Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Pshh, Alpha be damned, I'm trying it.

Went to settings and changed the default language to English to make it a bit easier to navigate. So far no icons to get use Menu or Back buttons. Center button acts as Home button. WiFi shows an error in settings but I can still surf online using the browser. Selecting the camera caused Android to restart which then disabled the touchscreen so I had to do a hard reboot. Gallery, music player, ES File Explorer all showed no SD card errors. I was able to add widgets. Android version is 3.1.4.1.5.9.2.6.5 (pi, nice). Battery status doesn't work. You can power off by holding the power button.

Even though it doesn't do much, I'm still impressed. Hopefully Chomper can implement a way to go back to webOS without power cycling.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deduce View Post
    Pshh, Alpha be damned, I'm trying it.

Went to settings and changed the default language to English to make it a bit easier to navigate. So far no icons to get use Menu or Back buttons. Center button acts as Home button. WiFi shows an error in settings but I can still surf online using the browser. Selecting the camera caused Android to restart which then disabled the touchscreen so I had to do a hard reboot. Gallery, music player, ES File Explorer all showed no SD card errors. I was able to add widgets. Android version is 3.1.4.1.5.9.2.6.5 (pi, nice). Battery status doesn't work. You can power off by holding the power button.

Even though it doesn't do much, I'm still impressed. Hopefully Chomper can implement a way to go back to webOS without power cycling.
    Up swipe not work? What about notifications from other webos Apps? Could you trigger a notification via a skype/IM message and get back to the WebOS?
    8MB Visor --> Treo 300 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    All devices obtained within first week of launch
    Can anyone tell me (a non-Chinese speaker and an Android newbie) how to change the language to English? Thanks! {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Can anyone tell me (a non-Chinese speaker and an Android newbie) how to change the language to English? Thanks! {Jonathan}
    Go to Applications (grid like button to the right) / Settings (looks like a grey dial with blue accents as described by Jotokun) / Click the [A] icon / first option let's you pick which language you want.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaerey View Post
    Up swipe not work? What about notifications from other webos Apps? Could you trigger a notification via a skype/IM message and get back to the WebOS?
    It looks like when you load the app it just loads Android and closes out webOS. I didn't get any notifications. I'll need to check again though.
    Last edited by deduce; 10/04/2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: I thought it looked like a gear . . .
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Only if you write an article and include a video for the rest of us to see how well/not well this works.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Go to Applications / Settings / Click the [A] icon / first option let's you pick which language you want.

Edit:
    It looks like when you load the app it just loads Android and closes out webOS. I didn't get any notifications. I'll need to check again though.
    Ohh... so it's not an application in a card? More like it reboots in Android? How fast is the switch?
    Ohh... so it's not an application in a card? More like it reboots in Android? How fast is the switch?
    Android loads very quickly. Less than 10 seconds. Getting back to webOS takes just as long as it normally takes to boot the Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Android loads very quickly. Less than 10 seconds. Getting back to webOS takes just as long as it normally takes to boot the Touchpad.
    Interesting, have you looked at the file structure the IPK creates? I'm really excited to get home and take a look at this.

Ideal World: this one man crew hooks up with the Cyanogen team and we quick boot to their release, or find a way to run their release in a card.
    Interesting, have you looked at the file structure the IPK creates? I'm really excited to get home and take a look at this.

Ideal World: this one man crew hooks up with the Cyanogen team and we quick boot to their release, or find a way to run their release in a card.
    I didn't look at the file structure unfortunately. I just played around with it a bit, saw I was running late to school, then posted my results and ran out the door.
    Go to Applications (grid like button to the right) / Settings (looks like a gear) / Click the [A] icon / first option let's you pick which language you want.
    Not seeing it. There are two gear buttons: Dev Tools and Spare Parts. Dev Tools brings up a listed Configuration, but no obvious way to change it. (Looks like I'd have to change Locale.) Spare Parts has some interesting configuration options but not language.

I'll try to explore with Internalz Pro; maybe there's an editable config file. Thanks. {Jonathan, who can't post screenshots easily because the app redirects all button inputs}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    To change Android text to English:

Step 1: Go to Applications.

Step 2: Click Settings. (Search for icon because for whatever reason I can't change this screen back to it's original language)

Step 3: Click Local and text icon. (Icon looks like [A])

Step 4: Click Select locale. (Top option)

Step 5: Pick your desired language.
    Last edited by deduce; 10/04/2011 at 10:28 PM.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Tried this out, for a first attempt its not bad but by no means is it usable. It boots very fast, but I cant get any 3rd party APKs to run, so unless I'm doing something wrong you're stuck with the stock apps. There's no multitouch, Accelerometor doesnt work, pretty much nothing but touchscreen and wifi work. The volume button gets remaped to Menu and Back. But it runs fast. While you cant get back into webOS without rebooting, the way he says that'll be in a future version leads me to belive that webOS is still running in the background.

To change to English, the settings icon doesnt look like gears. Its more like a grey dial with blue accents.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. Its got a great start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotokun View Post
    To change to English, the settings icon doesnt look like gears. Its more like a grey dial with blue accents.
    THANK YOU! It was that grey dial with the accents; I selected the A in the tile, chose the top option, and was presented with many language choices in English, including English! Now I'll play with it with a bit less fumbling. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    guys,

are there any dependencies for this? I've installed it but it doesnt actually launch anything???

I have the icon, and then nothing. what am I missing???
    can someone upload this to Zumodrive or somewhere not so obnoxious please? I tried downloading it via my TP using the UK English link but it failed... When I went to do it from my computer, it said I have to wait 19min :-O
    MediaFire Link--------> chomper.app.android_0.0.1_all.ipk
    Thanks, but can't get my TP to download from Mediafire... It tries to load the file in the browser, and the Download Link command doesn't seem to do anything...
    Installed it, and then my kernels stopped working. Removed it, did a device restart, uninstalled the kernel, rebooted again, reinstalled it, rebooted, and nothing. Any help? Please don't tell me I have to doctor it :3
    "I'm just here so I don't get fined." -Marshawn Lynch
    sub'd
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    Thanks, but can't get my TP to download from Mediafire... It tries to load the file in the browser, and the Download Link command doesn't seem to do anything...
    It won't download from any site like mediafire, RapidShare, filesonic, etc. as far as I know. If you have access to a computer download it then email it to yourself or send it to box.net and download it. Stupid you can't just download from mediafire, I know.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast