Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 119
Like Tree14Likes
  1. #81  
    So you're saying native apps actually are important after all? Who knew?
    Wow, way to try to twist something into something it is not...


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  2. #82  
    I'm speechless that a question about the amount of time spent in CM7 goes off point...

    Edit: Not meant to be a hit at you Somline...

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  3. squall77's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #83  
    Sorry I got no interested at all in porting over to CM7. Have been previously using Android table, I am not really an app person, and i guess what is available in Touchpad is enough for me to use it daily for surfing, music and video.

    I do admit it is laggy initially but after all the patches and kernel, it works like a charm now. So no intention to port to CM7, I bought this Touchpad because of the OS....
  4. esqueue's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    #84  
    I installed cm7 alpha 3 last night and was REALLY unimpressed. I know it's an alpha but the way people rave about it is insane.

    I tried a few apps but many of them had issues. It then froze after sleeping but it only takes a few seconds to boot up so I was impressed with that. I love the cards in webos and it makes multitasking super simple.

    CM7 is good for what it is but doesn't cut it for me. I mainly watch video on my tp and not even the best video player could work as it didn't enable h/w decoding.
  5. #85  
    Quote Originally Posted by EsQueue View Post
    I installed cm7 alpha 3 last night and was REALLY unimpressed. I know it's an alpha but the way people rave about it is insane.

    I tried a few apps but many of them had issues. It then froze after sleeping but it only takes a few seconds to boot up so I was impressed with that. I love the cards in webos and it makes multitasking super simple.
    I'd suggest you try alpha 2, as on my TouchPad it was more stable with a lot less app issues. Most people I've seen posting report just the opposite however, saying they're having a better experience on alpha 3.

    Yes - the UI on CM7 does SUCK, no question! Unless you're a tech enthusiast that wants to experiment, the only reason to run it is to get access to all those Android Market and Amazon Appstore apps. CM9 should have a much better UI though.
  6. #86  
    Ok, I have officially used CM7 (Alpha 3 for 24 hours). I had to fight off urges to boot back into webOS. It is not CM7s fault for this. Its an Android thing. I put more work into setting up Android then I do installing and configuring a new version of desktop Linux. I'm getting there though. Just to clear the air, CM7's UI doesn't suck. The UI layout for Android sucks. I posted my thoughts here:

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-...-requests.html
  7. #87  
    Ok, at has been over 48 hours of straight Android use. To the folks here that push Android as superior to webOS, I just want to blow raspberries at you. There are a ton of apps. I will give you that. However, it has been hard as hell to find decent apps that will work on a tablet. Everything is geared towards a damn phone! The market has a tablet recommended section, but those apps are mostly phone apps that are "suppose" to scale right on a tablet. The vast majority of them are games. I can't find a cookbook app to replace Epicurious. The Epicurious app that is in the market is a phone app that won't scale at all. I can't fnd a decent keyboard that looks and works just as good as the webOS keyboard. I'm currently using the "Hacker's Keyboard" and it doesn't autocorrect by default. For the apps that I do have installed, I've gone through at least 3-5 versions of the apps trying to find a good one. Even then it is a lesser of evils choice. The apps that have webOS equivalents don't even come close to the look and feel of their webOS counterpart. The Zinio app on webOS looks and behaves a lot better. So does the Facebook app and Kindle app. The weird part about it all is that the Android versions of the apps have more features. Most of which I wouldn't even use. I have had too many apps crash on me. Android does a horrible job with closing apps that lock up. I have been forced to use the task manager too many times or to reboot the tablet. I mentioned in another thread that I don't understand why Android developers went through the trouble of even designing a system that closes apps for you instead of just letting you close them yourself.

    I understand now why Android is having a hard time on tablets. I mean I knew it before, but the cry from Android apologist here made me second guess myself. It seems that app developers don't care about tablets. Someone fed them a load of crap that there is no need to update their apps for tablets because all apps should scale well. There is no polish to the apps and no consistency. You can tell that no effort whatsoever was even put into making the apps behave well on a larger screen.

    The good thing about all this is that CM7 itself is a masterpiece of software engineering. I am impressed with what the team has done in such a short time. I just hope that things change for Android as a whole with ICS. I'm still having urges to boot back into webOS but I also have this numbing feeling now. If HP doesn't keep webOS and ICS doesn't change app developer's minds about tablets, I now see an iPad in my future.
    Last edited by k4ever; 12/03/2011 at 09:02 AM.
  8. #88  
    Wow, a story that was released this week that proves my point:

    Four Cores Won
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    snip... I'm still having urges to boot back into webOS but I also have this numbing feeling now. If HP doesn't keep webOS and ICS doesn't change app developer's minds about tablets, I now see an iPad in my future.
    With the way you feel about Apple/iOS it would probably better for you to go without a tablet if the iPad will be an option. You appear to be the type that will not be able to let go of webos and adapt.

    If you do go the iPad route, recommend a purchase date of 12/20/12 at 111:59 PM. The Mayan calendar ends on 12/21/12. You'll only have one minute of suffering.
  10. #90  
    With the way you feel about Apple/iOS it would probably better for you to go without a tablet if the iPad will be an option. You appear to be the type that will not be able to let go of webos and adapt.

    If you do go the iPad route, recommend a purchase date of 12/20/12 at 111:59 PM. The Mayan calendar ends on 12/21/12. You'll only have one minute of suffering.
    Wow, that was funny! I got a good laugh out of that. So after I buy it I will only have one minute of suffering. Priceless!

    Look, I'm a practical person. Technology is a hobby of mine. I will tinker around until I find something that works well for me. After that I stick with it until something truly better comes along. I used to think that tablets were just toys. This was based on using an iPad for a while and realizing that Apple did nothing at first to improve the phone OS they put on it. I've never been comfortable with their closed environment also, but I'm starting to see some advantages in it. Still, I would like a $500 device to behave more like a computer and less like a phone. That means an intuitive "computer like" interface which iOS and Android don't have.

    My first tablet was an Android tablet. I have used the OS longer than webOS and thought it might do well on a tablet. I found out quickly that the things I hated about the iPad were present in Android tablets also, just with a cheaper price and a lack of polish. I spent hours in BestBuy testing out every new Android tablet that came to market and I was let down by every one of them. Even after the bad reviews on the TouchPad, once I used it, I loved it. It was just the fact that I still owned a Pre, even though that was the only reason I even tried one out. I truly like the interface and I am able to get work done on it. It actually feels like small computer instead of a big phone.

    I really hope Whitman decides to keep webOS and develop it further. WebOS is definitely behind in the apps department, but what it does have is great and should be built upon, not torn down. I will definitely give ICS a chance once it comes out. However, like I stated before, Android needs more TABLET apps if it wants my business.

    I also think that the folks that push Android here so fiercely at the expense of webOS owe this entire community an apology. They should tell users the truth about Android on tablets so they know what to expect. Saying that Android has thousands more tablet apps than webOS is an untruth. Saying that Android is more stable or easier to use is an untruth. What Android has going for it is that there is a lot of flexibility with it and there are a ton of hardware options for it. It also enjoys a lot of support from hardware makers that webOS does not have right now with HP.

    As you can see, I am back in webOS on my TouchPad. I updated my thread on Android Central asking for additional help with Android, should I have to transition back to it. It is also staying on my TouchPad this time. I'm cheering for it also.





    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    DeadVim and sinsin07 like this.
  11. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #91  
    Can you point to a post where people have claimed that there are "thousands of tablet apps?" was it posted by mr. S.trawman?

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  12. #92  
    Can you point to a post where people have claimed that there are "thousands of tablet apps?" was it posted by mr. S.trawman?

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I believe the comments were geared more towards "Android already has thousands of tablet apps because the regular apps scale well enough". Same as in the story I posted, but I like how you tried to call it a straw man......


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  13. #93  
    I use CM7 only to watch Netflix, which is very often, but for all other use I use webOS

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #94  
    Just a simple "no“ would have been fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I believe the comments were geared more towards "Android already has thousands of tablet apps because the regular apps scale well enough". Same as in the story I posted, but I like how you tried to call it a straw man......


    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Just a simple "no“ would have been fine.




    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    Here are some for you:

    http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...ml#post3252493

    http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...ml#post3015271

    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3012714

    All of these can lead someone to believe that tablet apps and phone apps on Android are one in the same, since phone apps supposedly scale well and there is no need to write tablet specific apps. These statements are misleading. The truth is far from that and it may be hurting Android tablet sales.

    I'll admit that I drew my conclusion on the number of Android tablet ready apps based on these statements and I'm pretty sure other members of the forum have done the same. I've also pointed out several times that it is hard to find tablet specific apps in Android and that the phone apps don't scale well only to be told I was wrong by Android fans. The story I posted pretty much says it all.
  16. #96  
    @CGK

    CM7 and eventually CM9 will be the lifeboats for the TouchPad if Whitman decides to sink the HMS webOS. I for one don't want to get into a lifeboat that has holes in it and is taken on water itself. The holes are not caused by the CM team. They are caused by Android developers as a whole clinging to some broken promise by Schmidt that their apps will work on a tablet without further coding. That needs to be fixed or pretty soon we will all be using iPads.

    I want to switch into an ecosystem that supports my tablet and gives me a decent user experience while I get my day to day activities done. I also have two other TouchPad users in my family that are former Android users and vehemently hate Android. I can't convince them to switch back if I can't stand the environment on a tablet myself. If you want webOS users like myself to switch over to CM7/Android, since you seem to be promoting it a lot here, quit fighting the issues we bring forward and help us with solutions. You can start by looking at my thread on Android Central and helping me to find tablet replacement apps for the ones my family and I are used to in webOS.
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    @CGK

    CM7 and eventually CM9 will be the lifeboats for the TouchPad if Whitman decides to sink the HMS webOS. I for one don't want to get into a lifeboat that has holes in it and is taken on water itself. The holes are not caused by the CM team. They are caused by Android developers as a whole clinging to some broken promise by Schmidt that their apps will work on a tablet without further coding. That needs to be fixed or pretty soon we will all be using iPads.

    I want to switch into an ecosystem that supports my tablet and gives me a decent user experience while I get my day to day activities done. I also have two other TouchPad users in my family that are former Android users and vehemently hate Android. I can't convince them to switch back if I can't stand the environment on a tablet myself. If you want webOS users like myself to switch over to CM7/Android, since you seem to be promoting it a lot here, quit fighting the issues we bring forward and help us with solutions. You can start by looking at my thread on Android Central and helping me to find tablet replacement apps for the ones my family and I are used to in webOS.

    I think I need to clear up a misunderstanding you have about my position regarding android, I don't like android, I tolerate android - I only use it because I'm cheap -if I was willing to spend decent money on a tablet, I'd have an Ipad. Promoting android is simply done because it's free and a way to get more utility out of my fire-sale tablet and it appeals to me that other people who are also cheap can get similar benefit. If you asked me if I thought people should pay for an android tablet, I'd tell them it was a waste of money but then I'd say that about tablets in general.
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I've also pointed out several times that it is hard to find tablet specific apps in Android and that the phone apps don't scale well only to be told I was wrong by Android fans.
    I find most phone apps scale well, especially games. True, apps that depend on displaying a list, like the Pandora app in the story, look clunky. However, I'd say a good 90% of the phone apps I use on my tablet scale very well.

    You are correct though that settling for "scales fine" will only hurt tablet-optimized development. Not sure what can be done about that aside from selling enough Android tablets to make that optimization worthwhile. I suppose Android could've forced phone apps to run in a tiny window, but I'm glad they didn't.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I find most phone apps scale well, especially games. True, apps that depend on displaying a list, like the Pandora app in the story, look clunky. However, I'd say a good 90% of the phone apps I use on my tablet scale very well.

    You are correct though that settling for "scales fine" will only hurt tablet-optimized development. Not sure what can be done about that aside from selling enough Android tablets to make that optimization worthwhile. I suppose Android could've forced phone apps to run in a tiny window, but I'm glad they didn't.
    I would have been happy if they just made a way to filter out the phone apps. High end games are made for high resolution full screen most of the time, so they will pretty much run on any screen. This is true even in webOS.
  20. #100  
    for me webOS is great for web browsing. Androids browser blows. I can't stand it. The apps is all I use android for so when I get tired of playing games and feel like doing a little surfing I switch to webOS so I'll say its 50/50 right now.
    T-Padlock likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions