Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PainToad View Post
    Why would you replace the wonderful webOS with that opensource mess.
    One word: Apps.

When webOS dies (not IF, but when) why would anyone continue to develop apps for it? And the app selection now is a fraction of other platforms. I know this is not new to you. I enjoy webOS just fine, but for all intents and purposes, it's no better or worse than most other systems.

So it comes down to apps.
    Why would you replace the wonderful webOS with that opensource mess.
    You're not going to... it'll be available as a dual boot option. When you power up the TP you can pick whether you want to run WebOS or Android. It'll be sweet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasDig View Post
    One word: Apps.

When webOS dies (not IF, but when) why would anyone continue to develop apps for it? And the app selection now is a fraction of other platforms. I know this is not new to you. I enjoy webOS just fine, but for all intents and purposes, it's no better or worse than most other systems.

So it comes down to apps.
    If you have Google Reader App, Email, Calendar, eBook, Comic Reader and Browser, what else do youactually need? 1000 fart apps? 1000000 pointless widgets to waste battery, memory and data? 10000 hideous themes made by people with zero UX knowledge (in their defence neither does Google)?
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
    You're not going to... it'll be available as a dual boot option. When you power up the TP you can pick whether you want to run WebOS or Android. It'll be sweet.
    That is what I am looking forward to! Dual boot!
    If you have Google Reader App, Email, Calendar, eBook, Comic Reader and Browser, what else do youactually need? 1000 fart apps? 1000000 pointless widgets to waste battery, memory and data? 10000 hideous themes made by people with zero UX knowledge (in their defence neither does Google)?
    Simmer down there killer. Just cause you don't want a native youtube app, choices for your browser, games, forum apps, keyboard layout choices, customize desktops doesn't mean no one else does. You can keep loyal to WebOS for the rest of your life and I won't come to a forum screaming at you for it; but I'm installing this port as soon as it drops.

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leach19m View Post
    Simmer down there killer. Just cause you don't want a native youtube app, choices for your browser, games, forum apps, keyboard layout choices, customize desktops doesn't mean no one else does. You can keep loyal to WebOS for the rest of your life and I won't come to a forum screaming at you for it; but I'm installing this port as soon as it drops.

My name is Mike, and I'm a flashaholic. But thanks to my sponsor, MIUI, I've been clean for weeks.
    After owning an Android tablet (that I ebayed a week after getting the TouchPad) for 2 months, I got into that trap of wasting my time with that stuff. Then I remebered I have better things to do with my time.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Not so excited about the Android port. It takes 4 touches (ignoring the touches that didn't register) just to see which wifi network you're connected to when it just take one on webOS. I have TP and Galaxy Tab 7" but this is the kind of stuff that keeps me from using Galaxy
    Fyi, on CyanogenMod 7 which is basically gingerbread, and what they're putting on the tp), it's a swipe and a touch away to do that. There's 5 ways to do everything on android, which is good for the long run, bad for the learning curve.

. . NS4G . . CM7 . .
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    After owning an Android tablet (that I ebayed a week after getting the TouchPad) for 2 months, I got into that trap of wasting my time with that stuff. Then I remebered I have better things to do with my time.
    like trolling about why you don't like android in the precentral forums?
    DeadVim likes this.
    Indeed - ultimately android on the touchpad is a big step along the same path we've loved to travel with our very "open and homebrew supporting" devices.

There's no reason to be upset with it. Clearly if you don't want to run android there is absolutely no reason you have to. And sure, webOS is a decent OS, but it's pretty short-sighted to imagine that it will remain the best option on your device. In the end, it's limited support, general sluggish performance, and less capable web browser will be what pushes me toward a dual-boot system. We should be glad that palm, and later palm/HP, have maintained such an open architecture that ALLOWS for this sort of port to happen. This is a net positive for our device.

I probably won't mess around with gingerbread of course - it's not an ideal tablet OS and I think we can all agree on that. I'll mess around with it and maybe leave it on the device for a few things it can do that webOS -can't- and likely never will be able to do.

ICS though? I'll be dual booting that the second it's available. And if it proves to be generally more useful/capable than webOS, you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be using it almost 100% of the time.

It comes down to a simple truth. For all it's niceties, webOS gets enough of the "big stuff" wrong for me to abandon it if the right OS comes along. Make no mistake, I love webOS and have NO complaints at 100$, but if someone offers me up an OS on my 100$ device that does a better job of, to name a few examples, web browsing, content creation, forum browsing, having a robust app catalog - I'm there.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    dignitary likes this.
    Again with the fart apps ... please go to market.android.com, look at the top 100 apps, hell look at the top 1000, and tell me how many of them are fart apps. Maybe back in the early days of Android, when putting together a simple collection of sounds was all some people could do for an app, but it's 2011, Android has been out for years, and the apps are a lot more sophisticated and useful.

The passengers on the Titanic probably thought, "Hey, we have food, water, live entertainment, and dry clothes -- all we'd ever need out on the open sea, why would we want to jump off this sinking ship???"
    DeadVim and dignitary like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by decalex View Post
    like trolling about why you don't like android in the precentral forums?
    Lmao. Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Again with the fart apps ... please go to market.android.com, look at the top 100 apps, hell look at the top 1000, and tell me how many of them are fart apps. Maybe back in the early days of Android, when putting together a simple collection of sounds was all some people could do for an app, but it's 2011, Android has been out for years, and the apps are a lot more sophisticated and useful.

The passengers on the Titanic probably thought, "Hey, we have food, water, live entertainment, and dry clothes -- all we'd ever need out on the open sea, why would we want to jump off this sinking ship???"
    After owning an Android device for 2 months, I spent a fair amount of money in the market. Yes their not all 'fart apps'. It's a global term for pointless garbage apps that flood the market due to Google's complete lack of quality control.

And even apps that have a somewhat practical use ultimately suck in features, design and usability.
    But use whatever you want on your TouchPad, just wish PreCentral had a separate forum for you Android people to buzz off to.
    Last edited by PainToad; 09/19/2011 at 05:00 PM.
    If you have Google Reader App, Email, Calendar, eBook, Comic Reader and Browser, what else do youactually need?
    Well let's just look at those.

Google Reader: no offline reading, users noting that it's 'buggy in portrait' and 'mark unread' is hit and miss.

Email: Excellent.

Calendar: Pretty good.

eBook: pReader is coming along, but Kindle app is US only without techy intervention, and both lack features common on other platforms.

Comic Reader: good, I hear, but my purchases are mostly in Comixology, which just about works using the browser but is nowhere as slick as the native apps on other platforms.

Browser: OK, but it could be so much better.

We've then got a pdf reader that's barely functional, and, without editing the source, is fuzzy when zoomed in.

The Touchpad is a delightful experience but to deny that core apps could be better is disingenuous.

With dual boot into ICS I wouldn't be bouncing back and forth to optimise the experience every time, both webOS and Android are fine for general use, but if I had a specific task where I wanted the best experience it would be great to be able to switch the device over.

I suspect that I would be in webOS most of the time, because of the email integration and fun UI, but would switch across if I wanted to read a long pdf or go onto Comixology.
    DeadVim likes this.
    You could always self censor and just not read the threads that very clearly are about android? Is that so hard to do? With all your important things going on in your life, I know skimming a thread name might seem like a waste of time...however, since you have so much time to spend trolling this thread, I think you might have the spare time.

With any market there are going to be a good number of crappy apps, especially when that market grows into the hundreds of thousands. However, the TOP APPS are usually quality apps (though there are some there that are trivial and/or crap), and are the apps that most people download (which is why they are at the top, obviously). You are dismissing the entire market by saying, "Who needs 1000 fart apps?!?"

The community performs the quality control, as it should be. Good apps float to the top, and bad apps litter the bottom. Maybe when you tire of hearing people ask you what your Words with Friends ID is, you'll buzz off to those forums too ... and guess what, you are already in the separate PreCentral forum for Android talk
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    and guess what, you are already in the separate PreCentral forum for Android talk
    Mod moved it. Bye.
    Toodles

No matter how you slice it, there are things that natively work in android that are likely never going to work in webOS. Let me give a few examples of things i do on a day to day basis that will work better with android than webOS.

1) Native Gmail client supports whole mailbox searches. WebOS mail only searches currently downloaded mail which for my inbox translates to about 150 messages.
    2) Bluetooth file transfer. I can take a picture with my android phone and push it to a capable receiver.
    3) EyeFi. Same concept as 2, for my good camera.
    4) SwiftKeyX is simply the smartest OSK on the planet. It makes typing on screen almost as nice as a hardware keyboard.
    5) Bluetooth controller support. The Touchpad would make a great portable gaming (Snes9x, mame) system, but its bluetooth stack wont support gaming controllers like the Wiimote.
    6) Flixster
    I would like dual boot because at some point I will be on developing on Android. That OS is soo ugly it hurts though. Oh and I might use it for Netflix every now and then.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast