Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    I encoded a film to to MP4 format and played it on both the Asus Transformer and the Touchpad. Sorry I cannot give you any info on the quality but the file was about 1.5gb

Both the devices started the film virtually instantly. There is a difference between the two, due to screen issues but that is subjective.

The really big difference is navigation within the film. Using the slider on the Transformer instantly moves the scene to different parts of the film and it starts again instantly. The Touchpad paused after using the slider. I counted 25 seconds on one occasion.

The film was on an 8GB microSD card in the Transformer. The TP was running at 1.5GB

I hope that helps
    Well, we won't know if it's hardware or OS-related until we get our hands on the Android port for the Touchpad, but thanks for the test!
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I hope to get rid of webOS completely. I find it useless at this point. After 2 years one would think progress would be made but it is like the same webOS that I got on the original Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Flash experience depends on what you're viewing. Google Doodles? Better on the Transformer. YouTube vids up to 720p, equal on both. YouTube vids @ 1080p, hands-down the TouchPad wins..
    Not a huge selling point when the touchpad can't physically display 1080P .

720P is basically right at the maximum resolution of the touchpad. Physical limitation of the 1024x768 screen = no reason to go any higher on resolution as you get harder to process video and no tangible benefit.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    I'll probably still use webOS for casual use. It's a nice casual tablet and it has most of what I need to enjoy it.

But I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I'll end up using android more.

I can't complain about the touchpad (much) because it really was a steal, but that won't stop me from jumping ship when possible to get a web browser with text reflow and PROPER text rendering (no more stupid garbled text displayed on webpages - it's really started to annoy me).

And thats one of the many examples of things I'll probably jump ship for. Cyano's gingerbread is pretty damn nice as it sits. ICS will likely improve things further and isn't too far on the horizon.

Also - this thing's going to be a performance BEAST once it gets properly ported and overclocked. 1.8ghz dual core android tablet makes it the most powerful on the market. It's already getting incredible performance ratings on the tests I've seen out of the devs even at stock speed. Android gives our device a lease on life that will likely keep it relevant and top-notch in terms of hardware for a nice long time. Face it, webOS drags this tablet down in terms of performance. Like it or not, android is going to scream in comparison. I'm absolutely willing to make that transition.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I'll probably still use webOS for casual use. It's a nice casual tablet and it has most of what I need to enjoy it.

But I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I'll end up using android more.

I can't complain about the touchpad (much) because it really was a steal, but that won't stop me from jumping ship when possible to get a web browser with text reflow and PROPER text rendering (no more stupid garbled text displayed on webpages - it's really started to annoy me).

And thats one of the many examples of things I'll probably jump ship for. Cyano's gingerbread is pretty damn nice as it sits. ICS will likely improve things further and isn't too far on the horizon.

Also - this thing's going to be a performance BEAST once it gets properly ported and overclocked. 1.8ghz dual core android tablet makes it the most powerful on the market. It's already getting incredible performance ratings on the tests I've seen out of the devs even at stock speed. Android gives our device a lease on life that will likely keep it relevant and top-notch in terms of hardware for a nice long time. Face it, webOS drags this tablet down in terms of performance. Like it or not, android is going to scream in comparison. I'm absolutely willing to make that transition.
    I guess my decision was made before I brought a Touchpad. I purchased a 32GB version to make sure I have storage for a dual boot. Now I have one and have been playing with the OS (and buying apps), I still think I am likely to mostly use Android (and I would not class myself as a big Android fan).
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Well, we won't know if it's hardware or OS-related until we get our hands on the Android port for the Touchpad, but thanks for the test!
    I have been following this forums android thread quite closely and most people report that the Touchpad is much faster when running android, even though it is only an alpha release.

I guess that answers the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    countless posts like this, somehow in the eyes of many an OS is deflated in its ability/worth because of "apps", apps do not make the OS any better or worse, more apps just means you have more apps, your app collection doesnt somehow make webOS somehow 50x better, preware tweaks etc make the OS better, and thats the only thing that does.

apps mean nothing when your talking about "how good an OS is", if people wish to moan about a lack of apps then you post about that in a "touchpad lacks apps" thread, the OS is the OS the apps are apps, the 2 are not the somehow the same.
    You're making a distinction that's completely irrelevant to the average user.

An OS exists to run apps. An OS without apps, is just a bunch of menus.

From a practical standpoint, they are the same thing.
    I'm a hardcore android user and at first didn't like webos, but after having a touchpad for about 2 months, the simplicity and intuitiveness is better than both ios and android (honeycomb) on a tablet. . . although I like android, i'm not a ******, I just like the customization that android brings to my phone. . .tomorrow we get to see what ice cream sandwich has in store for us, and I'm willing to bet the melding of one android o/s for both tablet and phone will make the whole tablet experience that much better. . .all things being equal, if webos was as mature as android or ios on a tablet, AND had as many apps available as the other two o/s's then yes, I would stick with webos. . .but in the near future android will be the best alternative (ICS) for me. . .i really like webos, but I really like having a tablet that runs smooth and fast as a dual core tablet should, with as many apps as I can use to customize and make things even better. . oh yeah webos browser is decent, but too many quirks, compared to the 20 different browsers available for android. . .ok rant over, continue about your day. . .

once again the forum gods decided that f-a-n-b-o-y warrants ******. . .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123