Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
  1.    #1  
    There are a few things here that are just baffling to me.

1: Why on Earth would you seriously want Android on the Touchpad? Especially baffling is why people paid, err I mean donated, money to get it done. It's not even Honeycomb, it's Gingerbread.

2: Why all the media attention? Why didn't any of these people cover the Touchpad when it still had life? They covered it once when it launched and gave it bad reviews, and no more. They didn't cover the OTA update which vastly improved things, but they're giving a play-by-play on getting Android on the Touchpad. To that, I say: (edit, I hope the nannies are OK with "worse than failure" then)

3: Another to the Android homebrew "community". They're as fragmented as their platform. Name-calling on Twitter? Seriously guys? I thought we were all adults here. I guess Team Touchdroid must have been just a bunch of script kiddies copying the real work.

Anyway, here's the link:
    TouchDroid team disbands as CyanogenMod preps Android for the HP TouchPad - Liliputing
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 09/08/2011 at 06:00 PM.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Honestly because a lot of people though this was a cheap way to get a android tablet via dual boot and if didn't happen, you still have a cheap basically functionally tablet.

I can live with a gingerbread port as a dual boot as long as I could get access to a couple of apps (decent PDF reader, Evernote, better browser). I wouldn't buy a android tablet but if I can get access to those features via the touchpad - why not?
    @ #3 - you're being a bit hypocritical there buddy.

To your other points...I agree completely. I would LOVE to have Android apps on my webOS device(s), but they can keep their Android OS.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    It does appear that there's a nearly complete version available though:

touch-droid.com forum • View topic - Semi-working build of 2.3.5 on the HP TouchPad

It says the only thing not working is Wifi. I personally have no interest in this, but maybe others will.
    don't blame the media, blame HP management and public relations (or lack there of). the media has to cover the things that people want to hear about. If HP wanted a big deal to be made out of the update they should have made it a big deal (or launched with 3.0.2 to being with).

HP should have better handled their webos hardware "announcement" and now are dealing with uncertainty and misinformation. This resulted in people looking for ways to extend the life of their touchpad as webOS "dies". HP has to this day failed to make statements that would convince a touchpad owner unfamilliar with webOS that they shouldn't move towards android.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 09/08/2011 at 05:52 PM.
    to whom did the donated touchpads go to?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I can think of so many reasons why someone would want android on the touchpad. For one android has tons of great apps. Want an ereader that actually works well? Tons to chose from. How about the ability to playback all video files? Need to play some great cross platform games like scrabble and words with friends? Android has that covered. How about various fully functional browsers to chose from? How about apps that don't lag? You really need to think outside the box a little.
    Apps are the only reason to pick Android over webOS (imo), and that's only for people who don't know what they actually want. Personally, webOS has the apps that I NEED and a lot of the ones I want.

As far as the OS goes, that's also subjectional. I hate how Android looks and behaves, and the same goes for iOS as well.
    I realize that everyone has their preferences though.
  8.    #8  
    There are a lot of $100 tablets that run Gingerbread out there though, why try to hack it onto the Touchpad?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    khazoury and sara.ramli like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    There are a lot of $100 tablets that run Gingerbread out there though, why try to hack it onto the Touchpad?
    Nobody really wants a $100 tablet. Lots of people want a $400 tablet for $100, though...

--John
    Because the hardware in the average sub-$200 Android tablet is trash.
    cgk, sorli, k4ever and 2 others like this.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Leaving aside the fact that those $100 tablets are junk, because people want something for never and the idea of hacking it onto a device that originally cost $500. At a firesale price , if that never happens well you are still left with a fully functional tablet that the manufacturer promises to support over the next year.

Hell for what I paid for my touchpad, if I only used it for internet radio, a photo viewer and angrybirds it would still be a good purchase. Anything on top is a bonus.

1: Why on Earth would you seriously want Android on the Touchpad? Especially baffling is why people paid, err I mean donated, money to get it done. It's not even Honeycomb, it's Gingerbread.

Anyway, here's the link:
    TouchDroid team disbands as CyanogenMod preps Android for the HP TouchPad - Liliputing
    Honeycomb is just a step. ICS is the destination.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    when is the source out for that? Next month?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    when is the source out for that? Next month?

Android Ice Cream Sandwich release by November - Telegraph
    newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post
    Apps are the only reason to pick Android over webOS (imo)
    That and an OS(Android) that will continue to be supported. If you believe webOS will continue to be supported I feel sorry for you.

webOS has terminal cancer and is in a hospice right now. No amount of begging, pleading and protesting will change the inevitable. People can live in denial but the rest of us are making plans.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I've also been checking the rootzwiki site just out of curiosity to see the progress. And its really comical to see these kids flame each other over childish things. If you want a good laugh and have free time, give it a go. And be thankful your on a much more mature site with users and devs that actually want to help you and see webOS grow.

Post 2, 5, 10, 11, 12, 17 pretty much covered that question. As a you are a developer it's shocking that you can't see why people would want to maximize potential of a device they purchased.

2: Why all the media attention? Why didn't any of these people cover the Touchpad when it still had life? They covered it once when it launched and gave it bad reviews, and no more. They didn't cover the OTA update which vastly improved things, but they're giving a play-by-play on getting Android on the Touchpad. To that, I say: (edit, I hope the nannies are OK with "worse than failure" then)
    I will address the sentence in red, the previous questions should be self evident by now.

The media didn't cover in much fanfare the Touchpad OTA because it was a non event. Only people with a buggy device would be interested, and since there were not many of those at the time, why would you expect major news coverage.
    How many new features were added as opposed to fixing the flaws to bring the device to "normal"?
    There is an OTA that's coming down the pipe from a certain company which will get much press. There are couple of reason why this is, but one is: It's a meaningful OTA update with real customer value. It's not just a bug fix. The Touchpad OTA was just HP spraying a can of Raid. Nobody covers roach kills.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 09/08/2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Just putting it out there, those $100 chinese android tablets while crappy hardware, aren't badly manufactured and work fine...they are quite nice for browsing the web in bed or playing videos on the go. For $100 that is.
    chalx likes this.
    I love WebOS but it's going to be dead soon, as dead as the excellent BeOS and even OS/2 before it.
    Unless HP turns over the ownership of webOS to the folks at webOS-internals or makes it completely open source, it will cease to evolve and exist sooner rather than later.

I for one will enjoy the webOS experience while I can, but will in all likelihood run Android on my Touchpad. It's great hardware especially for the price.

I'm glad I own one, and I certainly won't throw it away because the WebOS software on it has been abandoned, I'll repurpose it with Android, or Windows 8 when that time comes.

It's fantastic that we love webOS here on the site, but the animosity toward any other platform is as childish as the Team Touchdroid squabbles.
    nappy, DeadVim, cgk and 2 others like this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast