Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 119
Like Tree14Likes
  1. doctj's Avatar
    Posts
    298 Posts
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part - I don't care about android in the slightest, in fact I dislike it, it's an ugly operating system that is not straight forward to use and drives me nuts because the GUI is not consistent unless you want to spend 100s of hours making your own themes and the like (why oh why can't I make all the widgets the same colour??).

    I'd remove it in an instant if I can access the products and services I need on WebOS. However, until that happens (if it happens), I'll continue to use Android for the services I need. Tell you what, you tell me if this is possible currently and if it is, I'll boot into WebOS and carry on using it:

    1) The ability to annotate PDFs + text reflow of PDFs.

    2) Access to Zinio (coming soon I believe)

    3) Access to a tablet version of evernote that .
    You've been badmouthing the touchpad on this forum and lusting over the arrival of the touchdroid since it's announced development. Nothing wrong with being honest about your fandom.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
  2. jtsmall's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    #22  
    CM7 works well on Nook Color and find it amazingly fast on the single CPU when overclocked.

    I would probably convert (I too have used WebOS on the Pre since launch and like the card metaphor) to CM7 OC'd on TouchPad if Flash working with gpu drivers. Does CM7 have this working currently or is Flash a CPU emulation on TP?

    Thanks.

    -jts

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    So guessing american users have a lot more useful/handy apps than the rest of us have, in the areas that count more.
    Well, I'm in Canada so Netflix, Hulu and stuff like that don't work for me either.

    However, I purchased the TP to use it as a comic, PDF and ebook reader along with supplementary web browsing.

    The TP, in WebOS, turned out to be only barely decent at web browsing and ebook reading (if I go through the process for sideloading books into the Kindle app). And even those experiences aren't very pleasant with the slowness, bugs and bizarre UI design choices (no way to scroll text fields, no scroll bars, randomly corrupt text rendering, system pauses while I'm typing).

    Switching apps is nice but when it comes down to it, switching is just as fast if not faster by simply holding home and tapping the app I want to go back to. The concept of going back (via a back button) in fact is far more important in terms of workflow than the entire card system (WinPho7 certainly picked a good concept to emulate in its design). Some WebOS apps implement one on the top-left corner but too many don't and would have benefited from it.


    In the end WebOS looks a lot more elegant but when I want to do things without complication, apps are what's needed.
    Last edited by chronoreverse; 10/17/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Silveradoguy85 likes this.
  4. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    You've been badmouthing the touchpad on this forum and lusting over the arrival of the touchdroid since it's announced development. Nothing wrong with being honest about your fandom.
    This is why I'd love a dual-account - when I wear my analyst head, I think WebOS is absolutely dead, it's going nowhere and nobody is going to buy it - that just seems to be reality to me. When I wear my user-head, I prefer WebOS as a GUI and OS over android every day of the week - but I have a need for apps and android fulfils that needs - usefulness over usability - I don't see any contradiction in any of that. Hell, in one of the other threads, I'm recommend to people *not* to install android unless they have a particular use in mind because of file wiping problems and the like.

    As for 'lust', it's just not in my character - I'll use what is useful and then drop it without a second thought, being a 'fan' in the sense is not something I'm interested or capable of.

    [Both Analyst head/User Head].
    DeadVim, nemo and slbailey1 like this.
  5. #25  
    I usually work a 12 hour day and thus battery life is the most important thing for me. I love webOS and multitasking with cards. At this point, I still spend most of my time there.
    With some customization (setting CPU master to 486mhz and WiFi to never turn off) I have not had the issues that others are experiencing. Hell, my media stayed intact after the mod (even my ubuntu partition stayed intact). Unlike many, I have not had many issues with the webOS browser (easy to please?) after disabling its cache and cutting down on the logging. I have not found many of the alternative browsers in android to be much better for my purposes. The exception is Opera mobile which I have found to be the best browsing experience for me on any platform.
    Movie playback through mobo player with the arm 7 codec pack is superior to all three options currently available on webos for my purposes which includes throwing all manner of file types at it. With respect to those, I have been very happy that I have had no issues at all yet downloading these files from various sites under cm. Downloading media under webOS has been hit or miss with various issues popping up (I don't even know what a mime type is but it sure burns me). The ability to unzip and unrar my booty easily on the device is another plus.
    So....while I spend the majority of my time in webOS, I will probably gravitate more towards android as cm irons out the battery issues (it is a pig in this respect ). If ICS brings anything like cards, then regrettably, I may not feel nostalgic enough to come back to webOS (an operating system that I have been comfortable with since my pre-, which, although falling apart, is still my daily driver)
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    Well, I'm in Canada so Netflix, Hulu and stuff like that don't work for me either.

    However, I purchased the TP to use it as a comic, PDF and ebook reader along with supplementary web browsing.

    The TP, in WebOS, turned out to be only barely decent at web browsing and ebook reading (if I go through the process for sideloading books into the Kindle app). And even those experiences aren't very pleasant with the slowness, bugs and bizarre UI design choices (no way to scroll text fields, no scroll bars, randomly corrupt text rendering, system pauses while I'm typing).

    Switching apps is nice but when it comes down to it, switching is just as fast if not faster by simply holding home and tapping the app I want to go back to. The concept of going back (via a back button) in fact is far more important in terms of workflow than the entire card system (WinPho7 certainly picked a good concept to emulate in its design). Some WebOS apps implement one on the top-left corner but too many don't and would have benefited from it.


    In the end WebOS looks a lot more elegant but when I want to do things without complication, apps are what's needed.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the PDF thing. Its why I messed with ubuntu (that and the ability to handle zips and far files).
    While I have been happy with some of the patches and workarounds by guys like sagepipe, I have also been very happy to have access to ezpdf reader. Yet another best in class!
  7. #27  
    ive only booted back into webos twice since installing android on my touchpad. it was only to check if the media i added would get deleted and to copy my snes game saves so i could use them in android.
  8. #28  
    I haven't touched WebOS on my Touchpad since CM7 was released. Android is just too useful for me. But I just played around with my wife's Touchpad today and I really miss its elegance and ease of use, not that android looks awful and hard to use. The browser doesn't feel as bad as I remember . And the email program IMO is WebOS' best feature. I hope someone writes an email app like that, or else I have to start programming again after a decade.
    GreenHex likes this.
  9. #29  
    Haven't booted webOS since installing CM7. Opera Mobile, Dolphin HD just blow the stock webOS browser out of the water, Google Music app is nice, Netflix, games, apps, widgets, choice of keyboards, and so on.

    The main thing I'm missing is a tablet-oriented email app.
    GreenHex likes this.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post

    The main thing I'm missing is a tablet-oriented email app.
    Honeycomb has that already. Wait until ICS is released and CM gets the source code. Then you will get a tablet email app.

    -Suntan
  11. #31  
    Sleep of Death 2 times in a day. What is today?
  12. DeadVim's Avatar
    Posts
    184 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by xman953 View Post
    Sleep of Death 2 times in a day. What is today?
    It's Tuesday here.
  13. #33  
    For everyone who says that they are using netflix on CM7, is the video quality absolutley terrible for you as well? I tried it for about 30 seconds before I shut it off because it was un-watchable imho

    Guess I'll just continue using my xbox lol

    -From my OG EVO
  14. cerps's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is a fundamental misunderstanding on your part - I don't care about android in the slightest, in fact I dislike it, it's an ugly operating system that is not straight forward to use and drives me nuts because the GUI is not consistent unless you want to spend 100s of hours making your own themes and the like (why oh why can't I make all the widgets the same colour??).

    I'd remove it in an instant if I can access the products and services I need on WebOS. However, until that happens (if it happens), I'll continue to use Android for the services I need. Tell you what, you tell me if this is possible currently and if it is, I'll boot into WebOS and carry on using it:

    1) The ability to annotate PDFs + text reflow of PDFs.

    2) Access to Zinio (coming soon I believe)

    3) Access to a tablet version of evernote that .
    Which app do you use to annotate pdfs?
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpoirier1 View Post
    For everyone who says that they are using netflix on CM7, is the video quality absolutley terrible for you as well? I tried it for about 30 seconds before I shut it off because it was un-watchable imho

    Guess I'll just continue using my xbox lol

    -From my OG EVO
    It's not the greatest, not unwatchable though, IMO. Kind of like 380p on Hulu.
  16. mrmars#CB's Avatar
    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    Haven't booted webOS since installing CM7. Opera Mobile, Dolphin HD just blow the stock webOS browser out of the water, Google Music app is nice, Netflix, games, apps, widgets, choice of keyboards, and so on.

    The main thing I'm missing is a tablet-oriented email app.
    Same but, CM7 97% of time
  17. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by cerps View Post
    Which app do you use to annotate pdfs?
    I use the last one on the list (but I hear good things about repligo reader):

    Annotate and Sign PDF Documents with These Android Apps
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpoirier1 View Post
    For everyone who says that they are using netflix on CM7, is the video quality absolutley terrible for you as well? I tried it for about 30 seconds before I shut it off because it was un-watchable imho

    Guess I'll just continue using my xbox lol

    -From my OG EVO

    If you only watched for 30 seconds you likely didnít wait long enough for the quality to improve. On mobile devices, Netflix uses a tiered quality structure (like the PS3 and Roku 2) where the streams start, with little buffering, at the lowest quality setting. As the stream plays the quality will increase. It can take 30 seconds to a minute to get up to high quality depending on network conditions.

    That said, it is still getting the mobile feed. Donít expect it to look great close up.

    -Suntan
  19. #39  
    Not sure if the link in this post works anymore (my workplace blocks these upload sites), but this is a decent, multi-paned email app from the older Samsung Galaxy tablet:

    [APP] Samsung Galaxy Tab Email Client on gTabet! - Beta1 - 1/3/11 - xda-developers

    It has limitations, but I only used it for Gmail when I had my old Viewsonic tablet, and it worked as I wanted it to. You need to know how to boot into recovery to install it (directions for installation are in the post).
  20. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Not sure if the link in this post works anymore (my workplace blocks these upload sites), but this is a decent, multi-paned email app from the older Samsung Galaxy tablet:

    [APP] Samsung Galaxy Tab Email Client on gTabet! - Beta1 - 1/3/11 - xda-developers

    It has limitations, but I only used it for Gmail when I had my old Viewsonic tablet, and it worked as I wanted it to. You need to know how to boot into recovery to install it (directions for installation are in the post).
    Unless I am missing something - seems to be a single panel.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions