Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
    Eh it's like I said, this is just my opinion. I think of things I buy not just in terms of price and perceived value but actual value, cost relevance, opportunity costs and whether I value the company I give my money to.

Why would I buy something I didn't really want if it could have gone to someone that does want it? Or if I could have saved that money? Etc but that's really going off topic lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    But in the meantime, they have to use webOS, a platform that has significant and shocking problems, especially if you're not used to using it. What I'm seeing is a lot of people have reasonable expectations (a PDF reader that renders pages properly and allows for easy navigation, a competent web browser, etc.) and it's not unreasonable for them to complain when these expectations aren't met.
    I think you may be missing the point of the post you quoted. WebOS users have been requesting these reasonable features, acknowledging what it lacks, etc even though it is not upon us users to take responsibility or hold acknowledgment for something we had no hand in creating.

I'm just saying there are ways to voice your opinion, offer criticism and contribute to this community without being a whiny baby
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I think you may be missing the point of the post you quoted. WebOS users have been requesting these reasonable features, acknowledging what it lacks, etc even though it is not upon us users to take responsibility or hold acknowledgment for something we had no hand in creating.

I'm just saying there are ways to voice your opinion, offer criticism and contribute to this community without being a whiny baby
    No, I hear you. I just think these are all issues that we, as webOS users, are aware of and have found workarounds for. But the TouchPad clearance has brought on so many new webOS users and many of them are discovering the warts and blemishes for the first time. That's why they sound so vocal.
    chalx, larsoncc and DeadVim like this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I was in bestbuy today and I don't see why anyone would say that honeycomb is bad. Sure it was a quick job for the Motorola zoom which will be solved with ICS but imo it functions a hell of a lot better than WebOS and looks much nicer. WebOS is really plain looking and needs a face lift yet I hear people on this forum saying Android is Ugly.

Applications opened instantly and browsing was smooth. There were tons of applications and multitasking works fine by pressing that one button to bring up all the apps. Much faster than shuffling through cards until you get that too many cards error. The best tablet imo is the Asus EEE pad for $400.00 you get hdmi out and an onboard mini sd slot. No wonder no one bought the touchpad.

I am really tempted to purchase one so I can read my text books (something I assumed the TP could do) in class but holding out to see if an Android port for the TP is released soon.

I saw an HP rep in bestbuy today and asked him what happened to the tablet. He said they stopped making them because no one was buying them.
    No, I hear you. I just think these are all issues that we, as webOS users, are aware of and have found workarounds for. But the TouchPad clearance has brought on so many new webOS users and many of them are discovering the warts and blemishes for the first time. That's why they sound so vocal.
    Yeah probably. In that sense I am looking forward to the Android port because while I love webOS, I will have the option to use a second choice if webOS doesn't provide to all my tablet needs.

We desperately need a better office suite, more browser options, RDP client, netflix, yadda yadda
    DeadVim likes this.
    Man, you are right, all TouchPad users are indeed webOS users. At last, webOS did multiplied it's user-base. Now we have bunch of new users, but unsatisfied. How ironical.
    WebOS is a great OS, I really like it, but the app support is pretty bad. A lot of times, there are TouchPad apps to do certain things... but they're just vastly inferior.

For example, eBooks and PDFs. Sideloading books into the Kindle app is a massive pain in the ***. The only other ebook reader is "pReader", which is really sluggish and bad compared to iOS and Android apps. PDF... neither pReader nor Kindle supports PDF. The only reader is the Adobe app... which is extremely bad for all but the most simple light PDFs.

The browser itself is missing several KEY features. Homebrew patches have addressed some of this, but it's still an extremely inferior browser. Between Android and iOS, we have the Safari Browser, Opera Mobile, Android browser, Firefox mobile, that Dolphin browser... almost all of them are more feature complete then the TP browser.

I pretty much stopped using the FB app and started going straight into the browser, because of how sluggish and laggy the (slick looking) FB app, to say nothing of the missing features in the app.

Android has better versions of 90% of the apps in the HP WebOS store. It's not a mystery to me why some people are clamoring for Android even though WebOS is a great OS. it's an apps issue.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Thing is, webOS is not great OS and that is why apps are performing poorly. WebOS is good looking OS that was needing so little to be good, mostly execs with sense for performance, but guys in charge thought it needed TTS.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Forced? It's hard to feel sorry for consumers who buy a webOS device and then complain it's not Android. Even worse on a webOS forum! It's actually quite rude. I might not care for Android, but I don't sign up on their forum and then complain about how much I don't like it and wish it wish I could have webOS ported over. It's ludicrous.

If new users are truly looking for an Android port, then I am sure there are plenty of neutral forums dedicated to that type of discussion. The constant negativity towards webOS from some new users in ‘THIS’ forum is in bad taste.
    You are most definitely right my friend
    What in the world are those people doing here are they
    I do like android a little, at least I think I do
    Anyway, I'm not trolling their forums or any forums for that matter
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I was once a Palm Pre owner and a die hard fan until I gave up and saw that WebOS wasn't going anywhere. Looks like I was right.

Also this is Other Tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    There are a lot of $100 tablets that run Gingerbread out there though, why try to hack it onto the Touchpad?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hmmm, better hardware maybe?
  12. Cha
    All I want is an N64 emulator and a video player that supports subtitles. Give me that and I'm happy. Android has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    I wouldn't say it's my beef at all. Plenty of webOS users on this site have complained about it. I'm not knocking people for wanting Android, it has nothing to do with Android really. Like you said, it is slightly off topic but no less relevant. My problem are the baiters and trolls, the whiners, the ******* from both camps. I come here for the webOS community and support, not all the other crap that has taken over these forums.
    this is the post you responded to.

"there is not a $99 device with that level of hardware i guess. Looking on amazon.com's tablet section there is no $99 new tablet of any kind. Most of the devices anywhere close to $100 have smaller screens too. Clearly just like a great number of people they didn't want a webos tablet they wanted a $99 tablet. " http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...ml#post3143900
    and your response you claim is about trolls that bought a webos tablet in order to put android on it then come to precentral to complain about how bad webos is.

NOTHING in that post, in my earlier post or in the original post relates to forum trolling. NOTHING!
    and you are respond to my post about prices with a post about how people come to forums and complain about webos. Your comments were just irrelevant to my post and all my comments relate to the original posters question of why buy a touchpad and put android on it. that's my point. no clue why you respond to my post if your issues is about forum behavior when i wasn't discussing it. i'm not saying you're wrong to not like that behavior. But it doesn't relate to my points.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/10/2011 at 02:54 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by metr0man View Post
    WebOS is a great OS, I really like it, but the app support is pretty bad. A lot of times, there are TouchPad apps to do certain things... but they're just vastly inferior.

For example, eBooks and PDFs. Sideloading books into the Kindle app is a massive pain in the ***. The only other ebook reader is "pReader", which is really sluggish and bad compared to iOS and Android apps. PDF... neither pReader nor Kindle supports PDF. The only reader is the Adobe app... which is extremely bad for all but the most simple light PDFs.

The browser itself is missing several KEY features. Homebrew patches have addressed some of this, but it's still an extremely inferior browser. Between Android and iOS, we have the Safari Browser, Opera Mobile, Android browser, Firefox mobile, that Dolphin browser... almost all of them are more feature complete then the TP browser.

I pretty much stopped using the FB app and started going straight into the browser, because of how sluggish and laggy the (slick looking) FB app, to say nothing of the missing features in the app.

Android has better versions of 90% of the apps in the HP WebOS store. It's not a mystery to me why some people are clamoring for Android even though WebOS is a great OS. it's an apps issue.
    did you try ubuntu? Chromium works great, I've used xournal to annotate PDFs by hand, pretty cool. Libreoffice works fine. I imagine one of these or something else can be used for ebooks, ask in the thread.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Ubuntu? The hoops you have to jump through on a webOS tablet. Now the Slogan "works like nothing else" makes sense. You ave to turn off logging, preware to overclock, install patches, run ubuntu, etc etc. And you wonder why this product failed? What happened to a product that works out the box?
    sinsin07 and DeadVim like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tannim View Post
    Sorry to hear they failed so fast but others will take their place or already have.

We're getting away from the topic of this post, but hey, why not?

I like WebOS. I like Android 2.2 Uberoid that I put on my el cheapo nameless generic android tablet. WebOS has the better interface, android currently has better applications(especially if you write, QuickOffice for the lose in its current state). ...

For the touchpad itself, lack of any real USB port is its true downfall for me, there's plenty of space inside it to stick a USB port or card slot. Even my El Cheapo has two(through an adapter card thing. So handy to have a usb keyboard I can plug in.
    Thank you for expressing what has always seemed so obvious to me. Even the "dead" PalmOS has way better apps for people using tablets as work tools and not toys ~ rather than porting the A-factor I'd rather see someone port Classic (yes, I know, there are "legal" and liscening issues, I still wish it would happen). I own a liscense for Classic but with MotionApps ending all support I don't know if I'd be able to "unlock" it even it could port to the TouchPad.

I have a "rooted" Nook Color and dual boot is a nusiance ~ Classic loaded on a card would be much better.

IF the Touchpad could run Classic AND had either a card reader or a usb port (ideally both) it would be an awsome buy at the e-bay $250 price (and obviousily a killer buy @ $99). Othewise though, I'd rather spend $200 -$300 more and get something that really works.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Just what everyone is waiting for. Running old 8 bit apps that has not been updated in ages and look like they were made for Windows 3.1 on their touchpad. What is thing about WebOS having a better UI? I don't see it at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cha View Post
    All I want is an N64 emulator and a video player that supports subtitles. Give me that and I'm happy. Android has them.
    Ill swap your touchpad for a real brand new in the box Nintendo 64 in my loft, and a DVD player that plays subtitles

I am of course joking even though I do have the above items in the loft

To me having a Touchpad at the sale price was a no brainer

I estimate personally that its worth about 200 UK pounds (probably around 250 dollars thereabouts)

certainly no more and the lower that price the better value it became

As said before I will try Android but probably will stay with WebOS as I quite like it and I've now just got a Pre 3 because of the Touchpad and I have a Samsung Galaxy S and Nokia N900 and at the moment I prefer the Touchpad and Pre 3
    Ref. the Classic app for running PalmOS software in the webOS environment:
    Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    Just what everyone is waiting for. Running old 8 bit apps that has not been updated in ages and look like they were made for Windows 3.1 on their touchpad.
    Everyone is not waiting for it, but I would surmise many are, especially considering that the thread on the forum regarding people desperate to get Classic to work after webOS version 2.0 and higher is up to 15 pages and 284 posts http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...2-0-above.html

The fact is that many of these legacy programs don't really need updates for functionality ~ they tend to be very mature (read bug free here) and feature rich, as compared to their ios, win, and android versions, and they are not available in a webOS version (otherwise we'd use that instead).

Classic made a nice "bridge" (especially for early adopter PDA users who have relied on these devices for work for a long time) until webOS caught up on the development of productivity apps.

Also there is a not insignificant number of proprietary PalmOS software, especaially for medical and scientific applications, for which there is yet no real equivalent replacement on the other platforms. From other forums I surmise that these still have many users looking for hardware to run them on.

Given webOS's market position one would think HP would have found it beneficial to reach out to as broad of a market base as possible. The fact that if Classic were included it could run applications to perform functions that no other current device or OS could would be another slice of the market attracted to it rather than the other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by jamex View Post
    What is thing about WebOS having a better UI? I don't see it at all.
    One has to wonder if the writer has actaully ever used a webOS device. While my only experience with the Touchpad has been on store demo units I've used a Palm Pre (with Classic) for a year and a half, both as a communications and a data management device. Having started my digital experience with DOS on the desktop and PalmOS 1.0.4 on the handheld I must say webOS is the most remarkable user experience I've ever used.

There are some other technical advantages to webOS I'm sure, but in a word: cards. The multiltasking ability of webOS is incredible and now that I am (for the moment) compelled to use an Evo4G and a "rooted" Nook Color tablet, I am sorely missing them. If I could have Classic available for the purpose of having (in the webOS multitasking environment) some mission critical apps not yet available in webOS I'd switch back in a heart beat.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    I have used a Palm Pre for over a year and there is nothing special about the WebOS UI. It is bland and barely has any customizing options. You get 4 or 5 icons on a home screen and that's it. With Android I can have multiple home screens and add as many shortcuts, widgets, various folders etc so I can have quick access to what I need. I can see a twitter post on the home screen so there is no need to launch anything.

The cards multitasking is OK but I also find it a bit annoying or I should say lacking. Opening web links opens new cards until you get that dreaded too many card error which I also got with nothing open. That proves that the WebOS memory management is buggy. I also didn't like having to keep cards open for an app to continue running.

The UI is extremely laggy to the point that people have to overclock it from 1.2GHZ and it is still laggy after doing so.

I think the Android UI looks fantastic and so do many of the apps. It runs smooth and loads things quickly while you have to wait 10 seconds to open a pdf app with barely any functions on WebOS. The majority of WebOS apps are so poorly designed and lack polish. Many of them would be laughed at if they were on Android.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast