Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
  1.    #1  
    Palm and webOS is all I've ever known. Never owned or played with any other devices. I found this experiment very important. I will be as honest and fair as I can in my impressions.

OS
    The first thing you're gonna find annoying by jumping into Android from webOS is navigating. Once you've gone Gestures it's hard to work with anything else. With Android you'll be tapping that back button or the home button all the time and it's annoying.

Android has a settings page that gives you control over many different OS functions. webOS users have patches and system apps which do the same thing. I'm sure it's because I'm new to Android but it can be a confusing forest of settings that you might get lost in but it does give you incredible amount of control over the OS.

You will miss the notification system that you were used to in webOS. It's not bad in Android but it's a lot more intrusive and has to take over your whole screen to act on any of them.

Android has a Voice feature to do search and translate, unfortunately it does not work in this TouchPad version. Had it been functional, I'm sure my Android experience would be much better.

I couldn't tell you which OS is faster, frankly it doesn't seem fair since webOS seems to be doing more work with multitasking and notifications which Android doesn't bother with. One OS makes you work harder while the other works harder for you is the way I see it. When you press a button or launch an app they both seem to be just as responsive.

Multitasking
    The multitasking in Android reminds me of PalmOS or my friends Blackberry. Apps are in a saved state. Nothing will make you miss webOS more then the lack of cards. I did however experiment with many Android solutions and settled on . It essentially brings up a list of shortcuts that you have setup and you can activate it from any side of the screen. I chose the bottom and it gives me that webOS feel. It's not perfect but it will ease your nerves coming from webOS.

Web Browser
    The stock webOS browser is both faster and easier to use then the Android stock browser. But the Android browser has a lot more settings and includes a built in User Agent to change your appearance to a web site from Android to Mac to iPad and more. I also downloaded the mobile Firefox browser for Android. It's much faster then webOS and it has Add-ins to boot but it currently lacks flash. Neither Android browser allows you to arrange bookmarks so they are all in the same boat with webOS on that.

Email
    The email browser in webOS is a pleasure to use unfortunately this version of Android doesn't support multi-pannel apps. I did however purchase Kaiten Email which is based on the popular K-9 email app and will make your experience much better.

Keyboard
    I did like webOS keyboard better, not having to switch keyboard layouts to do numbers is awesome. But Android Market makes it easy to change your keyboard and customize it which I did with the purchase of Thumb Keyboard, you can get different langauage keyboards as well.

Apps
    What can I say, if gestures and multitasking is where webOS shines, Apps is where Android shines. I like the HP Catalog better (maybe because I'm used to it) but there are a ton of apps for Android and that sometimes can make it frustrating to find the right one. You can however easily install and delete apps in Android so at least that makes it easy to find to the right one.

Overall Impressions
    Cyanogenmod running on the TP is using the latest phone version of Android so there are some frustrations that could be addressed in future versions that have tablet support but overall an impressive OS. It should be noted that Cyanogenmod is an Alpha version and there are a few bugs but nothing that should prevent you from using it as you would webOS. It's important to note I actually had higher user experience expectations of Android and I can see why many people miss webOS and come back. I would never have known Gestures, Notifications and Cards are kind of a big deal if I didn't do this experiment. It's only been one day and I've made changes to make Android more webOSy but I keep thinking in the back of my mind if only we could get these kids married because those would be some beautiful babies. If Android was to ever incorporate webOS goodness with it's strengths it could rule the world and would make iOS seem old, outdated and cumbersome.
    Last edited by deesugar; 10/14/2011 at 12:19 PM.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Bear in mind, that also in its current alpha state that the market is filtering out a lot of apps.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    I was familiar with android before, just not on a tablet other than messing with in the store.

My first impressions of CM7 on the touchpad are that it works way better than I was expecting. I have had no problems, reboots, stuttering, nothing. Booting back and forth between webOS and CM7 is a breeze. Props to the Cyanogen team. Android is still not as fluid as webOS but it is nice to have some extra apps.
    something224 likes this.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    Dee, as far as keyboards in Android, there are MANY different ones to choose from, and pretty much all of them are very customizable.
    Agreed and I did try a bunch of them. I just settled on Thumb since it's for both Phone/Tablet devices.

Quote Originally Posted by residentcomedian View Post
    And don't forget to try Dolphin HD browser and Opera browser. They're very different from each other and the stock one.
    Market is blocking Dolphin HD, it was one of the first things I wanted to try. So unless you know where I can download the APK, I'll have to wait.
    Voice Search install: Download free Voice Search app for Android at Freeware Lovers

(For what it's worth I also found a Maps apk that installed Google Maps, despite it not being visible in the store. Navigation didn't work due to no GPS in the touchpad, but it installed Maps and Latitude as well, and Maps appeared to work fine).
  6.    #6  
    jhoff80,
    Thanks for that. It is working but it is horribly inaccurate, not sure if the TP mic is working good or not. How is it working for you and did you need to do anything to make it work better?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    jhoff80,
    Thanks for that. It is working but it is horribly inaccurate, not sure if the TP mic is working good or not. How is it working for you and did you need to do anything to make it work better?
    I haven't really tested it out much other than a quick try, which it recognized fine.

Also, there's an update.zip here, which will fix the Market so you can install all the Google apps directly.
    Once you've gone Gestures it's hard to work with anything else. With Android you'll be tapping that back button or the home button all the time and it's annoying.
    There are a number of launcher and standalone apps that offer gesture functionality. Have a look at Milominderbinder’s posts for webos converts over at the androidcentral forums. They are a good place to start, but not all encompassing. Long story short, there are a lot of options other than “just hitting the home and back buttons” once you fully take a look at all your options.

You will miss the notification system that you were used to in webOS. It's not bad in Android but it's a lot more intrusive and has to take over your whole screen to act on any of them.
    This is a limitation of GB, which remember is now 2 revisions back for tablets. Honeycomb (and the about to be released Ice Cream Sandwich) have notifications that act almost identically to how they occur on the TP under webOS. Once the CM team gets access to the ICS source, I’m sure these tablets will get it too.

Neither Android browser allows you to arrange bookmarks so they are all in the same boat with webOS on that.
    If you run the chrome browser on your desktop you can modify/rearrange your bookmarks there and it will sync with your browser on your mobile device. If this is a big deal you could install Chrome just long enough to rearrange your bookmarks.

Apps
    What can I say, if gestures and multitasking is where webOS shines, Apps is where Android shines. I like the HP Catalog better (maybe because I'm used to it) but there are a ton of apps for Android and that sometimes can make it frustrating to find the right one. You can however easily install and delete apps in Android so at least that makes it easy to find to the right one.

There are a lot of websites devoted to making it easier to find the apps you may be interested in. Top Android Apps and Games in the Android Market | AppBrain.com is just one. Also be aware that you can access the android market from your desktop computer at android.market.com and select/install apps from there to your mobile devices.

It's important to note I actually had higher user experience expectations of Android and I can see why many people miss webOS and come back. I would never have known Gestures, Notifications and Cards are kind of a big deal if I didn't do this experiment.
    To be frank, you spent 1 day with an alpha rev of the OS that is 2 revisions behind what is/will be available for tablets any day now. Not to mention, the rev you are using is specifically intended for phones, but has been hacked onto a tablet. To call this “an experiment” may be accurate, but hardly definitive.

If anything, you should spend a few more days learning all the options available from different launchers and other “helper” apps, if you really want to have a sense of what is available to you. You may find that stock android isn’t the only option available.

-Suntan
  9.    #9  
    Suntan,
    I agree with what you are saying, that's why the title of this thread is "First Impressions" I intend to spend more time and do a follow up which I'm sure will be more favorable to Android.

I wanted webOS users to get a sense of what they might experience trying out Android for the first time. It will be frustrating but if people take the time to learn and find out the tips and tricks as they have with webOS I'm sure it will be rewarding.
    My thoughts are reasonably positive.

I've experienced random crashes and bugs with android, it's clearly a work in process. There are a few other slightly annoying bugs (like arrow keys on the HP bluetooth keyboard being mapped incorrectly). That said, it's remarkably complete even as it sits and I think the future is very bright.

A few things that helped me were:

1: a card-based launcher that mimic'ed webos (I used perfect task switcher, and turned on the "show X's to close card" option).

2: Opera mobile (NOT opera mini). The app catalog filters alot of this stuff out so you need to get .apk's through an alternative channel, but I can say 100% that opera mobile is pretty damn awesome. Flash works brilliantly and the browser is fast and accurate. No goofy text rendering, no crappy loading, it just works. I vastly prefer this browser to the touchpad's stock browser, and, miracle of miracles, it can actually display TEXT without goofy graphical glitching. HAH! (Seriously though hp/palm, how can you screw up text rendering then allow it to stay broken for years - that should have been fixed before the pre- ever hit a storefront)

3: Go into cyano settings and uncheck the bottom bar option (it moves it to the top) - this is virtually necessary otherwise that stupid bottom bar gets in the way of hitting the spacebar and it's very annoying.

4: Grab a new keyboard (swiftkey tablet X seems pretty nice to me). The default keyboard is oddly shaped and the bottom row of keys is shifted too far to the right for my touch-typing sensibilities).

5: Overclock using one of the overclocking apps. Feels good .

With those small changes android felt much less clunky for me. It's damn nice and has a pretty bright future. Clearly it's not up to par -today-, but it has tons of apps webOS never will and is useful even in it's current incarnation. Say for example I want to watch netflix. I can reboot my touchpad from webOS and roughly 30 seconds later I'm loading up the netflix app in android.

If they can manage to iron out the small bugs and few random crashes I've experienced, my amount of time spent in webOS is going to be remarkably small. On the same coin, I'll be the first to admit I love the webOS UI - it's really intuitive and comfortable. If the 3.03-3.04 updates help iron out the screwed up web browser I could easily reverse course on this. I'll still keep android - for the apps I can't get in webOS. It'll just be supplementary .

Either way the coin falls, I love where this is going.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Multitasking
    The multitasking in Android reminds me of PalmOS or my friends Blackberry. Apps are in a saved state. Nothing will make you miss webOS more then the lack of cards. I did however experiment with many Android solutions and settled on . It essentially brings up a list of shortcuts that you have setup and you can activate it from any side of the screen. I chose the bottom and it gives me that webOS feel. It's not perfect but it will ease your nerves coming from webOS.
    I'm not sure if it works with a Home softkey, but to bring up the last 8 apps you've used, you long-press the Home key, and the icons pop up so you can quickly switch between them. No need for a shortcuts app unless you absolutely need it. In Honeycomb (and ICS), there is an Apps softkey always available that does the same thing, except with more apps and thumbnails of their last saved state (funny if you've watched an adult movie on your tablet recently ... not that I would ... nooo ...).
    I agree with most of your comments, mainly about the keyboard and mail. However....

Web Browser
    The stock webOS browser is both faster and easier to use then the Android stock browser.
    Odd. I've found the Android stock browser faster at both loading times and scrolling within loaded pages. The Sunspider and Browsermark scores backup that up.
    dignitary likes this.
    Yeah, that one confuses me too. I trust deesugar's judgement and I know he knows what he's doing, so him finding webOS' browser to be faster and easier to use than Android's makes me wonder if there's something weird going on with CM7.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mannersless View Post
    To me it is much faster to hold down the home key or that center button to switch apps. Much faster than putting a card in the background and flipping through them.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    You can set up android so an upward swipe brings up the task switcher but I have never bothered.
    Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Yeah, that one confuses me too. I trust deesugar's judgement and I know he knows what he's doing, so him finding webOS' browser to be faster and easier to use than Android's makes me wonder if there's something weird going on with CM7.
    Stock Android browser is not that good. Dolphin HD browser on the other hand is a huge dramatic improvement over any mobile browser I've ever used. Blows away everything period.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You can set up android so an upward swipe brings up the task switcher but I have never bothered.
    Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Not possible in the free verison.
    Stock Android browser is not that good. Dolphin HD browser on the other hand is a huge dramatic improvement over any mobile browser I've ever used. Blows away everything period.
    Web Browser
    The stock webOS browser is both faster and easier to use then the Android stock browser.
    Except Dolphin uses the stock Android browser under the hood; it's just window dressing (features and extensions) that enhance the experience greatly. Overall it's going to be as fast (or slow) as stock because they're using the exact same rendering engine.

Here's an Ars Technica article about Dolphin Browser HD that mentions it: Hands on: Dolphin HD browser for Android is swimmingly good
    I can't knock dolphin, it is very nice at what it does. Stock rendering engine or not, it is clean and very intuitive.

I'm still torn between it and opera mobile, but they both work nicely.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    I run Dolphin Browser HD exclusively between my Photon 4G and my Touchpad CM7. It's fantastic, and the stock rendering engine's been pretty great.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Except Dolphin uses the stock Android browser under the hood; it's just window dressing (features and extensions) that enhance the experience greatly. Overall it's going to be as fast (or slow) as stock because they're using the exact same rendering engine.
    Yes if you re-read my quote I didn't say Dolphin was exceptionally faster, I said it was a huge improvement and frankly that has a lot to do with the tabs, gestures, bookmarks and other features which blows away any other browser.

webOS seemed to be faster loading up the sites I was going to. Could I be wrong? Sure but for now that's my subjective opinion. Overall, having a tabbed browser experience allows me to do things like research in less time so Dolphin is faster when judging something like that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast