Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    though I am excited by the idea of Android on this tablet, I really really like the webOS interface even though I know it will be emulated into an android gui at some point. Honestly, if the emulation for android system came out for this device and it was optimised alittle more it would in my eyes be the best tablet on the market.

I found myself swiping up on the Sony tablet whilst in the shop????
    Sorry to sound stupid, but where do you get a copy of Android ROM anything to put on your TP when they do figure this out. Is Google supplying this to anyone for free?
    Quote Originally Posted by NorbB View Post
    Sorry to sound stupid, but where do you get a copy of Android ROM anything to put on your TP when they do figure this out. Is Google supplying this to anyone for free?
    Cyanogen will release the ROM when they feel it is ready. As soon as that happens there will be a number of forums that will have dedicated sections telling you where to get the ROM and how to install it. It will be free, but you can donate to Cyanogen. Cyanogen have their own site and forum.

Then there will also be a rush of people customising the ROM. So it will not take long before you will read threads that extol the virtues of one TP android ROM over another version
    Looks interesting and I've seen in previous videos...using the down volume control to boot back into webOS...though he did not show since they were referencing the new Android boot into webOS options from their menu mod and update.

Either way, does anyone know how storage is being used in this arrangement? I heard Cyanogen Mod has already gotten read/write access to webOS partitions from inside Android. I guess if they use the same storage locations...it would make things easier to go back and forth between systems. I'm pretty sure this is their plan and I'm looking forward to future prospects! Sorli...
    this is starting to get me exited. Would be interesting to be able to enjoy from androids app catalog and still be able to use webos
    Eventually most people will want Android to be the primary OS as webOS begins to lag behind in both updates and new apps (and without new hardware and new users, it will), so it makes sense. Booting into webOS will be a novelty soon.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Booting into webOS will be a novelty soon.
    This will never be the case for me. While I might put Android on my TP for a few apps, WebOS will always be my primary OS for it. I'm one of the guys who wishes it was the other way around, where you go into Android when you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    This will never be the case for me. While I might put Android on my TP for a few apps, WebOS will always be my primary OS for it. I'm one of the guys who wishes it was the other way around, where you go into Android when you want to.
    Oh I agree completely. If not for Email alone to access my Google Apps accounts. It is amazing how bad Android email and calendar clients are compared to the simplicity and ease of Synergy in webOS.

Personally, I can see booting Android for game play and a few apps that have no option on webOS, but other then that it will be just like me running Windows XP and 7 via BootCamp on my Mac. I only use Microsoft when I have no other option on Mac and that is all. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    As they stated in the video, there is no app yet in webOS that allows you to choose to reboot to either Android or webOS. So I guess they will build one, or at least explain how it can be build.

That means that you are only forced to first boot in Android when starting from a fully powered off state. Please, what's the big deal...
    Yes, that's pretty cool. I wasn't counting on this and still am not but it does look promising. I'd be OK with WebOS if it never comes out but options are good.
    <<threads merged>>
    I'd expect you to say that now, the webOS community is still pretty lively. But eventually, things will begin to dry up, and you'll find yourself staying in Android longer. Besides, when your TouchPad finally bites it, and you have to get a new tablet (and you will, tablets are addictive), guess what OS won't be on it? Might as well be ready to jump right in
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Personally, I can see booting Android for game play and a few apps that have no option on webOS, but other then that it will be just like me running Windows XP and 7 via BootCamp on my Mac. I only use Microsoft when I have no other option on Mac and that is all. Sorli...
    A better comparison would be running Windows 7 using VirtualPC on Mac OS 9 (discontinued like webOS on tablets), since OS X is still an active OS (unlike webOS on tablets). You may love OS 9, but fact is that it's no longer being produced and you're going to eventually have to move on to something else. But I do get hanging on for as long as you can, I did the same thing with HD-DVD and my Atari Lynx
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    guess what OS won't be on it? Might as well be ready to jump right in
    While this may be true the OS I'll be jumping to if anything is windows 8. Same feeling about my phone, when I'm done with my Pre 2 I'll go to WP.
    While this may be true the OS I'll be jumping to if anything is windows 8. Same feeling about my phone, when I'm done with my Pre 2 I'll go to WP.
    Same here, although I do hope webOS sticks around for phones...
    Nice I wonder if skype will work. And how much space it takes to load a dual boot.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by crutzulee View Post

Looks like a pretty ***** proof install....Then again, I'm a pretty big *****.
    I used to be a computer programmer - before they were called developers. We had a saying "So soon as you *****-proof something, along comes a better *****". . . LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by thirsy1258 View Post
    Nice I wonder if skype will work. And how much space it takes to load a dual boot.

sent from my thunderbolt
    I don't see why it wouldn't as long as you have a decent WiFi connection.

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
    Interesting. I've used WP phones on several occasions, just to satisfy my curiosity, and I've walked away each time feeling that it was very limiting, very linear experience. But I also recognize some people want that out of their smartphones, so I won't knock it.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    I think webos is pretty cool and I've never been a huge fan of Android but I forsee myself hardly ever booting into webos once the android port is out. The apps on webos are weak and I can pretty much do everything that I do with webos in android and more.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast