Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree14Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Yes - the UI on CM7 does SUCK, no question! Unless you're a tech enthusiast that wants to experiment, the only reason to run it is to get access to all those Android Market and Amazon Appstore apps. CM9 should have a much better UI though.

CM9 is starting to feel very nice actually.. it's only Alpha V.0 atm.. so there is still much that just does not function yet. I am happy to see that there is less resistance to the word 'Android' on our webOS Nation Forum now and when we consider the role of Matias Duarte's focus on the 'user experience' aspect of BOTH OS's then it is indeed perhaps fitting.. and just!

I have CM7 on here, thinking about going CM9. Don't care much for CM7. Like all versions of andriod I have used to date, it's clunky, buggy, and generally not a great OS. I use Ubuntu on my desktop, and have xubuntu in chroot. I prefer WebOS on the tablet. It's a great tablet OS IMHO. I had never seen WebOS before I got the touchpad. I tried dolphin HD on CM7, but I hate it. Prefer WebOS for browsing. I watch Hulu videos in WebOS with the hulu mod. I watch crackle on WebOS, I don't subscribe to Netflix. I like being able to have whatever app I may need to do something if I can't do it in WebOS, but 97-98% of my use is in WebOS, with the 2-3% split between xubuntu (would use more if it was for tablets) and CM7.
    I use CM7 more than ~98.88% of the time. How did I calculate that? In the past one month, I booted webOS twice for maybe 8 hours total. This, despite my dislike for Android and it's amateurish UI.

Why is that?
    • Stupid HP App catalog geo-restrictions. HP, what's the point of geo-restricting even free apps? And what is the point of it all after deciding to opensource webOS? Thanks to App Tuckerbox, my Pre 2 can benefit from a few good free apps.
    • Apps, apps, apps... yes, Android is BAD, but there are some delightful, inspired and useful apps for Android (THAT ONE CAN BUY DESPITE BEING FROM A FILTHY THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY. Smacks of a subtle kind of rAcIsM, if you know what I mean.).
    • Over-reliance on the home-button in webOS (my brother had to throw away a perfectly good iPoo because the home button stopped functioning). Pre 2 had this part down perfectly.

Ok... CM7 reboots frequently, but that's stopped bothering me for some reason.
    Game over!
    You are aware, that if you turn on "Advanced Gestures" in the settings, an upswipe from the bottom bezel will perform the same action as the home button, leaving the home button only to be uniquely used for screenshots and hard-rebooting?

International commerce, even of free things, is quite a legal shambles.

I have yet to find any apps I want to do anything with on Android. Their market is so **** poorly designed, it makes it very difficult to browse for something, and if you're not interested in the stupid tablet games that people are pushing out millions of it seems, it doesn't seem like you'll ever find anything.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I have yet to find any apps I want to do anything with on Android. Their market is so **** poorly designed, it makes it very difficult to browse for something, and if you're not interested in the stupid tablet games that people are pushing out millions of it seems, it doesn't seem like you'll ever find anything.
    I can agree with you that it is difficult to separate out the wheat from the chaff. The Market is full of crap... but then, putting-down tablet games is unfair. There are some excellent games, both for grown-ups and kids. (yeah, I have several games on my CM7 TP). But I also have some other utilities and productivity apps that I use almost everyday to the point that I rely on these, like Kindle/ Audible, uPnP player(s), K-9, recipe/ cooking apps.

In an age where Amazon, eBay, PayPal and Google have essentially erased national boundaries and made retail purchase possible (and painless) across countries, Palm's (and HP's) decision is in-excusable. I was hoping that opening-up of the catalog would be the first thing HP would do after taking over Palm, given HP's global presence. Many of my friends have Pre 2's, Pre 3's, Veer's and TP's... some of them have multiple devices, in a country where these are officially no available, or supported and despite being a country that is iPoo, BB and Android crazy (the days of Nokia appear to be long gone).

Certainly, I miss the better bits of webOS.
    Game over!
    is it me or is the browser fonts more clearer in cm7 android - I booted over to webos and simple web search seemed blurry/small in webos? 3.0.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I can agree with you that it is difficult to separate out the wheat from the chaff. The Market is full of crap... but then, putting-down tablet games is unfair. There are some excellent games, both for grown-ups and kids. (yeah, I have several games on my CM7 TP). But I also have some other utilities and productivity apps that I use almost everyday to the point that I rely on these, like Kindle/ Audible, uPnP player(s), K-9, recipe/ cooking apps.
    I am a game programmer by trade, I don't mean to say "all tablet games suck", i mean to say that "there are a lot of tablet games that do suck". Let me just look at what's new on the iOS catalog today:

A Amazing Halloween Game, A Angry Turkey (Lite), AAA Fortune Teller HD, A Baby Jungle!, A Angry Tank, Abandoned Souls HD, Angry Vampire, Angry Bear

That's the new games in the "A" section of the catalog today. Four of them are gaming the alphabetical ordering in the catalog to try to gain some attention, and all of the "Angry" games seem to be identical to each other with graphics changes. Strangely, none of them look like they are anything like "Angry Birds" either. Even the one that isn't a complete rip, has such amazing features listed in it's description as "3D Pictures" and "Attractive Sound Effect". Really?

Now, moving over to Android.. well, I can't really do a comparison here, because I can't figure out a way to show "new" apps. OK, so, you have no way of browsing the catalog, except for Featured Apps and "Top New" "Top Free" "Top Paid" "Top Grossing". The Android market sucks from a user perspective. And likely sucks even MORE from a developer perspective, because it doesn't look like unless you appear on the "Top" lists that anyone will ever find you.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    If you find the Android Market app unacceptable for browsing new apps (and I'm not sold on the usefulness of alphabetical listings for hundreds of thousands of apps, but to each his own), use AppBrain instead, and you will have stumbled onto one of the beautiful things about Android -- if you don't like the way something is done, there's an alternative way to do almost everything I prefer the Top lists myself, so I don't need an alternative, but it's out there for you if you do.

I mostly use the web version of the Market and tell it to install the app onto my tablet or phone from there, unless I'm just nowhere near my computer.
    I like being able to browse by "new" or "date released" .. which both HP and Apple do. The Android catalog's closest equivalent is "Top New", which shows most downloaded items over the last 3weeks to a month .. and the lowest download count on there right now is over 10,000 downloads. SO, how do you find things that don't have 10k downloads? You can't .. at least not in the stock catalog.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    SO, how do you find things that don't have 10k downloads? You can't .. at least not in the stock catalog.
    As I mentioned in my previous post, there's an app for that (AppBrain). If the stock Market app doesn't do what you want, then use an alternative. Problem solved. Having more than one way to do something is a blessing.

Most people prefer to browse the top apps anyway for obvious reasons. Maybe that's not ideal for developers, but if the app is good (or not good, and just something people want for whatever reason), it will make its way to the top. Your complaints are valid, but probably not a concern for most users.
    I have CM7 Alpha 2 & WebOS 3.0.5.

I use it 80% WebOS & 20% CM7.

I mostly do work type stuff on WebOS (Email, document review and some light editing; also some personal stuff like facebook and internet forums), I use CM7 for Netflix, and some games, and multimedia apps.

I find WebOS to be great for :
    -multitasking (email, web, docs, etc open at the same time and switching between them)
    -email client is the best I have used so far on either of these and even iOS (consolidation of multiple mailboxes and working with it quickly with the sliding views);
    - Box.net integration to update documents
    - Free Office document viewer and editor, that works pretty well for a tablet device (still very lightweight compared to a PC)
    - FB & Forums apps are not bad, and the web browser works OK with these as well.
    - WiFi client now actually seems to work well when moving between different locations and hotspots.

CM7 seems to be great for:
    - App selection - like netflix, and many other games and interesting apps
    - Boots much faster (compared to WebOS), and seems more responsive and faster when working with Apps.

Areas both need to improve on:
    - multimedia content and management still a mess & way behind iOS ecosystem (renting movies, music, etc)
    - Smoothness & UI responsiveness (also boot up) still needs some work
    jrstinkfish, for sure. i poked at App Brain for a little while today, it almost does what I want, but it's somehow even uglier and less responsive than the stock one. i'll poke around at some others and see what I come up with, if there are others. If not, maybe I'll write one.

I use about 99% webOS, I poke at CM7 and CM9 to see what it's like in there. The more I use iOS and Android, the more i love webOS.

The mail reader on iOS looks like what webOS would have if it were built by people who cared about making beautiful apps, not just well designed apps. Unfortunately, once you get past that outer shell, the whole thing breaks down in seconds. I haven't tried Android's, I now have far too many devices accessing my inbox all at once. If the iOS beauty married the webOS functionality, it would be the greatest thing ever, except it would still need threaded viewing.

The Android boot time is just insane. INSANE I TELL YOU. And it could probably be even faster !! webOS sucks for boot time. I don't know about iOS, I've never turned my iPad off. I've had it for 3 weeks, and haven't had a single lockup, reboot, or power drain below 35%. I know my iPod takes about 2 days to startup. (yes, i'm exaggerating, for the pedantic people..)
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog-yota View Post
    I use it 80% WebOS & 20% CM7.
    I barely used WebOS at all because I consider it unbearable. Android CM7 was uninspiring. I am now running Android CM9 Alpha0.5 and find it astonishingly impressive.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I have a question now that CM9 is out; what's next for the touchpad? Is this the last OS that will be developed for it? Is there anything else on the horizon or do we wait for the next new tablet device?
    jrstinkfish, for sure. i poked at App Brain for a little while today, it almost does what I want, but it's somehow even uglier and less responsive than the stock one. i'll poke around at some others and see what I come up with, if there are others. If not, maybe I'll write one.
    Yeah, I haven't used AppBrain since the Android Market rolled out its website -- I used to use it to browse apps from my computer and queue them up for my phone, and also for its ability to reinstall all of your apps when you get a new device, but now that the Market does both of those things, I don't even have AppBrain installed anymore.

But if it's not already out there, some sort of app that would help people who want more options in browsing would be a great idea, hop on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by maypo52 View Post
    I have a question now that CM9 is out; what's next for the touchpad? Is this the last OS that will be developed for it? Is there anything else on the horizon or do we wait for the next new tablet device?
    That's a weird question to ask. CM9 (ICS) is the latest and greatest version of Android. WebOS 3.0.5 is the latest and greatest version of webOS. Unless future versions of each OS require more power than the TouchPad's hardware can provide, we will continue to see OS updates on the device. CM9 is still in alpha so expect updates to it for some time. WebOS is now open source and the roadmap for it has the first major release towards the end of the summer. So expect someone to port it to the current TouchPad after the release. I think as long as we keep supporting the developers we will continue to see updates and improvements to the software.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Ok, so I took the plunge and fooled around with putting CM7 on my daughter's TouchPad. While my excuse was that she now has an Android phone and figured she might want to play with Android on a tablet to match, the reality was I was curious to see how easy/well it would go. It turns out it was so easy that I installed CM9 on my TouchPad.

After a few days of playing with each, my dislike for Android was only reinforced. It's a very utilitarian interface, nowhere near as elegant or intuitive as webOS. CM7 has one thing over webOS - Netflix. CM9 - in its current state has nothing. Well, let me qualify that - Android has apps. The downside is that, as noted above, the Android market is a horrible experience. I think I spent an hour earlier looking for stuff without really finding anything because of the disorganized, horrible wasteland that is the Android market.

Browser performance was so-so (and granted, I haven't tried any of the free browsers mentioned in the forums).

Honestly, the whole experience left me wondering how anyone could say that Android was better than webOS. But I know the answer to that - we all have different tastes, and my preference for an elegant, intuitive OS makes me biased to webOS. I'll still fool around with Android to see if my opinion changes, but it certainly hasn't won me over.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    can someone verify this:

CM7+ Citrix + bluetooth mouse = mouse inside citrix window?

If so, I can totally ditch my laptop!! Already the citrix in CM7 is working awesome but to really get some work done it looks like I need a BT keybaord at the very least and a BT mouse if it works would totally be a desktop replacement.
    I can report that this DOES work though it required a lot of patience with CM7 to get both the mouse and the keyboard working but it can be done for citrix. I think my problem stems from the microsoft mouse which tends to be buggy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    CM7 has one thing over webOS - Netflix.
    Well it has more than one thing And I'm sure webOS has more than one thing over Android. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but it seems like the webOS faithful are hell-bent on painting Android as a steaming pile of excrement with no redeeming qualities, when the fact is that it's a very capable OS that millions of people enjoy using. It's not perfect, but guess what -- neither is webOS.
    The downside is that, as noted above, the Android market is a horrible experience. I think I spent an hour earlier looking for stuff without really finding anything because of the disorganized, horrible wasteland that is the Android market.
    Personally, I have no trouble finding what I need in the Android marketplace. I think some of you are just unwilling to let go of what you've known and learn something new. The time will come where, if you want to use a tablet, you're gonna have to use something besides webOS (your TP will not last forever), so might as well get crackin' on that

One more thing -- CM7 is NOT a tablet OS, nor was it ever meant to be. Of course the UI is going to look out of place on a tablet. And CM9 is being shoehorned onto the TP, so of course it's never going to be the same experience as ICS designed for a certain device. People using ICS on proper devices mostly rave about it, which is why I'm not even bothering with the dev variety right now.
    Last edited by jrstinkfish; 02/13/2012 at 09:50 AM.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456