Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinistersai4d View Post
    The only issue I've noticed is that if I don't use wifi for a long period of time, sometimes I have to toggle the wifi widget on and off to remind it that I'm using wifi. Not a big deal imo. Otherwise it runs better than the 'stable' version of CM on my phone.
    This could be an Android issue. Its used to happen on both the Nexus One and Nexus S I used to have, where wifi would always drop out (even when in use with apps such as Tune In). I used to use an app that would try and keep the wifi constantly on.

Also, check the prefs in CM7. I'm sure there is an advanced pref somewhere that keeps wifi on.
    can someone verify this:

CM7+ Citrix + bluetooth mouse = mouse inside citrix window?

If so, I can totally ditch my laptop!! Already the citrix in CM7 is working awesome but to really get some work done it looks like I need a BT keybaord at the very least and a BT mouse if it works would totally be a desktop replacement.
    Just installed CM7, but I can already say that majority of my time will be spent in Android. I like the layout of webos, but the real lack of apps is the deal breaker for me. Daily tablet is an iPad 2 so I'm used to an abundance of apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskier0 View Post
    Just installed CM7, but I can already say that majority of my time will be spent in Android. I like the layout of webos, but the real lack of apps is the deal breaker for me. Daily tablet is an iPad 2 so I'm used to an abundance of apps.
    I absolutely agree. This was my first experience with a tablet, WebOS or Android (I have a iPod Touch so a bit familiar with iOS). I still recognize some of the really great design decisions that went into WebOS and now that I've spent some time with an alternative I better understand the frustration of those real WebOS fans about what could have been - it really is a shame.

That said - I loaded CM7 more out of curiosity and am astounded how stable it is given it is still an "alpha". The availability of apps, while not at the iOS level yet, is a huge reason I will likely rarely use WebOS anymore. I think about something that would be useful to do on my tablet and there are usually a bunch of options to choose from - unlike my WebOS experience where there are far too many times there simply isn't a app available or if there is there are things that are lacking and disappointing.

Something as simple as the browsing experience, which is 1/3 what I use the tablet for is so much more functional on CM7. I loaded the Dolphin browser and frankly will never bother to try and browse in WebOS again - it's that much better. Fast, normal bookmarks that I can organize and group into folders, set a home page (what a concept), far more accurate link selection (no more tapping multiple time), custom gestures, remembers logins previous as it should, addons, themes and much much more (and this was the first alternative browser I tried!)

The only issue I have noticed is that it does burn through the battery faster that WebOS but that has been recognized and I'm sure will be addressed in future versions.

Installation was painless - if you haven't loaded CM7, don't let the fact it is an "alpha" hold you back.
    I wish someone can do a comparison test of the battery usage between webos and android. I'm ok with say 20% increase in battery drain using android but anything more than that would not be worth the change.
    I think Android/CM7 is superior to webOS for doing typical tablet tasks based on the strength of the google market app catalog. WebOS does have a superior selection of high quality tablet apps. Android phone apps function better on the tablet than webOS phone apps.

WebOS really shines when I factor in the UbuntuChroot. This causes the card-based multitasking to be absolutely critical to my work flow, as I switch seamlessly between some really well done webOS apps and Ubuntu Apps. With webOS/UbuntuChroot I can do 90% of what I do on my laptop, with android it is probably closer to 50%. LibreOffice, Firefox, and Xornal are the primary drivers of my ubuntuchroot usage in webOS. I can do some nice geewhiz things in ubuntu like run qGIS and R. I can chroot into ubuntu with android, but the multitasking isn't as slick.

Android does allow me to pair my mouse though my keyboard doesn't pair but that is an oddity due to my specific keyboard. If I could have a mouse pointer in webOS and netflix, I don't think I would bother with android. This may all change with ICS/CM9.

Wishlist for webOS
    -customized launcher (I'm running to of space for my icons and it'd be nice to organize my favorites apps; I have more than 5 favorite webOS apps)
    -netflix (or better amazon prime catalog)
    -pulse news (Tea Reader RSS is a nice app for webos, but pulse is life changing ;-)
    -fix the regression in the autocorrect (for the love of all that is holy!)
    -printing on non-HP printers (ubuntuchroot printing works, but not flawlessly)
    -BT or WiFi mouse support (make that 90% jump to 99%)

Wishlist for Android
    -smoother interface taskswitching (CM7 has a nice setup, but android still feels clunky)
    -BT keyboard support (will probably be fixed in an update to CM7)
    -better email app (use the HP webOS app as a model)
    [strikeout]-good tablet word processing/spreadsheet app[/strikeout]
    [strikeout]-good stylus app with PDF support[/strikeout]

What I would like for my touchpad is to run webOS and Android CM9 as a dual boot, and chroot into the same install of ubuntu from both.

The Touchpad >> iPad2

Edit: RepliGo Reader only needed highlighting, lines are opaque unfortunately to be the PDF App I want. DocsToGo isn't bad, better than quick office, but the freakish closing/multitasking that doesn't quite erase your edits does not inspire confidence.

These 2 apps (above) will probably lead to >50% time running android.
    Last edited by Willard; 11/11/2011 at 12:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    pulse news (Tea Reader RSS is a nice app for webos, but pulse is life changing ;-)
    This is one of the greatest app I have seen. I didn't know what it is and have just tried it on my iPhone. This is a must for webOS. RSS has never been so comfortable on a mobile device. I'm really excited.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    -better email app (use the HP webOS app as a model)
    All of my email accounts are collected by gmail so I have no need for another email app, however I believe that Kaiten mail is similar to the webos one.

good tablet word processing/spreadsheet app
    I quite like quickoffice suite, you can try it free for 30 days.

As for pulse news - it's fantastic - pulls my feeds from google reader and also easy integration with evernote.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinistersai4d View Post
    snip...oh and NETFLIX AND HULUPLUS!!!! Those alone made this worth switching. No more bs. Just dedicated apps.
    bu..bu..bu..but with flash you don't need dedicated apps.
    "Wishlist for webOS
    -customized launcher (I'm running to of space for my icons and it'd be nice to organize my favorites apps; I have more than 5 favorite webOS apps)"

You may wish to check out this thread, I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...b-manager.html

As for Amazon Prime getting more content, my guess is Amazon is working harder than ever on striking deals now now that Kindle Fire is launching.
    I installed CM7 on my TouchPad yesterday and started a thread about my views on it this morning (using a GNOME/KDE comparison). In the past 18 or so waking hours I've had it, I've used it for 3 hours. It is very stable, even in its Alpha form. The CM team has done an excellent job on it. I spent some time setting it up and installing all of my paid apps. However, I prefer webOS over it. I find webOS less of a hassle and easier to use. I just wish I had the NetFlix app on webOS and live wallpapers. Everything else just feels better in webOS.
    bu..bu..bu..but with flash you don't need dedicated apps.
    Nice try... NetFlix uses Silverlight, not Flash, and Hulu blocks it's content on mobile browsers forcing you to have an app.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    CM7 is still pretty ugly resolution wise. It just doesn't look right on the TP since its meant to be for phones. ICS please
    ^and there is the rub! It is not just CM7, Android apps in general are made to work better on phones, tablets are an afterthought. I hate having to constantly switch back and forth to portrait mode to change settings. I also hate how some app are simply just stretched for use on a tablet instead of writing a dedicate tablet app. Even some of the wallpapers don't act right in landscape mode. I know we have had multiple arguments about this on these forums so I don't want to rehash that. However I find it rather funny that everyone keeps longing for the next version of Android instead of the current ones. Always a work in progress. CM7 is great and shows you what you get with Android in general.

Apparently, 500,000 people a day choose to "pick up and learn" Android...

You do realize that millions of people (most likely less interested in talking about phones/tablets on a day-to-day basis than people in these forums) are happy android users. They haven't had too hard of a go of it. How do you think that makes your comments look in relation?

-Suntan

I haven't met too many happy Android users. Everyone I know complains about battery usage and crashing. To be fair to Android if they just stop using all of those auto-updating widgets they won't have battery issues. I've had to explain this to my son a bunch of times when he complains about constantly plugging in his phone. The crashing is what gets me. My first 5 minutes with CM7 and an app crashed. No biggy, I just restarted it and it worked fine, but I can imagine the frustration a lot of new users go through on it. Crashing on Android is so common that my daughter accept it as a fact of life when using her Android tablet. It doesn't bother her at all, but it bother me and everyone in my generation that wants something that just works. I watched my 43 year old friend throw his new Android phone across the room after it crashed in the middle of a phone call with his wife. I tweaked it a little for him but he still has problems with it and is thinking about getting a dumb phone next. I guess the bottom line is that everybody accepts the problems with Android as a fact of life. There aren't too many alternatives being pushed out there anymore.

I've only met one Android user that is as happy with their purchase of Android as I am with my purchase of webOS. . . . And he's only super happy about it because it's getting an upgrade to ICS.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Well I just removed it, so my usage dropped down to zero. I was having too much trouble with ADW Launcher EX. The free ADW Launcher that comes with CM7 kept messing up the settings with EX. The only way to remove the free version was to either re-flash the ROM without it or pay $3.99 for Root Explorer to gain the permissions to remove it. It just wasn't worth the hassle for me. I also did not feel like spending the time trying to find basic apps (calendar, music, etc.) with a uniformed look and feel. Plus I don't have any must have "Android only" apps that I need it for right now. If HP decides to dump webOS, I'll be back. For right now webOS is what I am most comfortable with on the TouchPad. Still paying the money to the devs for a job well done. Just not for me...
    Update: CM7 is remarkably good, very easy to forget it is an alpha release.

WebOS is frustrating because it is so good by comparison to Android and iOS. I don't think Android ICS is going to correct many of the deficiencies in that OS. The workflow in WebOS is just so superior to the competition.

My annoyance with webOS focuses on a couple missing apps or services. Synergy jabber support and Netflix, I am looking at you.

My annoyance with Android focuses on the functionality of the OS itself. It really isn't very good. Maybe it is like other linux distros where it takes time to find the perfect setup.

Though by being able to use both on the same device, we all win. :-D

I was using android 90% of the time, but now am back to mainly using webOS. I'll keep android for netflix, but doubt I'll make an effort to get ubuntu up and running on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Nice try... NetFlix uses Silverlight, not Flash, and Hulu blocks it's content on mobile browsers forcing you to have an app.

So you're saying native apps actually are important after all? Who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I haven't met too many happy Android users. Everyone I know complains about battery usage and crashing.
    Well, truth be told, my opinion of people over at androidcentral is that they are *much* less likely to give a phone a pass than people at Precentral. A lot of the things that they complain about as completely intolerable, people here would love to have. Even though today’s android phones can come with 2 to 4 GB of dedicated space for installing apps, people over there still complain incessantly if an app can’t be installed to an external SD card. …yet here, people are perfectly content even though they don’t have any SD card in their phone at all.

Anyway, I have mostly my own experience to go on. The battery on my current android phone lasts *much* longer than the one in my old Pre+ (even when I got a new OEM batt for the pre+) by an order of 2x to 3x as much in informal observation. Although I don’t really do widgets, except for an app organizer. Similar thing with lockups. I get some every once in a while, but significantly less overall than my old Pre+.

But again, I just point towards reality. 500K activations a day, and close to 42% smartphone marketshare as of summer. I’m not saying figures and percentages are all that important, but at the same time, reality doesn’t seem to be jiving with the idea that “nobody is happy with android…” “everyone I know complains….” Etc. etc.

-Suntan
    crutzulee and slbailey1 like this.
    I'm speechless. How can someone really compare webOS with this (android) phone OS?
    I know there are a lot of apps on android, and this is the reason I use it on TP, but I'm so relieved after rebooting to webOS.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast