Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes
    honestly? Because the hardware is similar to a lot of other android devices and webOS won't last 15 months without new hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
    I love WebOS but it's going to be dead soon, as dead as the excellent BeOS and even OS/2 before it.
    Unless HP turns over the ownership of webOS to the folks at webOS-internals or makes it completely open source, it will cease to evolve and exist sooner rather than later.

I for one will enjoy the webOS experience while I can, but will in all likelihood run Android on my Touchpad. It's great hardware especially for the price.

I'm glad I own one, and I certainly won't throw it away because the WebOS software on it has been abandoned, I'll repurpose it with Android, or Windows 8 when that time comes.

It's fantastic that we love webOS here on the site, but the animosity toward any other platform is as childish as the Team Touchdroid squabbles.
    To me WebOS and the the Touchpad is Nokia's Maemo and N900 phone

It is and never will and never would have been any more than what it is with mostly community support

HP are keeping the software people they haven't been fired / sacked /made redundant etc

As much as people want Android on the TP I think when they do put it on there will only be a small amount of users who will keep it and use it permanently as like the N900 running NitDroid those who run it permamanently end up going buying a real Android device

I will try Android when a more stable working build is released but I'm really liking WebOs despite its flaws

I got my Tablet in the Firesale to put Android on it BUT I use it for surfing, playing the odd angry birds game a bit of movies and music etc and if the entire WebOS team suddenly got amnesia and and could never code WebOS again the Touchpad will still do what it was marketed and sold to do for the next few years
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    I've also been checking the rootzwiki site just out of curiosity to see the progress. And its really comical to see these kids flame each other over childish things. If you want a good laugh and have free time, give it a go. And be thankful your on a much more mature site with users and devs that actually want to help you and see webOS grow.
    This is what happens when you give a bunch of nerds a little bit of power. Chaos ensues. They don't know how to work together, so they destroy themselves internally.
    jamesking likes this.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubskey View Post
    I've also been checking the rootzwiki site just out of curiosity to see the progress. And its really comical to see these kids flame each other over childish things. If you want a good laugh and have free time, give it a go. And be thankful your on a much more mature site with users and devs that actually want to help you and see webOS grow.
    I am a newcomer to both sites. I have very little experience of webOS (which I like) and none of Android (which I have heard a lot about but not experienced).

I plan on giving the Dual Boot a go because:

a) I own the hardware, I can do what I want with it

b) It's good to experience different things (I am a software engineer with 20 years commercial experience, I like learning new stuff, it keeps me fresh)

c) I might actually learn something if I give some 'forbidden fruit' a taste.

Which site is more 'mature' in my eyes only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    This is what happens when you give a bunch of nerds a little bit of power. Chaos ensues. They don't know how to work together, so they destroy themselves internally.
    To blanket all the developers as 'nerds' is short-sighted assuming this is meant in a derogatory manner (I can't see how it cannot be in this context).

Some members of the TouchDroid team did bad, some members were, no doubt, honestly working towards the good of the cause. It would be a shame if the collective good that will come out of all this is overshadowed by a few errors of judgement.

I am assuming that the developers at HP who put webOS together are not 'nerds' in your book?

I think we should all be grateful that:
    1) The hardware is not as restrictive as some out there
    2) There are enough 'nerds' willing to make stuff like Android ports happen

This way we all have the option of other OSs should we see fit to give them a go.

I really cannot understand the 'thou shalt be in Camp A or Camp B' mentality ...
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    The CM teams were the adults anyways. This Touchdroid team was just a bunch of little kids anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggo0 View Post
    Just putting it out there, those $100 chinese android tablets while crappy hardware, aren't badly manufactured and work fine...they are quite nice for browsing the web in bed or playing videos on the go. For $100 that is.
    Absolute truth. And to add, as far as I know, they aren't developing cracks around speakers or loose screens...
    Last edited by chalx; 09/09/2011 at 06:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    1) Some people are crazy and like apps and support and an OS that isn't buggy as hell.
    Then why are they putting Android on the Touchpad? Sorry, but from my experience Android is way buggier than webOS.

2) WebOS on the Touchpad is buggy. The hardware is awesome but the software is lacking and annoying. It got horrible reviews because it was a horrible tablet due to software issues compared to other offerings. People are covering porting android to the device because its porting a fairly good OS to fairly good hardware at 99 dollars.
    Hardware is awesome? It's plasticky, has cracks at the speaker and large clearances. I have yet to see one software bug...

3) Team Touchdroid were jokes. They just stole everything and plotted to take full credit for the work.
    At last, we can agree on something. For the other two points: *** are you smoking?
    <<thread cleaned>>
    Sorry to hear they failed so fast but others will take their place or already have.

We're getting away from the topic of this post, but hey, why not?

I like WebOS. I like Android 2.2 Uberoid that I put on my el cheapo nameless generic android tablet. WebOS has the better interface, android currently has better applications(especially if you write, QuickOffice for the lose in its current state). Android has one MAJOR benefit over WebOS... Arrow keys on the keyboard. I have no idea what they were thinking when designing WebOS and decided to NOT including arrow keys.

For the touchpad itself, lack of any real USB port is its true downfall for me, there's plenty of space inside it to stick a USB port or card slot. Even my El Cheapo has two(through an adapter card thing. So handy to have a usb keyboard I can plug in.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    There are a lot of $100 tablets that run Gingerbread out there though, why try to hack it onto the Touchpad?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dude,

Seriously? Why would someone want a Dual-Core Snapdragon 1.5Ghz, 1GB RAM, 16GB "HD", 10 point *Capacitive* 10" screen *dual boot* (coming soon) tablet for $99??

I can think of 1-2 reasons.....
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Looks like the port will be here soon. Look how nice and smooth that runs and it isn't complete as yet.

!
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    That and an OS(Android) that will continue to be supported. If you believe webOS will continue to be supported I feel sorry for you.

webOS has terminal cancer and is in a hospice right now. No amount of begging, pleading and protesting will change the inevitable. People can live in denial but the rest of us are making plans.
    Sad, but true...

I like WebOS, but would *love* a dual-boot Touchpad.
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    People's obsession with apps astounds me. With webos on the touchpad I get almost a fully functioning computer, therefore negating the needs for one zillion apps.
    sara.ramli likes this.
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It amazes me when people say things like this. Take quickoffice for eg. It has no spell check, word find, replace text or anything. Even notepad has more functions. Then the one ereader does not open any of my books. I can't open power point docs and the web browser is lacking . I know everyone has different needs but a fully functioning computer is stretching it.
    Fair enough. My statement can be adjusted according to usage patterns.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    There is an OTA that's coming down the pipe from a certain company which will get much press. There are couple of reason why this is, but one is: It's a meaningful OTA update with real customer value. It's not just a bug fix.
    Personally, I consider the inability to read email on a tablet device a rather serious bug. Assuming you're talking about the same OTA I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    It amazes me when people say things like this. Take quickoffice for eg. It has no spell check, word find, replace text or anything. Even notepad has more functions. Then the one ereader does not open any of my books. I can't open power point docs and the web browser is lacking . I know everyone has different needs but a fully functioning computer is stretching it.
    I think that people who say this don't do a whole lot on their computers to begin with.

Quickoffice is ridiculously inadequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by callmechewy View Post

As far as the OS goes, that's also subjectional. I hate how Android looks and behaves, and the same goes for iOS as well.
    I realize that everyone has their preferences though.
    "subjectional" Nice. Is that anything like HP's strategery?
    1: Why on Earth would you seriously want Android on the Touchpad?
    Some people don't like webos

2: Why didn't any of these people cover the Touchpad when it still had life? They covered it once when it launched and gave it bad reviews, and no more.
    some people don't like webos

3: Seriously guys? I thought we were all adults here.
    behavior on Precentral for the past year and a half has been equally childish.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    nappy and sinsin07 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    Some people don't like webos

some people don't like webos

behavior on Precentral for the past year and a half has been equally childish.
    So then buy an Android device, no?
    I am, therefore I think
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    So then buy an Android device, no?
    there is not a $99 device with that level of hardware i guess. Looking on amazon.com's tablet section there is no $99 new tablet of any kind. Most of the devices anywhere close to $100 have smaller screens too. Clearly just like a great number of people they didn't want a webos tablet they wanted a $99 tablet.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/09/2011 at 01:07 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sinsin07 and DeadVim like this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast