Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
Like Tree26Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    So... I'm guessing the "Android in a webOS Card" idea is dead now, and only CM7 is left?

Palmdroid appears dead as well, according to the XDA thread.
    CM7 with CM9 on the horizon now ICS source is in the wild
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    The idea is not dead. The Android codebase is just immensely annoying to work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
    Watching this intently. I have no desire to play around with Android in a card by itself, but if this could become the architecture for a bridge or terminal emulator to let other Android apps launch as cards with webOS, it would very quickly solve the Touchpad's lack of apps. Much more convenient than the CM7 dualboot if it would work.
    This is the most appealing feature of webOS - sort of a carrier for all other os. Don't think HP would like the idea, but it sets HP touchpad apart from the pack and makes it an "all-in-one" computer. Look at what your printer is today. How many of us still have stand alone scanner, copier, and printer these days?

It is simply the easiest way (using a card) to switch among different os, and enjoy all different kinds of contents, in one device.

This is the single reason that my iPad is still sitting there collecting dust today.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenskinredeyez View Post
    This is the most appealing feature of webOS - sort of a carrier for all other os. Don't think HP would like the idea, but it sets HP touchpad apart from the pack and makes it an "all-in-one" computer. Look at what your printer is today. How many of us still have stand alone scanner, copier, and printer these days?

It is simply the easiest way (using a card) to switch among different os, and enjoy all different kinds of contents, in one device.

This is the single reason that my iPad is still sitting there collecting dust today.
    Anyone aware of any work being done on this now that WebOS is open source? This would truly be an awesome feature and set WebOS apart obviously. Of course with any emulator performance is going to be an issue, but this would still be great!
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I don't know about if this project is still on. But on CES 2012 Open Mobile already shows running android apps on webOS with ACL. Demo video here

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    From he video it sounds like this thing is ready to go but it has to be distributed by the tablet maker. Did I understand this correctly? If so, time to bug HP!

Last edited by Starbuckk; 01/15/2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: grrr--fixing autocorrect errors :p
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Wow!! Wish this ACL was available - looks like it needs some performance tuning (they mentioned that they need access to closed-source device drivers to tune it) but very cool that they already have a version of it working on webOS as a proof of concept and for demonstrations. Wish HP would work with them and make it available as an application that could be downloaded by end-users from the App Catalog. With HP open-sourcing webOS, I'm not sure just how HP would bundle this. OpenMobile prefers to work with OEMs to bundle ACL (they don't want to deal with end-users and *may* be concerned about possible legal trouble) but HP is not shipping any devices - hence it seems like a bit of a catch-22. Well, once HP opensources webOS, another OEM could combine webOS and bundle this software - they key question is how long it will take for HP to open it up and whether OEMs will actually announce/ship any webOS devices.

And, of course, we don't know how this aligns with the HP open-source roadmap that is currently in planning (does the ability to run Android apps fit into that at all?) - hopefully they start releasing some info soon on where they would like to see the platform go.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post
    I don't know about if this project is still on. But on CES 2012 Open Mobile already shows running android apps on webOS with ACL. Demo video here

This looks awesome, until I think about how long firmware updates would be on a device which has that... who will do the updating? How long to get approval? Etc. Etc....

If they just made this an app and sold it for $20, I'd be one happy camper. I'd get it for both the touchpad and the ipad 2.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    geekpeter likes this.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789