Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    .....how often will you boot up into WebOS?

For me, almost never. I was a LONG time Palm fanatic, but other than the notifications and the unified mailbox, I never really liked WebOS that much when I got my Pre. I find myself constantly comparing my Touchpad to my iPad 2, and except for email, I'm not really loving WebOS on a bigger tablet. I constantly accidentally collapse windows I'm using to cards, and usually right in the middle of a game or zooming out in the browser. I hate the way the browser wiggles when scrolling, and I hate that there isn't a quick way to get back to the top. The text is not as clear when fully condensed. Then, of course, there's the lack of apps.

But OS style preferences aside, why boot up in WebOS? I've never spent time with an Android tablet, but i much prefer my Thunderbolt to my Pre, so i can only surmise that an Android tablet will be better for me that a WebOS tablet. Is there something that we can do in WebOS that we won't be able to do in Android??
    honestly the cards in webos is epic. I just wished they would fix the quirks like no scaling in adobe, buggy apps, etc.
    Seriously how many of these threads do we need? YES webOS has it quirks, YES there will be a Android build. Yes you might use it over webOS, YES no one cares what you do or don't run.
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    This is a good question.. webOS is awesome, it's just that the app selection is so poor, it makes the whole OS almost useless. So, I would have to say that I would probably only use it for the sake of nostalgia..
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Seriously how many of these threads do we need? YES webOS has it quirks, YES there will be a Android build. Yes you might use it over webOS, YES no one cares what you do or don't run.
    This forum is where we talk about these sorts of things. What else is there to do?
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    502 Global Posts
    I am surprised as to how much I like webos on the touchpad. I was a die hard windows mobile person until recently (long story) then got the EVO 3D and absolutely love it. I bought the TP with the notion that I will put droid on it as soon as possible. But here's the thing, for what I want a tablet to do webos is great!

It took some time to get use to but now I fly and a lot of apps I use on my droid phone can simply be utilized on the TP with its full web flash capabilities.

I never thought in a million years I would be using 3 different OS's with my computing needs. But here I am. Happy with all.....weird lol
    MobileBill23 likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    You seem to care

I'll be installing it and checking it out.

I've never used Android so I'll be enjoying the simple pleasures of playing with something new.

I have no expectations that it will be 'better' than webOS, I hope it provides options more than anything else.

How often I use webOS will depend on what updates/apps are released and how the overall performance compares to Android.

I think that fact that it can be done is something to be applauded in itself.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Now with Splashtop in touchpad, I believe I will more likely be staying in webOS for using its multitasking and synergy feature without missing out some functions.
    I honestly will miss webOS.. I hope that ol' Meg can give it a fresh breath of life..
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    I love webOS but after using all the mobile OS's for a while each, I would say iOS is the worst and Android is the most customizable, compatible, useful, overall polished OS for mobile devices. webOS with some updates would change my mind but as it stands now and with a future of probably no updates I'll be booting up Android as soon as at least the honeycomb version comes available.
    Stamponephoto likes this.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Again, my point was to see whether there is anything that can be done in WebOS that can't be done in Android. This isn't about which OS is better or which you prefer using.

So far I have one person mention Splashtop, and another mention flash capabilities. Splashtop has builds for all the mobile OSs, so that's not a reason to use WebOS over Android. The flash comment intrigues me, however, given that I have a 5-year who utilizes a lot of flash-based sites. I've never tried to use flash on my Android phone......does WebOS do flash better than Android?? I tried a couple of kids sites just today with mixed results, but I'd love to hear from others who have used both the Touchpad and Android tablets. Obviously my iPad 2 can't do flash sites, and has to rely on separate apps to access the content, so this might one reason to boot up into WebOS. Any others??
    Anybody have a rough idea how much space the dual boot might take? Is it going to be useable on the 16gb tablets (assuming you don't keep a bunch of video on your device)? I think the base webos install is about 4gb from the factory if I remember...
    Approx 6Gb?
    Honestly? I will never load Android onto my TouchPad. I've used Android for long enough to know that webOS is just simply better.
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Isandunk View Post
    Honestly? I will never load Android onto my TouchPad. I've used Android for long enough to know that webOS is just simply better.
    I don't believe I could have made the point of this thread any clearer. Just 3 posts up from yours:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Again, my point was to see whether there is anything that can be done in WebOS that can't be done in Android. This isn't about which OS is better or which you prefer using.
    I am very new to WebOS but I like it. However, I don't like the limited number of apps. Actually, it is not just the limited number, but it is the limited quality and the cost.

However I really like the TP hardware (great screen, good sound etc). So I think as soon as a half decent Android port is available I will hardly ever use WebOS.

So far I have one person mention Splashtop, and another mention flash capabilities. Splashtop has builds for all the mobile OSs, so that's not a reason to use WebOS over Android. The flash comment intrigues me, however, given that I have a 5-year who utilizes a lot of flash-based sites. I've never tried to use flash on my Android phone......does WebOS do flash better than Android?? I tried a couple of kids sites just today with mixed results, but I'd love to hear from others who have used both the Touchpad and Android tablets. Obviously my iPad 2 can't do flash sites, and has to rely on separate apps to access the content, so this might one reason to boot up into WebOS. Any others??
    The difficulty with your query is that webOS's principal differentiator doesn't come from enhanced capabilities, but instead from a different UI approach to using those capabilities. Generally, Android can do everything webOS can do and more; it just does it with less elegance and intuitiveness.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    zc1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Approx 6Gb?
    dang, that would mean roughly 65% of available storage on a 16gb tab for a dual boot. Kinda makes it more of an either/or decision if that's all you have.

Oh, and to the OP's question.... I had (and still have) a low end android tab that I used before I got the touchpad. While I like WebOs fine, if android comes through and is stable I'll probably jump and not look back. Only because the answer, for ME, to

"Is there something that we can do in WebOS that we won't be able to do in Android"

is no. That might not be true for everybody, but again having used both for me it is.
    Last edited by chrisby; 09/30/2011 at 02:45 AM.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Choice of keyboards, choice of browsers.
    I hate both on the touchpad.
    I"ll probably use it to program Android on but that's about it.

Android really sucks without 4 hardware buttons. Virtual buttons on the screen suck too. (Speaking from experience)

Honestly, WebOS has everything I need and want and it's super easy to use. Android has many more apps (although 90% are crap) and is more customizable, but it's not as easy as WebOS.
    NorbB and MobileBill23 like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast