Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I'd be interested to know what percentage of time that people who are dual-booting are spending in WebOS as opposed to Android?

What are you doing in the one OS that is easier or better than the other?

For my own use, I honestly haven't booted back into WebOS since I installed the dual-boot, even in the Alpha I have access to the apps I need and haven't found a reason to use WebOS.
    Good question and haven't even thought about making the move until now simply because Alpha is after all Alpha and comes with a whole bunch of problems all its own.

Question for you - Is the present CM7 build in Alpha form good enough for public use? What do you like, dislike, problems, etc. I guess if Android would allow a similar swipe card app switching interface like webOS I could get used to it, but I also suspect that would require some ROM cooking to make happen and Android in its present state is just so unintuitive. Looking forward to Beta! Sorli...
    I use CM7 sparingly, I booted it up installed a few apps and set up my homescreens the way I wanted.

I did it more to check it out then any other reason, its cool and I've got to give a big thumbs up and thank you to the devs that have worked on this. I'm sure it will only get much better.

-From my OG EVO
    Sorli,

Acording to CM it is not for the faint of heart when it comes to android. There are still enough issue that should make someone pause. My thought is as long as android can't brick the device we should be ok.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Good question and haven't even thought about making the move until now simply because Alpha is after all Alpha and comes with a whole bunch of problems all its own.

Question for you - Is the present CM7 build in Alpha form good enough for public use? What do you like, dislike, problems, etc. I guess if Android would allow a similar swipe card app switching interface like webOS I could get used to it, but I also suspect that would require some ROM cooking to make happen and Android in its present state is just so unintuitive. Looking forward to Beta! Sorli...
    The biggest problem for me at the moment is that the wifi keeps dropping out, otherwise I am getting a lot more use out of it - leaving aside games (which the other half likes a lot), I am using it a lot for PDFs and also for using evernote (which has a proper tablet app) and also Zinio - all work fine.

Otherwise I'd say it is fairly stable.
    I installed CM7 2 days ago and at first didn't like it but it has grown on me. I do have an HTC evo running gingerbread so I was fairly familiar with the operating system. I told myself that for the next few days I will use CM7 exclusively and then I will step back and give my opinion. My only REAL issue is that when CM7 goes into the "sleep of death" you have to do a hard reset. This is even after I used setCPU to raise the minimum frequency. I left the Touchpad on the touchstone last night and this morning it was dead. It doesn't even charge when its dead either. I booted back to webOS and it showed 27% battery =(
    For my own use, I honestly haven't booted back into WebOS since I installed the dual-boot, even in the Alpha I have access to the apps I need and haven't found a reason to use WebOS.
    Of course, because you are a androfan assumed. Until there, nothing more can be expected...

But to me, the Android still have the same "beta face" as always, and I look searching for "something" that is missing...

For now, still is only a curious and the webOS continue here, in first place...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Of course, because you are a androfan assumed. Until there, nothing more can be expected...
    This is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part - I don't care about android in the slightest, in fact I dislike it, it's an ugly operating system that is not straight forward to use and drives me nuts because the GUI is not consistent unless you want to spend 100s of hours making your own themes and the like (why oh why can't I make all the widgets the same colour??).

I'd remove it in an instant if I can access the products and services I need on WebOS. However, until that happens (if it happens), I'll continue to use Android for the services I need. Tell you what, you tell me if this is possible currently and if it is, I'll boot into WebOS and carry on using it:

1) The ability to annotate PDFs + text reflow of PDFs.

2) Access to Zinio (coming soon I believe)

3) Access to a tablet version of evernote that .
    I am currently using webos. Android drains my tp battery so quickly, plus I hate sleep of dealth, it happened once and I had to reboot it.
    My usage pattern since installing CyanogenMod: 90% CM7, 10% webOS.

The 'battery drain' issue hasn't happened to me, and the issue with charging from the Touchstone (where it charges slower than the unit expends battery) only happened once. For the "Sleep of Death" issue, I locked Wi-Fi on and put sleep in SetCPU to 384Mhz and 1.5Ghz during active use. It's been pretty smooth, and no show-stopping problems since. Obviously, there are some issues (see the CM7 issues list, for example) but for daily home use and apps I need, CM7 has pretty much taken over webOS for the time being.

Could that change? Perhaps, but unless there are some serious performance enhancements to webOS (especially with its browser) and app development to fill in the gaps, not likely. I'll use webOS to work on maintaining and testing my app when issues are submitted, but that's probably the only use I have for it at the moment.
    Last edited by vanadium; 10/17/2011 at 11:26 AM.
    i use it for a couple games and netflix. Other than that I use webOS for everything. Especially browsing.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    But to me, the Android still have the same "beta face" as always, and I look searching for "something" that is missing...

For now, still is only a curious and the webOS continue here, in first place...

Best Regards...
    I haven't used CM7 on my tablet but I have the exact same OS on my phone. I can give my opinion because I use both on a daily basis. WebOS is a better tablet OS and I'd choose Android in a phone. I might prefer the OS in the Touchpad but WebOS has so many holes with apps and performance in the browser that I will probably use Android the most when a RC or stable version is released.

Here are the reasons why I'll end up using Android more:
    - I hate the keyboard on WebOS. I much prefer Swiftkey X for typing and it's predictive options at the top are phenomenal.

- The browser blows on WebOS. I miss Dolphin HD each and every time I use the Touchpad's browser

-Google Voice Search is great for just clicking it, saying what my search is and the voice translation is perfect so far.

- The Mosaic news app for the Touchpad is amazing but it's also amazingly slow, which means I much prefer Pulse News on Android. The speed of Mosaic means I hardly ever use it.

- Netflix app

- Amazon apps

- CM7 is just plain faster on my 1Ghz single core phone.

There are numerous other apps that I like but if WebOS had the above then I'd be in WebOS 95% of the time. I see myself using WebOS about 10% of the time once a stable version is released.
    bad question for the moment as it will still have a novelty factor, best asked when the hype has died down and people use them both normally.
    One note: Lest anyone call me an 'Androfan', I've been a webOS user since my purchase of a Sprint Pre on Launch Day, 2009 and have been an Early Access webOS developer since July, 2009. I'm just not dogmatic about operating systems, and do not understand those who are. Hell, every day I use Windows, OS/X, Linux (several flavors), Android, and webOS in some fashion or another.

To me, it's all about the right tool for the job, and as I rapidly find webOS lacking in critical areas the more time goes on, the robustness of the Android ecosystem fills all the gaps perfectly and then some. A card-based multitasking metaphor can only go so far toward productivity, and I'm not going to hang onto an entire OS just because it's has cards.
    I've only booted back into webOS twice - once to verify that I could and another time to make sure my media volume was still intact.

There's just nothing there for me to go back to.
    I've used webos and android about equally - although my time is getting shifted in one direction by apps like netflix.

Whats more, every day I seem to discover yet another thing that I prefer in android... For example, just today I got around to installing the getjar app market, and low and behold, they have splashtop there for free. I installed it, and immediately realized it is ABSOLUTELY SUPERIOR to the regular touchpad webos splashtop app. Streaming is nearly instantaneous vs webOS where there's a very obvious lag between tap and response. Streaming is smoother and without choppiness. It's so good I was sitting here playing a UMS game on starcraft 2 reasonably proficiently with my bluetooth keyboard and the touchscreen. Almost 1:1 interaction with touchpad compared to interaction on the computer. Amazing, truly amazing.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Apps.

99% of the time I'm in Android for that reason. I can't even have a decent ebook reading experience on WebOS (even the Kindle app is astoundingly slow).
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I've used webos and android about equally - although my time is getting shifted in one direction by apps like netflix.

Whats more, every day I seem to discover yet another thing that I prefer in android... For example, just today I got around to installing the getjar app market, and low and behold, they have splashtop there for free. I installed it, and immediately realized it is ABSOLUTELY SUPERIOR to the regular touchpad webos splashtop app. Streaming is nearly instantaneous vs webOS where there's a very obvious lag between tap and response. Streaming is smoother and without choppiness. It's so good I was sitting here playing a UMS game on starcraft 2 reasonably proficiently with my bluetooth keyboard and the touchscreen. Almost 1:1 interaction with touchpad compared to interaction on the computer. Amazing, truly amazing.

peopel like myself probably arent swayed by some apps like the TV/Music apps that onyl show their content free/etc in the USA and to no1 else, been soem nice apps ive seen but only work for america in america and websites/apps tell me in the UK that my country isnt supported for thsi content.

If everyone the world round had access to some of the free stuff americans get then more apps in that area would be of use, but as it stands i cant use those so their no big deal for me.

netflix/pandora and a fair few others are mentioned a lot that sway/swing people round, myself and people like me however are greeted with, Sorry, Netflix/RandApp123 is not available in your country.

So guessing american users have a lot more useful/handy apps than the rest of us have, in the areas that count more.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

Just tried it - that's pretty neat - anyone know how much older this version is that the version on the Google market (getjar apps ten to be older versions)?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I pretty much been using android, I'm a apps ***** lol. I still use WebOS for my YouTube fix. For some reason I can't get it to run smoothly on android. I do wish we could get more apps for WebOS, I really liked the system
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast