Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keplenk View Post
    Thanks. Does that mean uninstalling CM will still leave that partition there right? So even if I WebOS Doctor, the partition will still be there? If yes, is there a way to revert back to original settings?

Thanks again.
    Not sure if there is a currently a way to delete the 2gb Android partition easily. I'm 99% sure it can be done from the command prompt but haven't seen any instructions yet. It's only a matter of time though.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk
    Loaded Android & happy with it, although obviously there are still problems lurking. Example in my screenshot the temp gauge doesn't register above 0 degrees, which is either wrong or CM7 performed a miracle !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I thought I'd wait until it hit beta but after watching the video at liliputing.com I can't see any reason not to do it this weekend
    VZW Pre Plus 2.1.0 w/SR71 running at 1.2 Ghz; VZW Pix Plus Stock.
    question for those of you who installed android:

how's the browser experience? Especially using opera or other browsers? Is it noticeably faster than webos browser?

thanks
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Using the pre loaded browser the comes with android, its really slow for me. Scrolling is real jerky and a split second lag on link presses. I also think webOS browser layout is cleaner. All the menus and button presses it takes navigating android is a little annoying.
    I did install the CyanogenMod Android, but only, only for the apps. I prefer webOS over Android as OS. As a mobile OS webOS is on par with iOS. We're just missing the big apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That's weird, as music appears to be one of the folders on my Touchpad that it didn't delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by lbcsublimer07 View Post
    Mine is gone and so are most of my pictures. Like the ones from the Freecam and Camera apps that I installed. Since they get saved into their own folders. All that was left was my downloads and DCIM folders for pics. Pretty upset about this. If anyone knows of a way to recover this I'd greatly appreciate it. Again it's still showing that it's taking up memory it's just not showing up anywhere for me to see.
    Wow, hope you guys were able to find their data. In the meantime I'm again glad that I held off on this. I'm not taking the plunge on any android load until I back up all my **** to a PC.
    if you use the webOS doctor it leaves these partitions in place. I doctored last night after installing cyanogen mod in the morning. I did have to reinstall CM after the doctor, but the partitions were unchanged. In fact all of my apps/settings remained.

I can confirm the partitions were untouched by the doctor because I used the lvscan in Novaterm to see what was mounted on my drive.

I am currently looking for a way to COMPLETELY restore my USB drive, just to start fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    question for those of you who installed android:

how's the browser experience? Especially using opera or other browsers? Is it noticeably faster than webos browser?

thanks
    I tried the stock browser and it is really slow, then I installed the dolphin browser which is based on the stock one and that also is really slow. But this is only the alpha and I fully expect the speed to increase with each new version of CM.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I tried the stock browser and it is really slow, then I installed the dolphin browser which is based on the stock one and that also is really slow. But this is only the alpha and I fully expect the speed to increase with each new version of CM.
    I think it's more the wifi at the moment than the acutal browsers that are the problem - lots of reports of slow through-put.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think it's more the wifi at the moment than the actual browsers that are the problem - lots of reports of slow through-put.
    Agreed, I've had the wifi cut out a few times, suggesting they still have work to do. They must be getting a lot of feedback now about all the bugs which can only be a good thing
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Agreed, I've had the wifi cut out a few times, suggesting they still have work to do. They must be getting a lot of feedback now about all the bugs which can only be a good thing
    The wifi is always one of the things that never works proper in the early version of those CM7 roms - also have you tried Opera? It's hardware accelerated and once they get the wifi is fixed should be decent.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The wifi is always one of the things that never works proper in the early version of those CM7 roms - also have you tried Opera? It's hardware accelerated and once they get the wifi is fixed should be decent.
    No not tried that, but I will now thanks CGK
    Quote Originally Posted by wbussing View Post
    if you use the webOS doctor it leaves these partitions in place. I doctored last night after installing cyanogen mod in the morning. I did have to reinstall CM after the doctor, but the partitions were unchanged. In fact all of my apps/settings remained.

I can confirm the partitions were untouched by the doctor because I used the lvscan in Novaterm to see what was mounted on my drive.

I am currently looking for a way to COMPLETELY restore my USB drive, just to start fresh.
    yeah I'm trying to find the same thing. It keeps the partition there which means android is still installed on it. But you can no longer dual boot easily. You lose the boot menu and it goes straight to webos. The only way to get into android after that is through the command prompt. Typing

novacom boot mem:// <uImage.moboot_0.3.3

I would like to remove it all together though, as I'm not a fan of android at all. I did this to just check it out and I got screwed bad but I can't be too mad considering it's an alpha build of that ugly/poorly built mobile os lol
    Quote Originally Posted by lbcsublimer07 View Post
    yeah I'm trying to find the same thing. It keeps the partition there which means android is still installed on it. But you can no longer dual boot easily. You lose the boot menu and it goes straight to webos. The only way to get into android after that is through the command prompt. Typing

novacom boot mem:// <uImage.moboot_0.3.3

I would like to remove it all together though, as I'm not a fan of android at all. I did this to just check it out and I got screwed bad but I can't be too mad considering it's an alpha build of that ugly/poorly built mobile os lol
    If I were you and really wanted a clean slate so to speak, I'd boot up linux on your pc (this can be done from a cd/dvd) then plug in the touchpad and delete all partitions then create a new one and format it. After that use the doctor to reinstall webos and restore your old apps.

Also I know android isn't the prettiest os in its standard form, but the beauty of it is everything can be skinned/modded to look pretty
    Last edited by DemonHighwayman; 10/16/2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
    All of the browsers I have tried default to the mobile views so all of the websites i goto are in the mobile format. some people may like that better but I'm still looking for a browser that I am satisfied with. I have changed the user agent on the stock browser a few times but then facebook shows an error message saying that I am using an incompatible browser. Also wifi signal is probably 50-75% as strong as when I am using webOS.
    I installed on friday night, so far so good. I did lose some files and others are there but corrupted. All my music stayed, but all documents are messed up and i did lose all my snes roms. I have an android phone so i am not new to android. I find it good on the tablet as an option but i find myself missing webos while in android.

Things i do like are the fact that i can finally print from my touchpad with ease an app that i have on my phone printshare... and i did not have to pay for the key again!! i also like the speed at which some things run, and the screen seems a little more crisp...but that could be an illusion.

things i dont like, some apps manage to hide the back and home soft keys, which kind of sucks when you want to go back... i am getting a lot of force closes, usually its a simple close and reopen to fix. The apps are plentyful but as with my phone i am just not app hungry so finding the ones i want is hard cause they are buried. As with my phone i hate the apps staying open unless i go and close them, i like the webos toss and gone, its more pleasing to me to know what is open and what is closed at all times.(I write code so i worry about resources and what is using things i may need)

so i say i am beyone happy that i now have a tablet with three operating systems on it, and all mostly stable, i bought the touchpad for the 400 sale then got refunded to the 150 and i think it was a great move to get it. it has been nothing but great to me and it just keeps getting better. I am a fan of no operating system, i just use the right one for the job, thats why my home computer is windows/linux and work is linux and another mac at work, they all have their place... and having all these options on the touchpad makes it the ultimate tablet to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepymas View Post
    I installed on friday night, so far so good. I did lose some files and others are there but corrupted. All my music stayed, but all documents are messed up and i did lose all my snes roms. I have an android phone so i am not new to android. I find it good on the tablet as an option but i find myself missing webos while in android.

Things i do like are the fact that i can finally print from my touchpad with ease an app that i have on my phone printshare... and i did not have to pay for the key again!! i also like the speed at which some things run, and the screen seems a little more crisp...but that could be an illusion.

things i dont like, some apps manage to hide the back and home soft keys, which kind of sucks when you want to go back... i am getting a lot of force closes, usually its a simple close and reopen to fix. The apps are plentyful but as with my phone i am just not app hungry so finding the ones i want is hard cause they are buried. As with my phone i hate the apps staying open unless i go and close them, i like the webos toss and gone, its more pleasing to me to know what is open and what is closed at all times.(I write code so i worry about resources and what is using things i may need)

so i say i am beyone happy that i now have a tablet with three operating systems on it, and all mostly stable, i bought the touchpad for the 400 sale then got refunded to the 150 and i think it was a great move to get it. it has been nothing but great to me and it just keeps getting better. I am a fan of no operating system, i just use the right one for the job, thats why my home computer is windows/linux and work is linux and another mac at work, they all have their place... and having all these options on the touchpad makes it the ultimate tablet to me.
    If you press and hold the power key, you'll have access to home etc., via the power menu.

As far as memory goes, there is so much raw horsepower, I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about.

Finding apps can be tough, but it's a nice problem to have.
    I've installed it and I love it. Even though I have a Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1. It's nice to start using my Touchpad for something.
    Thanks for the heads up on the power button.

yeah i think i am just behind the times with apps, i see stuff and i find no need for it, i never play games on my phone or tablet. i usually just use it to read books or the things on the web.

but i cant believe how awesome the touchpad is now that i can do almost anything with it having webos, android, and ubuntu. happy touchpad owner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast