Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dps5pt View Post
    does switching between palm default and uber count? I'll apologise upfront now if I'm talking from ignorance - I'm not to familiar with this - probably wasn't a good idea for me to try this bleeding edge build then really lol, could be a good excuse to try the webosdoctor that's gets mentioned regularly
    It's the uninstall step which locks the current kernel in place.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Try changing your kernel now to something else. You won't be able to.

-- Rod
    Yep. Looks like my TouchPad has got to make a trip to the doctor.

I might just hold of on doctoring, to try out the the next version of this. I believe an update, that actually has android running in a card, is just around the corner. In any case, as luck would have it, I should be getting my 2nd 32GB TouchPad tommorrow. I can use that, to start fresh with my current profile and use this tPad for the experimenting. After all, there's a little matter of webOS 3.0.3/3.0.4 to try out too. So in a way, this isn't all that bad.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/06/2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by galileo44 View Post
    Update from chomper's weibo:

Wifi, SD (Note: should be virtual one linked to /media/internal) ok now, left voice unfixed, and masking camera (note: app and API, i guess)

Yesterday's -
    Card ok (note: he means running android as a webOS app), now needs to change a IME engine
    Anymore updates to the app or the weibo?
    http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6fa7488egw1dlvzcs7wxkj.jpg

Posted on XDA. Reckons 0.0.2 out in the next 24 hrs, running properly as a card
    WARNING: This is translated from a Chinese blog entry. I am not responsible for any damage caused by installing and using this application. INSTALL AND USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

10/08 Update Version 0.1.0 by Chomper

Please read carefully before installation!!!

What's new in Version 0.1.0:
    1. running as a card app now
    2. additional storage2
    3. camera works now

Problems:
    1. Flight Mode not working yet;
    2. Sounds not working yet;
    3. Flashing screen;
    4. Browser download not fully working;
    5. Need to choose "media scan" in "dev tools" after installing new App;
    7. Occasional android system screen flashing while playing games;
    8. No OpenGL 3D yet;
    9. Long installation time.

Key Map:
    power -> power
    home -> home
    vol+ -> menu
    vol- -> back

Source code will be released by the weekend.

<staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/09/2011 at 12:44 AM. Reason: download links removed
    This is way too buggy and definately not worth installing. For in the end, it does not even run enough to give you a reasonable look at Android. Also, this version, as the previous one, installs it's own kernel and it runs only at Palm default 1.188 GHz. Th good news is, that it seems like this version uninstalls cleanly and the uninstall restores the previous kernel that had been overwritten at the time of install.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 10/08/2011 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andymckay2001 View Post
    http://ww4.sinaimg.cn/large/6fa7488egw1dlvzcs7wxkj.jpg

Posted on XDA. Reckons 0.0.2 out in the next 24 hrs, running properly as a card
    Actually, 0.1.0 is out already. -> Chroid New Release v0.1.0 (Android running as an App by Chomper)

To use games after using it you have to restart the TouchPad.
    <threads merged>
    even with all those issues it sounds like an incredible feat, esp as its a 1 man attempt at making the thing nativeish.

again tho id be massivly impressed if the android apps appeared in a "android" menu, like our app/downloads/faves menus, then when clicked the app only appears in a card, the gui/guts of android being hidden/never shown.

afterall i doubt anyone would say they prefer the android gui/os over webOS, its 99% of the time "i want app xyz from android" and thats it.
    I'm in that boat.. there are two apps I need on my touchpad.
    RDC is coming and I'm content to wait
    the other is Square... I've talked to the devs over there and they are not planning a touchpad release.
    apple and android only
    Although I had a card running after I tried this, Android remained running in the background, even after closing the card. Sometimes the Android lock screen would come up over webOS. The flickering seems to be webOS and Android fighting over the framebuffer, or something like that. It also replaced the kernel with one that presumably is patched to be able to run both webOS and Android . . . Of course, I've just made a trip to the Doctor, and was planning on doing it again anyway before the next webOS updates come out.. So, yeah, that's just something we'll probably have to deal with. It is quite an achievement, I'd say though. Hopefully they can figure out the fighting issues, and get it to run in a card properly.. Then I can run Ubuntu in a card, Android in a card, and Splashtop to connect to WIndows. WebOS suddenly becomes the OS/2 of this decade. Unfortunately, it's heading in the same direction as well.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    cant seem to get apks to install, when I move files to the newly created apk folder in media/internal, that process start then i get an "Out of Space" pop up

Any advice?

EDIT: I managed to get pacman working. I tried this apk because of the small size...worked fine.

It appears that there is a limit to the size of the apks that can be installed, at least for the time being.
    Last edited by carr76013; 10/10/2011 at 01:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post
    cant seem to get apks to install...

Any advice?
    I'm surprised you got that far, once getting passed the lock screen (while flickering constantly) it just black screened on app draw. Seems a massive step back from previous version in terms of stability, but runs much better under webOS now clearly.

Uninstalled cleanly too. Looking forward to future releases now.

Edit: Try reading 5th problem on list above to solve your problem.
    found out what i was doing wrong...once you move apks into the APK folder they automatically install...

I was trying to install them through the EZ file Explorer.

That being said no luck with getting the Market to work.
    After unsuccessfully clicking randomly all over the Chinese website (felt like I was playing Monkey Island again ) I resorted to google and found this page:

Android on Webos (chroid) 0.1 Alpha is out for tasting. (update 10/08 IPK) - xda-developers

Contains latest updates to the Chroid project, as well as the .ipk for v0.1.0
    Also, since I hate these download sites, I'll post the share link from my Zumodrive as soon as it's done uploading...
    Now that he's releasing the source, maybe we'll start to see more robust implementations following the same basic idea of running Android in a card - because that is just genius.
    geekpeter likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Now that he's releasing the source, maybe we'll start to see more robust implementations following the same basic idea of running Android in a card - because that is just genius.

Dang straight. I don't need this right now but the guy ought to set up a paypal donation fund to help him keep working on this (if he hasn't already) I would thought him a couple bucks just to encourage him further.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Its not that unsual anyway so not sure why all the malware talk

I had an app on my Nokia N900 that allowed me to run most WebOS Games, and that ran inside maemo, and so did some of the linux distros too
    It's a little bit off-topic, but where did you get this app? I have some friends owning a N900, too - and they sure would be interested in an webOS "emulator".
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    It's a little bit off-topic, but where did you get this app? I have some friends owning a N900, too - and they sure would be interested in an webOS "emulator".
    I'd love one for current Android hardware...
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast