye to webos for good as my palm pre is pretty much dead at this point (touchscreen is getting flakey) and I may have to find a way to somehow flip that bell incentive plan onto a cheapy android phone (gio keeps going on sale at zellers). I think Toni Cipriani has indicated that this can be done.

Sledge007, could you clarify or send us a link you referenced above "cgk's link" and the thread by JCochrane?

I tried to find what you were referencing, but haven't been so luckily and thanks for the help. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    ...the heck is Alpha 2a? Latest is Alpha 2.1
    Thanks for the reference and link repost that worked for me. Presently running CM7 2.1a I think and busy logging into my Gmail account and downloading apps! Yikes their are a bunch of apps and GetJar.com is pretty interesting (not sure how legal it is).

I love technology! Sorli...

Update - forgot to mention that things went MUCH smoother and quicker by first Backing Up my USB partition and then using webOS to delete the USB storage first. I had about 10gb of movies and music on my TP and I'm sure it was busy trying to move things around and make space for CM7. Clearing space also made room for the apps I've been busy downloading...at least the apps brings a smile even though I already miss webOS simplicity and multitasking. Don't quite get Android yet, Sorli...
    Last edited by sorli; 10/25/2011 at 04:19 PM.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234