Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I was browsing my favorite site this morning and came across this article that is a step by step guide to getting CyanogenMod 7.1.0 ALPHA 1 running on the Touchpad.

How to Install Android on Your HP Touchpad - How-To Geek

That didn't take long at all..
    Follow me on Twitter @MalikCirca1980
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I did it last night, took about 30 minutes total including all the downloads.

I works pretty well and I have only found one game so far that didn't work. I switched to android after my pre- died so now I have the best of both worlds on my TP.
    Last edited by gstein17; 10/14/2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Link removed so as not to offend
    This is Android 2.2, right? Will you be able to upgrade directly from 2.2 to Honeycomb (I'm assuming that they are working towards this or Ice Cream Sandwich)?
    Quote Originally Posted by razorback View Post
    This is Android 2.2, right? Will you be able to upgrade directly from 2.2 to Honeycomb (I'm assuming that they are working towards this or Ice Cream Sandwich)?
    Honeycomb is not open source so they will not be moving to that (hence why 2.2 was done) Once ICS comes out they will be moving to that. That is if ICS is actually open source like they say it will be
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    I just installed CM7 about an hour ago and it was pretty quick and painless, about 10 minutes for me.
    This is android 2.3.something (7?) though its not a straight android build, but a heavily modified gingerbread build. Don't know about the upgrade path, though it will probably involve the same steps as this install.
    Also yes they stated that ice cream sandwich will most likely be the next version after this one (assuming it is released when expected) as the source for honeycomb hasn't been made public yet
    Why do you guys provide links for the parasite sites instead of giving credit to developers and linking to instruction directly from source? Here is the proper link for CM7 on TP
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    Quote Originally Posted by gstein17 View Post
    I did it last night, took about 30 minutes total including all the downloads. Here is the site I followed the instructions from: How to install Google Android on the HP TouchPad (with CyanogenMod7) - Liliputing

I works pretty well and I have only found one game so far that didn't work. I switched to android after my pre- died so now I have the best of both worlds on my TP.
    Can you confirm if you can rent movies from the Market? Or if the market is the old one, can you confirm that you can install the new market?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIowaKid View Post
    Can you confirm if you can rent movies from the Market? Or if the market is the old one, can you confirm that you can install the new market?
    The version of the market I've installed through gapps is 3.1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Why do you guys provide links for the parasite sites instead of giving credit to developers and linking to instruction directly from source? Here is the proper link for CM7 on TP
    Because people not familiar with Android can use picture book type directions whereas those of us who are already familiar with Android don't need them. This is after all a forum composed of primarily WebOS users so they may need help.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    Because people not familiar with Android can use picture book type directions whereas those of us who are already familiar with Android don't need them. This is after all a forum composed of primarily WebOS users so they may need help.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    There is an installation video at the source. And pretty easy instructions on the page and bundled with installer. I've never seen android as well and got it running in less than 10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    The version of the market I've installed through gapps is 3.1.5
    Can you try and view a trailer of a movie through the app?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    after you're done flash this fix via cwm Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites! so all of the apps will show in the market
    That's 3 guides I've seen now that tell people you need to download the entire webOS SDK in order to install Novacom.

I even left a comment on one of them about how stupid it was, and they said they 'wanted to make things simpler' by doing that.

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm has the Novacom driver install right on the page for a ~5MB download, instead of a 300MB download for the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's 3 guides I've seen now that tell people you need to download the entire webOS SDK in order to install Novacom.

I even left a comment on one of them about how stupid it was, and they said they 'wanted to make things simpler' by doing that.

Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm has the Novacom driver install right on the page for a ~5MB download, instead of a 300MB download for the SDK.
    Yet another reason to hit original link I've provided above. Here is their instructions:

"NOTE: IT IS NOT NECESSARY TO INSTALL ANYTHING BUT NOVACOM. Installing Java, Virtualbox, sample files, etc. is unnecessary. YOU DO NOT NEED TO INSTALL THE ENTIRE "SDK", only novacom. See Main Page - WebOS Internals for instructions. Or Google search for "novacom"."

And links to the downloads for novacom below that statement.

Edit: Those non original instructions are not making things simple. They are just highjacking somebody else's hard work in order to get some hits on their sorry websites.
    After I m at "Open a command prompt on your computer and use the cd command to navigate to the folder you transferred the ACMEInstaller to earlier (C:\Program Files\Palm, Inc for Windows). Then run the command", I see the 2 linux peguin sitting on top. The, The cursor blicks at the bottom, I just wait??

Wait..wait... ok, now it is extracting more files after a few minutes... still extracting.. and pause... blinking and pausing.........ok, inflating again.... flushing caches......
    1st time doing this... so bare with me...
    oh wait... i see cyanogen booting
    All this time, i am still USB attched.
    SUCCESS! I see the android robot.. Cyanogen 7 screen
    still cirleing
    DONE
    I AM IN
    thank u guys.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Anyone concerned with voiding the warranty?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bverdon View Post
    Anyone concerned with voiding the warranty?
    On a eighty quid tablet? no. If it goes wrong, just doctor it.
    Hmm.. would not connecct to my old Dlink router. won't even detect it? Any solutions?
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I've been trying to install this for the last 30minutes but im stuck at the command promp. It keep telling me "the system cannot find the file specified" and im looking right at the file that a created. I've followed the install video step by step.I even put the novacom file into the webos file like he said if we are having issues with the command prompt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C-e0ajNQ8a4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast