Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  

Looks like a pretty ***** proof install....Then again, I'm a pretty big *****.
    THe default boot is into android and from there you can reboot to webOS. It ought to be the other way around.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    thomas92 and FischOderAal like this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post

Looks like a pretty ***** proof install....Then again, I'm a pretty big *****.
    You and me both matey
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    THe default boot is into android and from there you can reboot to webOS. It ought to be the other way around.
    At the risk of starting another predictable thread ... why?

Not just 'because it's better', really why?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post

Perhaps simply because 'The Original' OS could take precidence?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/02/2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadVim View Post

Yeah :/ it ultimately doesn't matter. Hell, at this point we're vastly more likely to get useful updates from the cyano team than from HP. Like it or not, android is almost certainly going to be remarkably more capable at everyday tasks than webOS (including, for example, having the capacity to properly display text on a webpage - something webOS hasn't gotten right in years).

I'm fine with a dual boot solution like this - I can still use webOS if I want/need to, and I have easy access to android. Seems like a no-downside solution to me. Who cares whether it boots up by default into webOS or not.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    DeadVim likes this.
    Yo!

We get the best of both 'worlds' anyway!

Kudos.. CM7 have really steamed this one!

Brilliant work.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 10/02/2011 at 09:28 AM.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    well it is from an android mod team, to them its probably the right order.
    DeadVim and woodmaster like this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Perhaps simply because 'The Original' could take precidence?

On that basis I'd be switching on a ZX81 and choosing what I'd want.

Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Yeah :/ it ultimately doesn't matter. Hell, at this point we're vastly more likely to get useful updates from the cyano team than from HP. Like it or not, android is almost certainly going to be remarkably more capable at everyday tasks than webOS (including, for example, having the capacity to properly display text on a webpage - something webOS hasn't gotten right in years).

I'm fine with a dual boot solution like this - I can still use webOS if I want/need to, and I have easy access to android. Seems like a no-downside solution to me. Who cares whether it boots up by default into webOS or not.
    Not me certainly, give me both options and let time sort out what is getting my attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    well it is from an android mod team, to them its probably the right order.
    Looks like once Android is installed/loaded, you can pretty much dance from one OS to the other anyway.. chicken or egg!

11.    #11  
    The boot into android seems to be faster than into webOS. This may have entered into their decision.
    I also couldn't help but notice that they installed the android distribution from a configured webOS and, even after partitioning, the webOS install did not have to be reconfigured.
    I may actually have to put in some WORK in order to find a way to mess this up.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Perhaps simply because 'The Original' OS could take precidence?
    Exactly, the original ought to take precedence. I did buy the TouchPad for webOS and obviously plan to use that as my primary OS. Android would just be an extra if and when needed.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    This is the latest Cyanogen guys video on youtube

Thanks for the link, very interesting.

Installing the android Rom looks easy enough.

However, once installed the default boot will be to android. So if you want webOS you will have to go through two boots.
    Most likely wait till ICS is ported, shouldn't be that long. . . unless webOS has a great update. With Chrome + ICS it's hard to turn that down.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I can't wait to get android and the ease of installing makes it more appealing. I like the fact there is a Dual Boot since I bought a few programs on WebOS I want to keep.
    I'm not so familiar with all these Android versions, but I heard that ICS should combine the two lines opened with honeycomb and gingerbread into one version. Is that true?
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Blafoo View Post
    I'm not so familiar with all these Android versions, but I heard that ICS should combine the two lines opened with honeycomb and gingerbread into one version. Is that true?
    Basically... yes - Honeycomb was a tablet only version that was never released widely because google didn't want OEMs trying to put it on phones. from Ice-cream onwards, its the same for both and if coded correctly, apps should scale for both.

I would think that once the the code is out, we will not have to wait too long for ICS on the touchpad as a lot of the groundwork has been done already via the work on trying to get gingerbread on the touchpad.
    Thanks for the explanation CGK.

That sounds pretty nice! I really like the honeycomb UI so if ICS will share some similar GUI, I will be very pleased with an Android port.

However, I still hope that webOS has a future.
    I have used Android 2.1 and 2.2 on a ZTE Blade, plus 2.2 and Honeycomb 3.1 and 3.2 on tablets (Advent Vega and Transformer).

My personal view is that while Honeycomb is an improvement over earlier android versions it is not a massively different user experience.

Therefore I will happily use whatever android version is released to dual boot the TP and update it as and when future releases are issued.
    woodmaster likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast