Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    @mmitchell816 go to this page and see if it helps How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    No... you're not alone. My main computer at home also runs Windows XP with IE8.
    It is very stable and I haven't had to restart the computer in the last 7 months. It is
    left running 24/7 because it also manages my home security system, lights, and
    Skype, as well as acting as a medid network server.
    Good to hear I'm not the only Luddite.

I have a pile of music software installed and I'm in the 'It ain't broke' frame of mind.

It pained me to move to my latest mobo because it didn't have a PCI slot for my ancient but brilliant soundcard.

Back on topic: So, from some comments here, it seems the kernel is still running and maybe apps too when this thing is fired up? Hmmmm, I think I'd rather that nothing was between my OS and the hardware.
    hey does anyone know how long this is supposed to install???

my thing keeps saying installing but never finished............ i had to like disconnect to stop it as i gave up

anyone else having this problem???
    izzeho likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezportabledl View Post
    hey does anyone know how long this is supposed to install???

my thing keeps saying installing but never finished............ i had to like disconnect to stop it as i gave up

anyone else having this problem???
    According to this:

And once your files are downloaded and 'in position', about 3.75 minutes to install/excecute the package before 'reboot'.
    Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/06/2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Update from chomper's weibo:

Wifi, SD (Note: should be virtual one linked to /media/internal) ok now, left voice unfixed, and masking camera (note: app and API, i guess)

Yesterday's -
    Card ok (note: he means running android as a webOS app), now needs to change a IME engine

For overclock, if you ever studied the ipk, Chomper repalced it to call certain drivers and low-level functions from Linux core.
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by icewarm View Post
    On his Weibo (Chinese equivalent of Tweeter), he said that the card issue has been fixed, will release soon.

And he is doing this just for fun and not expecting any financial gain.

I would like to contribute to get this project done. It's so incredible if Andorid can truly run within a card under WebOS.

I love WebOS and my touchpad, but I want more app options.

This may unintentionally speed up the death of WebOS?
    This is great news! This is exactly what I have been hoping for. I was a longtime Palm user (Vx) until I left after the Centro. I have used Android exclusively since then until I bought 2 TouchPads during the fire sale (selling one, never opened, btw). I love the WebOS but still want access to my Android Apps.

I would happily contribute to this effort! Thanks Chomper!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Just a word of caution from rod

Quote Originally Posted by @webosinternals
    Beware of the 'Chomper Android as an app' package - it replaces your kernel and there are reports that it does not uninstall that change.

http://twitter.com/webosinternals/st...28270806646784
    -- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    hey you beat me to it sketchy !!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Just a word of caution from rod
    Indeed. I can see this being another "MyTether" incident (which for those who remember, was a dodgy package from some guy which corrupted the rootfs and caused many devices to get endless same-OTA updates).

Regardless of the quality of the item that has been packaged (of which I make no comment positive or negative), I forsee many trips to the doctor as a result of the fact that this package does not make a backup of the kernel that it overwrites and it does not cleanly uninstall everything that it installs.

Installing this package will prevent you from ever using another custom kernel until you doctor. You will be stuck with whatever custom or stock kernel you had installed before you installed the chomper.app.android package, and will not be able to change it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 10/06/2011 at 08:45 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    @mmitchell816 go to this page and see if it helps How To Recover - WebOS Internals
    Yeah this is what I ended up doing last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Indeed. I can see this being another "MyTether" incident (which for those who remember, was a dodgy package from some guy which corrupted the rootfs and caused many devices to get endless same-OTA updates).

Regardless of the quality of the item that has been packaged (of which I make no comment positive or negative), I forsee many trips to the doctor as a result of the fact that this package does not make a backup of the kernel that it overwrites and it does not cleanly uninstall everything that it installs.

Installing this package will prevent you from ever using another custom kernel until you doctor. You will be stuck with whatever custom or stock kernel you had installed before you installed the chomper.app.android package, and will not be able to change it.

-- Rod
    Thanks Rod.

Is it possible to merge the kernel changes that this needs into uber kernel (or another kernel)? Maybe chomper could remove the kernel from his package and simply require that you install a kernel with the needed patches?

-- Rod
    So the standard trick of installing the recovery kernel from Preware would not be effective? Interesting. Hopefully the guy will clean up his work or release the source so that we can build on it to bring it up to community standards.
    Uberkern worked fine after uninstall for me, there was an upgrade for Guvnah to 1.9, so I installed that then uninstalled The android ipk, restarted and all seems ok. Just hit lucky I guess?
    Hi all

Just to let you know I tested this on mine as I had the 'Application Database Full' message so was expecting a full flatten and reinstall anyway

I got Android installed easy enough and it loaded up but crashed after about 5 minutes. I could then not exit android to get back to web o/s

I used Web OS Doctor to flatten it and it's now OK

It's certainly a good start and not a bad show from a single user. Can't wait for the dual boot version being worked on and some wonga will be coming the developers way from me :-)

Oh and although I work for HP I can honestly say I do like the Web OS software. Just a shame there aren't more apps - a sat nav would be nice for starters. I wish NAVIT would do that half price sale they did before they pulled the app from the catalogue
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I'm doing it. Looking like i need to doctor to get to 3.0.2 on my TP 4G so what the heck. If its malware I will be forced to do it sooner!
    stay tuned.

EDIT: Nope not gonna do it .... yet. Too many problems - Way to early of a build.
    Looking like you made the right call. I hate jumping into new stuff to quickly. So, although I was tempted and did download the package, I held off just a bit and now glad for it. Too bad, hopefully will improve before too long.
    Quote Originally Posted by dps5pt View Post
    Uberkern worked fine after uninstall for me, there was an upgrade for Guvnah to 1.9, so I installed that then uninstalled The android ipk, restarted and all seems ok. Just hit lucky I guess?
    Try changing your kernel now to something else. You won't be able to.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by minego View Post
    Thanks Rod.

Is it possible to merge the kernel changes that this needs into uber kernel (or another kernel)? Maybe chomper could remove the kernel from his package and simply require that you install a kernel with the needed patches?
    Access to the GPL source code used to create this package would be required to be able to answer that question. It's required anyway for license compliance, but I see no documentation of where to get it in the package.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by a5ehren View Post
    So the standard trick of installing the recovery kernel from Preware would not be effective?
    The changes that this package makes are outside of what the recovery kernel fixes.

-- Rod
    There should be a caveat at the beginning of this thread.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Try changing your kernel now to something else. You won't be able to.

-- Rod
    does switching between palm default and uber count? I'll apologise upfront now if I'm talking from ignorance - I'm not to familiar with this - probably wasn't a good idea for me to try this bleeding edge build then really lol, could be a good excuse to try the webosdoctor that's gets mentioned regularly