Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    One developer from China : Chomper (wo****hb123@treo8) finish the test version to make Android work as one application of webOS 3 (TouchPad).

Now the test IPK released.
    if you want to try it, you can get more details and download here:
    android for tp

( read via Google translater since the forum in Chinese)
    XP1, ns1959 and Donna80 like this.
    Interesting..
    Anyone feel like being a guinea pig?
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    wow if it works it's so much better than dual boot!
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    kschroppe likes this.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Yeah, sounds super sketchy to me... like malware sketchy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbox View Post
    Yeah, sounds super sketchy to me... like malware fishy.
    My thoughts exactly...
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I'm gonna stay on the sidelines for now. lol
    we need someone with deep skills to investigate this. Who has a spare TP to burn?
    Chomper originally ported mplayer to webOS then with the help of others on the board it was improved and Jason released his version. I don't think Chomper would build malware for the TP but who knows.
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    howi, pre101, Rnp and 1 others like this.

Its an 80Mb download but it all looks in Chinese and not sure if you can switch to English
    Its not that unsual anyway so not sure why all the malware talk

I had an app on my Nokia N900 that allowed me to run most WebOS Games, and that ran inside maemo, and so did some of the linux distros too
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
    Its not that unsual anyway so not sure why all the malware talk
    Chinaphobs. Anti-Sino-ite.
    this app works fine. only issue is that mostly everything doesn't work. ie: if you try to open camera android reboots and touchscreen stops working. this happens with alot of apps/features. i'm sure things will be fixed slowly but surely. there is also an english version in the xda thread, but you have to go into settings launcguage&keyboard and change it out of chinese.

this is a great start and cant wait to see what happens in the future
    I'm doing it. Looking like i need to doctor to get to 3.0.2 on my TP 4G so what the heck. If its malware I will be forced to do it sooner!
    stay tuned.

EDIT: Nope not gonna do it .... yet. Too many problems - Way to early of a build.

Translated this from his blog:
    - Be sure to read the install, ok?
    - First alpha version, there are problems also please forgive me
    - We care about the card issue, because I want to address in a more central level, but the skill is still light, it takes time, so this version does not - Within 2 days to give you an explanation.
    - so, the next step:
    - the time of installation, limited preware, the rest of the problems caused by installation tools, I shall not explain.

- Problems:
    1. Occasionally the screen will flash, press the power button to turn off the screen and then turn, will ease, but also get many starts, this future be resolved.
    2. no sensord drive, being not empty write, this is not the point
    3. wifi switch is not, before we enter android, webos in trouble set in, being there is no energy to write this.
    4. did not add the sound subsystem, put on the list
    5. camera
    6. camera not, into this process may cause the system to crash, but they will up, this is also on the list.
    7. Currently only a single touch, should be enough for the day
    8. The so-called opengl acceleration, this is the core of the next step, I get this as soon as possible
    9. Webos clean stopped android back to more trouble, so if we have to be webos, please jerk the power button for 5 seconds ????????
    10. The whole ui looks ugly, the ability of their students can think of a way, this now includes the future will not be of concern to me.
    11. on the android not understand it, with no multimedia functions java program, ndk program should be able to run perfectly.
    12. While the system is a good google version 3.1 to write the beginning of pi; but the father of the pit should be 2.3.x family.
    13. Renderings are not on, anyway, a key installation, we looked at play with
    14. Also, if experts are willing to join together to engage in a warm welcome (do not know which site to hosting the G code), e-mail contact private letter
    15. disk directory inside the android system.img this is the whole root, do not delete, to study the students, with the loop ext3 mount system can be seen on all contents of the /

Here's the direct download link if you still feel brave after reading the above:

chomper.app.android_0.0.1_all.ipk
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 10/04/2011 at 02:05 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I'm doing it. Looking like i need to doctor to get to 3.0.2 on my TP 4G so what the heck. If its malware I will be forced to do it sooner!
    stay tuned.

EDIT: Nope not gonna do it .... yet. Too many problems - Way to early of a build.

Translated this from his blog:
    - Be sure to read the install, ok?
    - First alpha version, there are problems also please forgive me
    - We care about the card issue, because I want to address in a more central level, but the skill is still light, it takes time, so this version does not - Within 2 days to give you an explanation.
    - so, the next step:
    - the time of installation, limited preware, the rest of the problems caused by installation tools, I shall not explain.

- Problems:
    1. Occasionally the screen will flash, press the power button to turn off the screen and then turn, will ease, but also get many starts, this future be resolved.
    2. no sensord drive, being not empty write, this is not the point
    3. wifi switch is not, before we enter android, webos in trouble set in, being there is no energy to write this.
    4. did not add the sound subsystem, put on the list
    5. camera
    6. camera not, into this process may cause the system to crash, but they will up, this is also on the list.
    7. Currently only a single touch, should be enough for the day
    8. The so-called opengl acceleration, this is the core of the next step, I get this as soon as possible
    9. Webos clean stopped android back to more trouble, so if we have to be webos, please jerk the power button for 5 seconds ????????
    10. The whole ui looks ugly, the ability of their students can think of a way, this now includes the future will not be of concern to me.
    11. on the android not understand it, with no multimedia functions java program, ndk program should be able to run perfectly.
    12. While the system is a good google version 3.1 to write the beginning of pi; but the father of the pit should be 2.3.x family.
    13. Renderings are not on, anyway, a key installation, we looked at play with
    14. Also, if experts are willing to join together to engage in a warm welcome (do not know which site to hosting the G code), e-mail contact private letter
    15. disk directory inside the android system.img this is the whole root, do not delete, to study the students, with the loop ext3 mount system can be seen on all contents of the /

Here's the direct download link if you still feel brave after reading the above:

LMAO to this translation. "father of the pit"...lol
    I can translate it some better to real (but bad) English.

As an alpha version and a one-man project, this is really not bad. I know we, Chinese, are evil. Just ignore this if you don't feel good about it.
    dectech, Garfonso, Rnp and 1 others like this.
    for a 1 man show on a "heres what i have so far" v0 even with all the issues its just amazing hes got that far when not having to dualboot into a fresh system.

android running/relying on webOS sounds better for the touchpad and webOS in general than the ability to utterly replace it to oblivion.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    This is very interesting. I may do this tonight when get home from work. Been needing a trip to the doctor anyway with some other stupid things I've done to my TP.
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    my interest is soundhound or shazaam, can someone see if either work, please?
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    stay tuned.

Chicken. I thought I'd brave it out, but the link is a fail. "502 Bad Gateway".
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I was going to give this a go in the emulator but the download link for the ipk seems to be dead (bad gateway). Anyone got another link?

Edit: Nevermind - found it here: http://www.wupload.co.uk/file/288331345
    Last edited by ns1959; 10/04/2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Found a mirror
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast