Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    impressive for starters. Hope to see it more functional in the future. Specifically
    -app market
    -all icon names go to English
    -working sensors
    -netflix!

however I would be even more impressed to get a honeycomb port when that's available.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by chenzhenqi View Post
    I know we, Chinese, are evil. Just ignore this if you don't feel good about it.
    I don't know about evil, but G. B. Trudeau taught me they are an especially tricky people. Sorry, couldn't resist, how many chances do I get to pull that one out? I'm not a Chinaphobe or Anti-Sino-ite, just trying to be funny,
    Would it be possible to exit out of Android via novaterm/novacom? Because it does seem like webos is still running in the background...
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    It won't download from any site like mediafire, RapidShare, filesonic, etc. as far as I know. If you have access to a computer download it then email it to yourself or send it to box.net and download it. Stupid you can't just download from mediafire, I know.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Or you can TBTransfer it over...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sevusal14 View Post
    i noticed that if you accidently clicked the camera icon in android, then device kind of froze for a while and then it load the android app. BUT this time the touch screen doesn't work. does anyone know how to close the app and go back to webos without restarting the TP!
    Just hold down power and home
    This is a very nice start- can't help but notice how web pages load faster than on webos!
    Quote Originally Posted by itechnoguy2 View Post
    Would it be possible to exit out of Android via novaterm/novacom? Because it does seem like webos is still running in the background...
    Nope its not, I had to rester the TP to go to webos
    It works, at least web browser. Impressive. If you need to exit that card, power+home is your only option at this time. There are some good info at treo8 forum, unfortunately, it is in Chinese. Too bad for those who do not know that language.
    cant get wifi to work, and tho someone else said the browser still works, nothing wanted to load... maybe cause my network is secured? just a thought

overall I find the implementation interesting, just wanna try to run an apk and see how it handels them... but no USB and no working Wifi makes it a spec app for me in the meantime

BTW, there is a mention above about it not converting all the icons to english, this is true at first but this version will save your changes and the rest of the icons update after a reboot... atleast all of the icons that have an english language version
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I think that technically it's a great achievement but if I want to run an OS then I'd like to boot it directly.

There must be some performance hits/issues with starting it within webOS?

I am happy to be put straight, maybe there is no 'webOS' running once Android starts?

Interesting work anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    I think that technically it's a great achievement but if I want to run an OS then I'd like to boot it directly.

There must be some performance hits/issues with starting it within webOS?
    Interesting work anyway.
    for perf not really as this chrooting into android, basically bootstrapping itself which is one of the reasons its faster to load than webos (perf is up to android at that point)...

as for issues some already mentioned about messing up their alpha/beta kernel installs (no one has since mentioned uber), imma stay away until i can get a pc that has novaterm just in case

agreed on the great achivement though..
    (hidd) user.emerg: AddNewFinger: WARNING!!!!!!!: 99 FINGERS ADDED in 1 secs
    mankmil likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkassain View Post
    for perf not really as this chrooting into android, basically bootstrapping itself which is one of the reasons its faster to load than webos (perf is up to android at that point)...

as for issues some already mentioned about messing up their alpha/beta kernel installs (no one has since mentioned uber), imma stay away until i can get a pc that has novaterm just in case

agreed on the great achivement though..
    Thanks for the clarification, it's been a while since I dabbled in Linux.

20 years ago I started my career there (Unix development and network admin), probably time I re-visited and got busy with some proper coding

More choice on the TP has to be good for the users of the device, maybe not webOS.
    Thanks for the clarification, it's been a while since I dabbled in Linux.

20 years ago I started my career there (Unix development and network admin), probably time I re-visited and got busy with some proper coding

More choice on the TP has to be good for the users of the device, maybe not webOS.
    heh in on the other side all I have right now is linux (even worse on arch that people don't use anymore
    (ps3 aka PPC, one of the very few that have it as their main pc, wished that novaterm worked on it...) )
    ( although my gf has a netbook on win 7, don't see each other much though) I feel as if I'm losing a lot of the know how I used to have on win7..

For Unix best I could muster is trying to make sense of FreeBSD although its difficult, to remember which names of programs are linux and the other bsd...hehe
    (OT; yay its correctly auto corrected FB with proper cap)
    (hidd) user.emerg: AddNewFinger: WARNING!!!!!!!: 99 FINGERS ADDED in 1 secs
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    heh in on the other side all I have right now is linux (even worse on arch that people don't use anymore
    (ps3 aka PPC, one of the very few that have it as their main pc, wished that novaterm worked on it...) )
    ( although my gf has a netbook on win 7, don't see each other much though) I feel as if I'm losing a lot of the know how I used to have on win7..

For Unix best I could muster is trying to make sense of FreeBSD although its difficult, to remember which names of programs are linux and the other bsd...hehe
    (OT; yay its correctly auto corrected FB with proper cap)
    Despite being a techie I am still running XP at home and browse with IE8.

I have never touched Vista or 7.

Maybe this is a sign I should be a carpenter or something.

Back on topic - The more I think about this run-in-a-card thing the more it appeals. Especially with the quick Android boot time. From what I know I do like the philosophy of the CM team though and they have said they have no interest in webOS at all so it looks like a dual-booter from them.

Nice to have options and talented people out there willing to put in the time.
    Here is MY video of Chomper Android. Hopefully it helps some of you:

...as for issues some already mentioned about messing up their alpha/beta kernel installs (no one has since mentioned uber), imma stay away until i can get a pc that has novaterm just in case
    YMMV but I have uber installed, and wasnt aware people were having kernal issues until I read this thread AFTER trying it :P... yeah I am a rebel that way
    Works with UEBER_Kernel no problem here on my Touchpad.

@Wifi
    As far as I understand this, it shuts down luna and runs android. So if you connected wifi before running android, it has a internet connection even so it does not show as connected. If you connect with novaterm (which is still working with android up), you will see with a quick ifconfig that the connection is still up. You can use the browser with no problem at all. But it's yet somehow dangerous to use. If you try youtube for example android will crash and reboot with a non functional Touchscreen.
    Google will result on a quick shutdown of the browser. Precentral for example is running good .
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post
    Despite being a techie I am still running XP at home and browse with IE8.

I have never touched Vista or 7.

Maybe this is a sign I should be a carpenter or something.

Back on topic - The more I think about this run-in-a-card thing the more it appeals. Especially with the quick Android boot time. From what I know I do like the philosophy of the CM team though and they have said they have no interest in webOS at all so it looks like a dual-booter from them.

Nice to have options and talented people out there willing to put in the time.
    No... you're not alone. My main computer at home also runs Windows XP with IE8.
    It is very stable and I haven't had to restart the computer in the last 7 months. It is
    left running 24/7 because it also manages my home security system, lights, and
    Skype, as well as acting as a medid network server.
    On his Weibo (Chinese equivalent of Tweeter), he said that the card issue has been fixed, will release soon.

And he is doing this just for fun and not expecting any financial gain.

I would like to contribute to get this project done. It's so incredible if Andorid can truly run within a card under WebOS.

I love WebOS and my touchpad, but I want more app options.

This may unintentionally speed up the death of WebOS?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    For those who have installed it:
    Is there a functional PDF viewer app? How to get PDF files onto it?

Might be a good replacement for the awful WebOS PDF viewer
    Quote Originally Posted by icewarm View Post
    On his Weibo (Chinese equivalent of Tweeter), he said that the card issue has been fixed, will release soon.

And he is doing this just for fun and not expecting any financial gain.

I would like to contribute to get this project done. It's so incredible if Andorid can truly run within a card under WebOS.

I love WebOS and my touchpad, but I want more app options.

This may unintentionally speed up the death of WebOS?
    if he can get their apps to run without the need for the main android GUI but rather use the webOS one to launch their apps seemingly invisibly into a card then it could help it instead.