Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58
Like Tree18Likes
  1. #41  
    anyone have this working??
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Interesting. I've used WP phones on several occasions, just to satisfy my curiosity, and I've walked away each time feeling that it was very limiting, very linear experience. But I also recognize some people want that out of their smartphones, so I won't knock it.
    This isn’t based on any particular comments in this thread, but in general it seems as if people around here, that mention they are looking to migrate to WP7 “if they have to leave webos,” usually reference how they like the underdog. Or more importantly how they don’t like iphone and android because they are so ubiquitous.

    It seems a lot of people are looking for a system that *isn’t* popular. That the two popular systems (iphone and android) are only popular because all the respective “sheep” of the two camps populate them, etc. etc. As such, they don’t want to be part of that.

    It would be interesting to see people’s opinions if WP7 was more the size of the other two. My guess is that people around here would dislike it just as readily then.

    -Suntan
    nappy and dignitary like this.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    This will never be the case for me. While I might put Android on my TP for a few apps, WebOS will always be my primary OS for it. I'm one of the guys who wishes it was the other way around, where you go into Android when you want to.
    My feelings exactly. Although honestly, I really don't even care two hoots for Android and would actually much rather have the option to dual boot into Windows 8. Now that is something to be excited about.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  4.    #44  
    Count me as one who prefers the webOS experience to that of android. That being said, i will definitely load this dualboot solution on to my touchpad when it becomes available just for the increased app options ( easypdf reader is a must!).
    I wonder if later enhancements in ICS ( true multitasking) will make me use webOS less and less as time goes on....anyway, options are always a good thing in my book.
    DeadVim likes this.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    This isn’t based on any particular comments in this thread, but in general it seems as if people around here, that mention they are looking to migrate to WP7 “if they have to leave webos,” usually reference how they like the underdog. Or more importantly how they don’t like iphone and android because they are so ubiquitous.

    It seems a lot of people are looking for a system that *isn’t* popular. That the two popular systems (iphone and android) are only popular because all the respective “sheep” of the two camps populate them, etc. etc. As such, they don’t want to be part of that.

    It would be interesting to see people’s opinions if WP7 was more the size of the other two. My guess is that people around here would dislike it just as readily then.

    -Suntan
    That's pretty dead-on. Anything But Apple is now Anything But Apple And Google.
  6. #46  
    I disagree, I think most webOS users (myself included) actually did try out Android (I used the Evo and the Epic for 2 weeks each) when trying to figure out whether to wait for the next webOS device or jump ship. Also, we all likely have used iOS at some point (there are two iphones in my family). Therefore, when people say they like webOS, I'd venture that (most of the time), it's actually an educated opinion based on experience and not simple rooting-for-the-underdog or apple-hateration.

    That said, when people say they are waiting for Windows 8, that's probably because we all know and are familiar with Windows and Microsoft. Patching/editing .JSON files in webOS is reminiscent of tweaking the registry in Windows, and virtually impossible in iOS and Android (without significant effort and risk), so it's no wonder we as a community have a soft-spot for Windows.

    Personally, I love webOS, it's the best mobile operating system to date, but give me a choice between that and Windows, I'll choose Windows any day, at least on a tablet.
    Windows 8 is no joke, MS has done something special here, and while they started out weak in this market like they did with consoles and the XBOX, they're in it to win and have a killer strategy that legitimately ought to have Apple worried.

    Anyway, we know webOS users are die-hard and passionate, but we're also not blind followers or haters, we've tried everything else, we know what we want out of our devices and are not going simply be served someone else's idea of what we should want.


    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    That's pretty dead-on. Anything But Apple is now Anything But Apple And Google.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by 74sickness View Post
    anyone have this working??
    Its not available yet but its looking like its very close.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by DaDueler View Post
    I disagree, I think most webOS users (myself included) actually did try out Android (I used the Evo and the Epic for 2 weeks each) when trying to figure out whether to wait for the next webOS device or jump ship. Also, we all likely have used iOS at some point (there are two iphones in my family). Therefore, when people say they like webOS, I'd venture that (most of the time), it's actually an educated opinion based on experience and not simple rooting-for-the-underdog or apple-hateration.
    I am not so sure about this, a lot of posters here seem to think that synergy type functionality is unique to WebOS. Similar comments are made about integrated email. That does not indicate much familiarity with other OSes.

    Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  9. megatronium's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    #49  
    Not sure if this has been posted yet.

    fwinst likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by megatronium View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted yet.


    been posted.
  11. #51  
    I see how he could miss it though since when mentioning the TouchPad running Android makes the TouchPad not a Touchpad but an "other tablet."
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by uh60james View Post
    I see how he could miss it though since when mentioning the TouchPad running Android makes the TouchPad not a Touchpad but an "other tablet."

    That's what I was thinking as well... a Touchpad
    running Android does not become "other tablet"
    is webOS is still retained.


    I run Microsoft Windows on my Mac occasionally....
    it does not mean my Mac is a Windows PC!!!
  13. #53  
    If they manage to get honeycomb / ice cream sandwich to dual-boot with webOS on my TouchPad, I'll try it out. But from my experiences with Android, I'll probably delete that partition to free up space soon after trying it out.

    Android has a lot of cool apps, but I've never liked using it, and I never had to justify a purchase so I never had any need to force myself to like it.

    Right now, my TouchPad does everything I want to do, and does it nicely. Android might be fun to play around with though if it's free and painless to get... and get rid of.
  14. #54  
    Someone in China is working on something that allow you to run android in card as an ipk
    he's having some good progress on it
  15. #55  
    I love this comment regarding the video (you have to watch it for it to make sense):

    "I think there is someone at your door. Or trapped beneath the floorboards"
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by huolong1122 View Post
    Someone in China is working on something that allow you to run android in card as an ipk
    he's having some good progress on it
    Got a link to this?

    I am aware of the XDA thread but it seems to me that that's a bunch of enthusiastic non-devs who seem to have entirely failed to get any actual devs interested in the project.
  17. Redflea's Avatar
    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    #58  
    Having access to Android on the TP via dual boot and/or APK will be a fantastic addition to the Touchpad capabilities and expand the device's popularity...it's one of the key reasons I and many of my friends purchased a TP, frankly. I'm really looking forward to an ICS port to the TP more than the GB port which is underway. ICS will be where the device could really fly w/the Android OS.

    I like webOS, and intend to keep webOS on the device when the Android ports become available. However, the future support of the OS on the TP is unclear, and the apps and options are unfortunately still very limited compared to Android at this point. Hopefully that will continue to improve over time.

    Thank goodness for Preware and related developer community work like the custom kernels/overclocking and OS patches/updates/apps - those greatly improve the overall webOS experience, and it was really nice to see how easy it is to make those types of changes on a webOS device.

    One thing I haven't seen discussed yet is custom ROMs. I've only had my TP for a day now, so I'm just beginning to explore.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions