Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
Like Tree8Likes
  1. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    ...webOS's principal differentiator doesn't come from enhanced capabilities, but instead from a different UI approach to using those capabilities. Generally, Android can do everything webOS can do and more; it just does it with less elegance...
    Perfectly put. That's it, in a nutshell. It's not what it does but, rather, how it does it. As HP put it, "like nothing else." The WebOS user experience is so nice that I really wish it was more complete (features-wise) and less buggy. The developer community is working hard to fix that, and is by far WebOSs greatest strength.

    Android Honeycomb is kind of clunky out of the box, but if you take as much time setting it up as people here do setting up their TouchPads then it can become a very good working environment. We currently have an Asus Transformer (almost 6 months,now), an iPad (a couple of years, I guess), and a TouchPad (about 2 months, now). I had an iPad 2 for a short time and sold it.

    WebOS on the TouchPad is the most beautiful of the three, by far -- great display, great fonts, wonderful user experience (cards, swiping, WebOS's version of multitasking). It's also the least finished and, out of the box, is missing a lot of basic features that are present in iOS and Honeycomb. If WebOS was capable of doing everything that I do on my Transformer then the TouchPad would be my go-to tablet because I really enjoy 'the WebOS way of doing things.'
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    I am very new to WebOS but I like it. However, I don't like the limited number of apps. Actually, it is not just the limited number, but it is the limited quality and the cost.

    However I really like the TP hardware (great screen, good sound etc). So I think as soon as a half decent Android port is available I will hardly ever use WebOS.
    countless posts like this, somehow in the eyes of many an OS is deflated in its ability/worth because of "apps", apps do not make the OS any better or worse, more apps just means you have more apps, your app collection doesnt somehow make webOS somehow 50x better, preware tweaks etc make the OS better, and thats the only thing that does.

    apps mean nothing when your talking about "how good an OS is", if people wish to moan about a lack of apps then you post about that in a "touchpad lacks apps" thread, the OS is the OS the apps are apps, the 2 are not the somehow the same.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 09/30/2011 at 11:57 AM.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    countless posts like this, somehow in the eyes of many an OS is delated in its ability because of "apps", apps do not make the OS any better or worse, more apps just means you have more apps, your app collection doesnt somehow make webOS somehow 50x better, preware tweaks etc make the OS better, and thats the only thing that does.

    apps mean nothing when your talking about "how good an OS is", if people wish to moan about a lack of apps then you post about that in a "touchpad lacks apps" thread, the OS is the OS the apps are apps, the 2 are not the somehow the same.
    I think you make a valid point and agree, but only up to a point. Surely for the average user what counts, is what they can do with the devise. For all practical purposes, it does not really matter how good the OS might be, if they cannot do what they want to do with it.

    As an example, there are a couple of games plus a couple of apps that my wife really likes that are only available for the iPad. It would be pointless for me to extol the virtues of WebOS, because it does not have those apps and therefore she would never use it.

    So from a purely semantic point of view I agree with you, but from a practical point of view, I disagree.
    DeadVim likes this.
  4. #24  
    Sure they are .... you can have the best car in the world but if it runs on MOON DUST no one will buy it and as soon as they give you a GAS option you will be getting one... Same principle... The WebOs is a great amusement park with no rides to go on... Such a disapointment
  5. #25  
    For me it's all about the browser.
    I don't need a lot of other apps if the browser is fast and gives me a desktop equivalent. . . neither webOS or Android are there at this point. The Playbook's browser seemed to be the best from my tests but I do think that the TP browser could be there--there's just a few bugs and features plus a major increase in speed needed.
  6. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
       #26  
    Ok, for the third time, this thread is supposed to be about WHAT WebOS can do compared to Android, not HOW it can do it. I am not interested in how or why anyone thinks WebOS is better than Android. This thread is about what WebOS can do that Android cannot do, or do better.

    To the poster that has both tablets, does the Touchpad handle flash better than the Transformer?
  7. kristv's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #27  
    As others have said, for me the issue with WebOS is lack of apps and Netflix. I can deal with the small quirks (Flash, etc.), but these two things will keep me from continuing to use WebOS when Android comes out for the Touchpad. I currently use an Android phone and love the customization of the OS and the fact that you can get a great many excellent FREE games for Android as well as play Netflix on it. If these things improve with WebOS in the coming months, then it will be a very hard decision for me. I do like a lot of what the OS does and the look of it, but I don't like what it is currently lacking.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Again, my point was to see whether there is anything that can be done in WebOS that can't be done in Android. This isn't about which OS is better or which you prefer using.

    So far I have one person mention Splashtop, and another mention flash capabilities. Splashtop has builds for all the mobile OSs, so that's not a reason to use WebOS over Android. The flash comment intrigues me, however, given that I have a 5-year who utilizes a lot of flash-based sites. I've never tried to use flash on my Android phone......does WebOS do flash better than Android?? I tried a couple of kids sites just today with mixed results, but I'd love to hear from others who have used both the Touchpad and Android tablets. Obviously my iPad 2 can't do flash sites, and has to rely on separate apps to access the content, so this might one reason to boot up into WebOS. Any others??
    I use webOS for its Synergy capability, being able to link accounts into one easy to use notification system with Dashboard functionality, Just Type "Quick Actions" and my favorite....Exhibition Mode and apps that are taking advantage of it. All of these functions make my decision easy. Android may have ways of replication some of these features but I would assume that they are app based with a charge.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Flash on the transformer is a lot smoother than on webOS. You don't need to overclock anything and everything is much snappier compared to webOS laggy performance. Also flash is updated on a regular basis since it is downloaded from the market. I am not sure how flash will be updated on webOS. Also the transformer comes with a really good doc editior and there are many in the market to chose from. A really good ereader comes preinstalled while webOS has one really bad ereader that is worked on by one person. All the essentials are there and they are mostly free. Need a twitter client? There is twitter and tweetdeck at no extra cost.
    Yes I completely agree. I have the Asus Transformer and I find both flash and video is smoother on the Transformer. I like the card system on WebOS, but the Transformer has the "recent apps" and widgets that partly compensates.

    As an aside as I type this the transformer is undergoing a firmware update. I had a notification of new firmware when I unlocked it, pressed an OK button and off it goes. I assume such things will not happen with WebOS?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    Yes I completely agree. I have the Asus Transformer and I find both flash and video is smoother on the Transformer. I like the card system on WebOS, but the Transformer has the "recent apps" and widgets that partly compensates.

    As an aside as I type this the transformer is undergoing a firmware update. I had a notification of new firmware when I unlocked it, pressed an OK button and off it goes. I assume such things will not happen with WebOS?
    webOS works the same way.
  11. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    To the poster that has both tablets, does the Touchpad handle flash better than the Transformer?
    Flash experience depends on what you're viewing. Google Doodles? Better on the Transformer. YouTube vids up to 720p, equal on both. YouTube vids @ 1080p, hands-down the TouchPad wins. Can's video out with the TouchPad, can with the Transformer. Properly-encoded video (i.e. DVD ripped to play on Transformer) works flawlessly. I haven't tried that with the TouchPad, yet.

    Anything else specific that you want to know about? Maybe state specific tasks for which you use the TouchPad (like viewing Flash content) and then you might get responses more along the lines that you want.

    Another thing to keep in mind is that the Cyanogenmod port of Android to the TouchPad is based on Android 2.3.x Gingerbread, and not 3.x Honeycomb so it's a phone OS port, not a tablet OS port.
  12. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
       #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Flash experience depends on what you're viewing. Google Doodles? Better on the Transformer. YouTube vids up to 720p, equal on both. YouTube vids @ 1080p, hands-down the TouchPad wins. Can's video out with the TouchPad, can with the Transformer. Properly-encoded video (i.e. DVD ripped to play on Transformer) works flawlessly. I haven't tried that with the TouchPad, yet.

    Anything else specific that you want to know about? Maybe state specific tasks for which you use the TouchPad (like viewing Flash content) and then you might get responses more along the lines that you want.
    Interesting! I wonder if the video performance is hardware related or OS related. In other words, would a Touchpad do as well in the video playback department running Android as it did running WebOS?

    I actually did state one specific task very early in this thread, but had no response:

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    The flash comment intrigues me, however, given that I have a 5-year who utilizes a lot of flash-based sites. I've never tried to use flash on my Android phone......does WebOS do flash better than Android?? I tried a couple of kids sites just today with mixed results, but I'd love to hear from others who have used both the Touchpad and Android tablets. Obviously my iPad 2 can't do flash sites, and has to rely on separate apps to access the content, so this might one reason to boot up into WebOS. Any others??
    This was in response to someone else mentioning the difference with flash, which was great! The WHOLE point was for other users to tell me based on their experiences why you might still want to boot into WebOS once the dual boot port is available. There were only 3 responses in this entire thread that were on point: the use of Splashtop, flash, and your video playback post. Maybe there will be others.
  13. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #33  
    There'll always be some apps in webOS that you can't get for android as well. Splashtop actually works better on the transformer than it does on the touchpad, in my experience, especially if you have multiple monitors.
  14. dcpmark's Avatar
    Posts
    560 Posts
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
       #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    There'll always be some apps in webOS that you can't get for android as well. Splashtop actually works better on the transformer than it does on the touchpad, in my experience, especially if you have multiple monitors.
    I still can't get it to work properly on the Touchpad when accessing my Mac, but I'm attributing it to "user error" so far. Splashtop works perfectly on my iPad, though.

    I'd love to hear more about WebOS apps that give you some functionality that Android apps don't.
  15. #35  
    I have a couple of good quality videos in MP4 format. Later today I will load them onto the Touchpad and the Transformer and let you know how I get on.

    I did a quick side by side comparison of the BBC iPayer site. Nothing scientific and only for a few minutes so nothing definitive. I found the Transformer loaded quicker, performed better and was more reliable. The Touchpad had trouble loading a programme and then froze after a few seconds. However, most of the time it worked and the delay in loading compared to the Transformer was only marginal and I found it perfectly acceptable to watch.

    My current frustration with the Touchpad is UPnP/DNLA video streaming from my NAS. The Transformer comes with MyCloud that lets stream media (Video, Music, Photos). It works but is very buggy. As far as I am aware similar functionality does not come as standard on the Touchpad. Free Android apps are better than MyCloud and let you stream a variety of video formats.

    However, in a five minute test I did find a movie that would stream to both tablets (using Bhome on the TP) and I could see no perceptible difference in performance
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    I think you make a valid point and agree, but only up to a point. Surely for the average user what counts, is what they can do with the devise. For all practical purposes, it does not really matter how good the OS might be, if they cannot do what they want to do with it.

    As an example, there are a couple of games plus a couple of apps that my wife really likes that are only available for the iPad. It would be pointless for me to extol the virtues of WebOS, because it does not have those apps and therefore she would never use it.

    So from a purely semantic point of view I agree with you, but from a practical point of view, I disagree.
    as do i, but id much prefer people bash the app issue directly and not the OS, if they specifically MEAN apps are their gripe, the OS does have have flaws, its not perfect but ive yet to see many valid threads where after their post is over the OS was the issue, typically its "webOS sucks because i dont have apps abc/xyz".

    if they have an actual OS related issue then yeah, bash away, nothing gets patched/fixed unless those types of things get talked about.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by zc1 View Post
    Perfectly put. That's it, in a nutshell. It's not what it does but, rather, how it does it. As HP put it, "like nothing else." The WebOS user experience is so nice that I really wish it was more complete (features-wise) and less buggy. The developer community is working hard to fix that, and is by far WebOSs greatest strength.

    Android Honeycomb is kind of clunky out of the box, but if you take as much time setting it up as people here do setting up their TouchPads then it can become a very good working environment. We currently have an Asus Transformer (almost 6 months,now), an iPad (a couple of years, I guess), and a TouchPad (about 2 months, now). I had an iPad 2 for a short time and sold it.

    WebOS on the TouchPad is the most beautiful of the three, by far -- great display, great fonts, wonderful user experience (cards, swiping, WebOS's version of multitasking). It's also the least finished and, out of the box, is missing a lot of basic features that are present in iOS and Honeycomb. If WebOS was capable of doing everything that I do on my Transformer then the TouchPad would be my go-to tablet because I really enjoy 'the WebOS way of doing things.'

    How likely is webOS to be made more polished? I am a new user, and, for the most part, enjoy it. But recently, the lackluster browsing has begun to frustrate me. More over, I was really excited about gifting these to several people; I have 2 32GB TPs coming form HP - and I am hoping to get a total of 4 or so 16 GB TPs (hopefully selling the 32s to help me finance that). Right now, I do not trust giving the TP as a gift, although I do not mind hits hiccups on most days. I am now just thinking that a dual boot would be an option in my situation. If not, I will just sell the TPs - keep mine - but get different gifts for others.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    webOS works the same way.
    I am still a very new Touchpad owner and there are still lost of threads for me to read but I had assumed that HP would no longer support the Touchpad firmware and so updates would not be coming our way. I am please to be wrong in my assumption. Thanks for the information.
  19. zc1
    zc1 is offline
    zc1's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    #39  
    <THREADJACK>
    To the OP, sorry to thread-jack, but I think the lack of answers to your question is the answer, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchkeeper View Post
    How likely is webOS to be made more polished? I am a new user, and, for the most part, enjoy it. But recently, the lackluster browsing has begun to frustrate me. More over, I was really excited about gifting these to several people; I have 2 32GB TPs coming form HP - and I am hoping to get a total of 4 or so 16 GB TPs (hopefully selling the 32s to help me finance that). Right now, I do not trust giving the TP as a gift, although I do not mind hits hiccups on most days. I am now just thinking that a dual boot would be an option in my situation. If not, I will just sell the TPs - keep mine - but get different gifts for others.
    As far as polish, I think the TouchPad gets more polished every day. It's just that the finishing pieces are being added by third-party developers rather than HP. Looking at the ease and speed with which people have developed patches for various aspects of WebOS, it's clear to me that HP just gave up on it a long time ago. These aren't things that couldn't/shouldn't have easily been hammered out by HP coders.

    I have bought a total of 4 TPs. One for myself, two for my parents and one for my mother-in-law. They are very low-maintenance internet users. A few websites, some email and some e-books and they're happy. I haven't heard any complaints about the TP from them, so far. The Touchstone's a neat little bit of kit, too, and they like being able to just drop the TP onto the Touchstone rather than fishing for cables. I think it still makes a good gift for the 'low-maintenance,' for the 'tinkerer,' and for the 'WebOS zealot' lol.
    </THREADJACK>
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    Interesting! I wonder if the video performance is hardware related or OS related. In other words, would a Touchpad do as well in the video playback department running Android as it did running WebOS?
    I encoded a film to to MP4 format and played it on both the Asus Transformer and the Touchpad. Sorry I cannot give you any info on the quality but the file was about 1.5gb

    Both the devices started the film virtually instantly. There is a difference between the two, due to screen issues but that is subjective.

    The really big difference is navigation within the film. Using the slider on the Transformer instantly moves the scene to different parts of the film and it starts again instantly. The Touchpad paused after using the slider. I counted 25 seconds on one occasion.

    The film was on an 8GB microSD card in the Transformer. The TP was running at 1.5GB

    I hope that helps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions