Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    there is not a $99 device with that level of hardware i guess. Looking on amazon.com's tablet section there is no $99 new tablet of any kind. Most of the devices anywhere close to $100 have smaller screens too. Clearly just like a great number of people they didn't want a webos tablet they wanted a $99 tablet.
    I get it that people want to put Android on the TP. Heck I'm all for it, the more options the better which I can say because I am not a crazy fan-girl. But why buy a product running an OS you don't like, go to a site dedicated to that OS (note: people here like webOS not necessarily the TP) where you act unhelpful and snarky, then complain about the aforementioned OS (which no one forced them to buy) and get defensive when other users get fed up with it all?

I honestly find it baffling because people were complaining about the TP hardware but I guess at $100, it is somehow less "sucky hardware" than it was at $500; which is not true at all because it's the same hardware and people are just being cheap.

There are plenty of Android tablets at the $100-$250 stage, running Gingerbread already. It would probably be easier to hack those to run Honeycomb because there are less drivers needed to add.
    I am, therefore I think
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Show me a nice android tablet for $100. People got the tp because it was cheap and HP paid us to get it. The device it is with a lit than $100 so they paid us.
    I'm not sure what the last sentence of your post says. If you're addressing me, I never said that $100 Android tablets are nice, even though that would be subjective for each user; I just said that they exist and readily available.

My criticism lies in that people buy a product running software they don't like and proceed to complain about it on the forums that consist of people who do like the software and are trying to better it for themselves. If someone really valued Android on a tablet, they'd purchase an Android tablet. But instead these people wanted a deal (which I don't fault them for), got a deal and complain about it constantly while contributing very little to the forums in general.
    I am, therefore I think
    sara.ramli likes this.
    I can think of so many reasons why someone would want android on the touchpad. For one android has tons of great apps. Want an ereader that actually works well? Tons to chose from. How about the ability to playback all video files? Need to play some great cross platform games like scrabble and words with friends? Android has that covered. How about various fully functional browsers to chose from? How about apps that don't lag? You really need to think outside the box a little.
    They could always buy an Android tablet, some are actually cost less than $200. Makes no sense to me to put Android on a Touchpad, yuck!
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    So then buy an Android device, no?
    I did. I just happened to have some other OS preloaded on it...

Should be fixed soon enough though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikestorm View Post
    I did. I just happened to have some other OS preloaded on it...

Should be fixed soon enough though.

Lol...

I think webos is much better at this point, but there are some things (apps) that i miss..would be nice to dual boot...would even nicer if MIUI was ported...that would be sick on TP
    Send me a link to a good android tablet for $200. If I could find something like the galaxy tab for $200 I would buy it. I really had no interest in tablets andreally only good the touchpad since theybwere giving them out. The majority of the people got it just because of the price not because of Webos or android . I didn't even think about android when i got it but since they are doing it I'm happy since ill get to do a lot more with it as a result. As it is right now I don't even use it.
    That just proves my point. Before people were complaining about the hardware but now it is on Galaxy Tab level??? That makes no sense. Either people think it's a valuable product or they don't. Personally, I think only an ***** buys "junk" at a cheap price just for because it was cheap; especially if it's something you didn't even consider buying previous to the price drop.

Now I may be encroaching on preaching territories but why buy something you didn't really want or need and then not use it or proceed to complain about it? I just don't get it; I guess people just like to spend money.
    I am, therefore I think
    I get it that people want to put Android on the TP. Heck I'm all for it, the more options the better which I can say because I am not a crazy fan-girl. But why buy a product running an OS you don't like, go to a site dedicated to that OS (note: people here like webOS not necessarily the TP) where you act unhelpful and snarky, then complain about the aforementioned OS (which no one forced them to buy) and get defensive when other users get fed up with it all?
    In their defense, TouchPad owners are forced to use webOS until a working Android port is released. That's probably why they're here complaining about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    In their defense, TouchPad owners are forced to use webOS until a working Android port is released. That's probably why they're here complaining about it.
    True except they are not being forced to do anything. They made the decision to purchase the device so complaining about the lack of features compared to what will be available via a successful android port doesn't hold much merit.

Like I said, I'm all for having options. Personally I'm hoping for a dual-boot option of Honeycomb. But overall, I still prefer webOS in terms of how the UX and UI though I am relying on the Homebrew community more so than HP to make meaningful improvements, which in itself is quite sad. Once again, all my opinion.

What really just annoys me about all the complainers is the clutter it creates in the forums and the extra time spent bickering rather than working together to find helpful solutions. I have my share of criticism and complaints but I don't attack people or make blatantly snarky comments to get my point across.
    I am, therefore I think
    That just proves my point. Before people were complaining about the hardware but now it is on Galaxy Tab level??? That makes no sense. Either people think it's a valuable product or they don't. Personally, I think only an ***** buys "junk" at a cheap price just for because it was cheap; especially if it's something you didn't even consider buying previous to the price drop.
    For $500, it was not a valuable product. For $99, it is a valuable product. People were complaining about the hardware because you expect more for $500. People are excited about the hardware now because it's more than you could've ever gotten before for $99.

I fail to see why that is so confusing. The value wasn't there at $500, but it is there at $99. The closest thing to it value-wise is the Viewsonic gTablet at about $249, but the screen on that puppy is terrible.
    sinsin07 and DeadVim like this.
    People were complaining about the hardware because the TouchPad had shockingly poor build quality and an uninspired design at the $499 price point. A $99 price tag excuses a lot of things.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I see nothing that wrong with the hardware. A little thick but it is ok. The major problem imo is Webos with the lack of functions and apps. It is also slow and buggy.
    What you have to understand is that the majority of the members on this site care more about webOS than the TouchPad necessarily. Sure most really like the device for its own merits but mainly because the idea of webOS on a tablet appeals to us. Hence all the friction. The more reasonable members wont attack new users for wanting Android or asking questions.But at the same time, we're here for webOS and many others are not.
    I am, therefore I think
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    For $500, it was not a valuable product. For $99, it is a valuable product. People were complaining about the hardware because you expect more for $500. People are excited about the hardware now because it's more than you could've ever gotten before for $99.

I fail to see why that is so confusing. The value wasn't there at $500, but it is there at $99. The closest thing to it value-wise is the Viewsonic gTablet at about $249, but the screen on that puppy is terrible.
    It's like I said, people just like to spend money. If there is a product out there, I'm not interested in purchasing, that is priced higher than what I perceive the value to be I still wouldn't buy it at a 99% markdown.

I don't like iPods, except the iPod Touch 4th gen slightly less so. I think their value as PMPs is overrated. If an iPod was $5, I still wouldn't buy it; just because it's a good deal doesn't mean the product somehow becomes meaningful or more useful to me than it would have been at full price.

But I digress, I don't understand the buying behaviors of most consumers. Oh the life of a marketing major...lol
    Last edited by clayclay350; 09/09/2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: forget the % sign
    I am, therefore I think
    It's like I said, people just like to spend money. If there is a product out there, I'm not interested in purchasing, that is priced higher than what I perceive the value to be I still wouldn't buy it at a 99% markdown.
    Well no, if you had no interest in a tablet, no need for one, then buying it would not make sense. But if you were in the market for one and felt the prices were just too high, and one suddenly dropped down to $99, with good but not great specs, you'd be silly not to give it a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Well no, if you had no interest in a tablet, no need for one, then buying it would not make sense. But if you were in the market for one and felt the prices were just too high, and one suddenly dropped down to $99, with good but not great specs, you'd be silly not to give it a shot.
    I don't think it would be silly at all to not buy it. It's like I said in my iPod example, if iPods were to go on sale for $5 I would still buy a similar product at its regular price because the perceived value of a $5 iPod is not more important to me than the actual value of having a quality PMP.
    I am, therefore I think
    I get it that people want to put Android on the TP. Heck I'm all for it,
    The post i responded to asked why anyone would want android on a touchpad. If you understand why people want it then i don't understand your objection to my post.

But why buy a product running an OS you don't like, go to a site dedicated to that OS (note: people here like webOS not necessarily the TP) where you act unhelpful and snarky, then complain about the aforementioned OS (which no one forced them to buy) and get defensive when other users get fed up with it all?
    None of what you mentioned is relevant or mentioned in the post i responded to. He simply said he doesn't understand why people would want android on a touchpad. He never mentioned this series of events you do: buying an os to swap out another os, then coming to a website to make snarky comments, then complain about that os. Nor did my comment relate to that series of events.

you're railing against a situation that may exist but that is not going on in this thread and is not mentioned in my comment or the comment i was responding to.

I honestly find it baffling because people were complaining about the TP hardware but I guess at $100, it is somehow less "sucky hardware" than it was at $500; which is not true at all because it's the same hardware and people are just being cheap.
    you fail to understand the concept of value. At one million dollars a honda accord is overpriced and the hardware is not up to par for a million dollar car. You'd expect Bugatti Veyron specs: 1000 horsepower, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, top speed of 250 mph, etc. But if a honda accord is $5000 it is an exceptional value and better hardware then any car you could possibly get for $5000.

There are plenty of Android tablets at the $100-$250 stage, running Gingerbread already. It would probably be easier to hack those to run Honeycomb because there are less drivers needed to add.
    can you link me to one that has the same specs as the touchpad for $99. i'm not saying they don't exist. But i don't know of any. Regardless it's gotta be the same price. $250 vs $99 is a massive difference.

My criticism lies in that people buy a product running software they don't like and proceed to complain about it on the forums that consist of people who do like the software and are trying to better it for themselves.
    again. who in this thread did that. And you responded to my post specifically. The original post doesn't even mention that situation. Seems to me that you just picked this thread to voice you're disapproval of people doing that. But that wasn't mentioned by the original posts. The original post was about not understanding why people switch the O.S. a circumstance you above said you understand saying, "I get it that people want to put Android on the TP. Heck I'm all for it." But the original post does not touch on complaining on forums and people coming to forums that consist of people who like the software. You just added that part and that's your beef. but that part is not really part of the original topic.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/09/2011 at 04:49 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Forced? It's hard to feel sorry for consumers who buy a webOS device and then complain it's not Android. Even worse on a webOS forum! It's actually quite rude. I might not care for Android, but I don't sign up on their forum and then complain about how much I don't like it and wish it wish I could have webOS ported over. It's ludicrous.

If new users are truly looking for an Android port, then I am sure there are plenty of neutral forums dedicated to that type of discussion. The constant negativity towards webOS from some new users in ‘THIS’ forum is in bad taste.
    sara.ramli likes this.
    My understanding is that the Blackberry PlayBook has the ability to run Android apps, yet runs its own OS. Is that accurate?

If a developer were to make a player of Android apps within WebOS, I'm betting I'd use that. I'd pay for that, even. Heck, I'd pay for more robust document editing.

I'd still run dual boot, because I love tinkering, but I do like WebOS. It's just fine. If I could get a 2nd browser, many of my OS issues would go away (an Android player would provide that).

Any chance a dev would put a player together before Android dual-boot? It seems like a harder task... and dual boot accomplishes a nice set of goals.

It also doesn't eliminate WebOS. So that's nice.

If you're angry about people loading another OS... develop something to make them stay, I guess. *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    The post i responded to asked why anyone would want android on a touchpad. If you understand why people want it then i don't understand your objection to my post.

None of what you mentioned is relevant or mentioned in the post i responded to. He simply said he doesn't understand why people would want android on a touchpad. He never mentioned this series of events you do: buying an os to swap out another os, then coming to a website to make snarky comments, then complain about that os. Nor did my comment relate to that series of events.

you're railing against a situation that may exist but that is not going on in this thread and is not mentioned in my comment or the comment i was responding to.

you fail to understand the concept of value. At one million dollars a honda accord is overpriced and the hardware is not up to par for a million dollar car. You'd expect Bugatti Veyron specs: 1000 horsepower, 0-60 in 2.5 seconds, top speed of 250 mph, etc. But if a honda accord is $5000 it is an exceptional value and better hardware then any car you could possibly get for $5000.

can you link me to one that has the same specs as the touchpad for $99. i'm not saying they don't exist. But i don't know of any. Regardless it's gotta be the same price. $250 vs $99 is a massive difference.

again. who in this thread did that. And you responded to my post specifically. The original post doesn't even mention that situation. Seems to me that you just picked this thread to voice you're disapproval of people doing that. But that wasn't mentioned by the original posts. The original post was about not understanding why people switch the O.S. a circumstance you above said you understand saying, "I get it that people want to put Android on the TP. Heck I'm all for it." But the original post does not touch on complaining on forums and people coming to forums that consist of people who like the software. You just added that part and that's your beef. but that part is not really part of the original topic.
    I wouldn't say it's my beef at all. Plenty of webOS users on this site have complained about it. I'm not knocking people for wanting Android, it has nothing to do with Android really. Like you said, it is slightly off topic but no less relevant. My problem are the baiters and trolls, the whiners, the ******* from both camps. I come here for the webOS community and support, not all the other crap that has taken over these forums.
    I don't think it would be silly at all to not buy it. It's like I said in my iPod example, if iPods were to go on sale for $5 I would still buy a similar product at its regular price because the perceived value of a $5 iPod is not more important to me than the actual value of having a quality PMP.
    Well I still think it'd be silly not to buy that iPod if the compromises you'd make using it are worth the $200 savings. Buy the $5 iPod, and if the missing features bother you, use it and save for something better. You can still listen to music, watch videos, take photos, play games, etc. on it even if it's not the perfect device for you.

Some people find webOS limiting, but at $99, those limitations are easy overlooked. It's all about value, and at $99, the TouchPad is a tremendous value. At $500, it was a little silly.
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Forced? It's hard to feel sorry for consumers who buy a webOS device and then complain it's not Android. Even worse on a webOS forum! It's actually quite rude. I might not care for Android, but I don't sign up on their forum and then complain about how much I don't like it and wish it wish I could have webOS ported over. It's ludicrous.

If new users are truly looking for an Android port, then I am sure there are plenty of neutral forums dedicated to that type of discussion. The constant negativity towards webOS from some new users in ‘THIS’ forum is in bad taste.
    But in the meantime, they have to use webOS, a platform that has significant and shocking problems, especially if you're not used to using it. What I'm seeing is a lot of people have reasonable expectations (a PDF reader that renders pages properly and allows for easy navigation, a competent web browser, etc.) and it's not unreasonable for them to complain when these expectations aren't met.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast