Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticrobot
  1.    #1  
    Just sharing my first impressions and thoughts about recently released CM7 for TP. Don't know where to start. I've bought Touchpad not for firesale price because I wanted to introduce myself to the tablets and make my work more productive and my free time more fun.
    My first not so good impression of the TP was it's default browser. I will not describe all the issues with it, everybody is familiar with them, but it is unacceptable in the modern world to have browser like this on a mass-market device, one of the main functions of which is web browsing.
    Then there is lack of productivity(or any quality apps) in the store or preloaded on device. I expected to have at least normal terminal emulator with Busybox and SSH client. Instead I had xecutah, xserver and xterm - welcome to 2011. No RDP client either, just finally released Splashtop with it's own server software.
    Mind you, I'm not trying to be negative, but those were things that led me to use my Touchpad just as a good looking digital clock with LCARS theme and Kindle reader(Kindle application is very decent even for beta). Any webbrowsing I was still doing on my laptop and started to second-guess my decision to get TP.
    Then there comes CyanogenMod Alpha. I can't quite describe boost in productivity this thing gave me. Finally decent browser(and choice of many alternative ones that can be set default), terminal emulator, choice of free RDP, big amount of good quality apps in market(even though amount of junk apps is even bigger, but who cares). Now I use this device all the time and my purchase is justified. It is still Alpha and has some rough edges here and there, but there is workarounds for some of them(like Wi-Fi in sleep mode) and active developers and future updates for other.
    I've used a few of smartphone OS'es over the years, starting with Symbian, then continuing with Maemo 5 Linux(current one on my phone), experimenting with MeeGo, and having WinMo on the work handhelds. None of them could make me more productive than this alpha release of CM7. Now I can do all of my activities on one device and have no urge to go back to WebOS or Maemo or Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop(even though it is still my main device at work). Now I understand why people were waiting for CM7 on the TP and why initial sales were so poor.
    I still try to close my application by swiping them up, though

Edit1: I bought over $40 in apps for WebOS and yet I've managed to outdo by huge margin whatever functionality they offered with just free apps from Android Market.
    Edit2: Supported languages and keyboard layout. Very important feature and very limited out of the box on TP. Got my cyrillic layout on CM7 up and running in under 30 seconds.
    Edit3: Connected absolutely with no problems to the Ad-hoc hotspot created by my Nokia N900 with kernel-power and QT Mobile Hotspot. Productivity on the go increase - 100%
    Last edited by arcticrobot; 10/15/2011 at 06:44 PM.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    dignitary likes this.
    thanks for that
    I'll admit, I felt somewhat weird clicking 'Like' on a post from a self-professed 'multitasking necrophile' until I finally understood what he meant.
    Re: free apps - make sure you install the GetJar app store too. They have a ton of top tier stuff (like Splashtop and Age of Zombies) for free.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Re: free apps - make sure you install the GetJar app store too. They have a ton of top tier stuff (like Splashtop and Age of Zombies) for free.
    Thank you. I will try it out, but the thing is: free apps is not deal breaker, and I would pay for them as I paid for WebOS apps. It's just comparison between two operational systems. Android, even being cumbersome as it is, will make you more productive and give you more customizations and choice than WebOS, Maemo or Meego. Personally, as a pure OS, Maemo is still my favorite.
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!