Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    GREAT news. Honeycomb shouldn't be too difficult to port over once we get gingerbread up and going right?
    I'll pass on GB. HC or ICS is the only android os worth porting. I have a tab running 2.2 and I never use it. It makes for a crappy tablet os.
    webOS is a better OS imho, I like quality instead of quantity when it comes to apps. lots of people that got the touchpad to put android on it, are changing their mind and loving webOS because how much more superior it is.
    You guys are nuts... Putting a sub-par OS version on sub-par hardware makes no sense at all. WebOS is the best part of this whole situation; the hardware has always been Palm/HP's downfall. Every single person bashed the touchpad hardware and now it's magically "awesome hardware with an awesome OS".

What a joke. Honeycomb is alright. Personally, I like webOS much better and like someone else pointed out, Gingerbread on a tablet is pretty crappy.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    Titan078 likes this.
    The longer it takes them the better. I am sure there will be people who flash the TP as soon as the rom drops, but I wonder how many people who intended on doing it will leave webOS on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDCONTRA View Post
    webOS is a better OS imho, I like quality instead of quantity when it comes to apps. lots of people that got the touchpad to put android on it, are changing their mind and loving webOS because how much more superior it is.
    The shine will likely wear off soon, and those same people will go ahead with their original plan once they tire of the app selection.

Gingerbread on a tablet is not ideal, but with an alternative launcher, it's actually quite nice.
    So I don't have any experience with OS coding stuff, but why are they bothering to mess with Gingerbread first? I don't think anyone wants that phone OS on their tablet. Why not start with Honeycomb 3.2 or whatever is most current?
    What are those "new" people who have fallen in love with webOS doing on theirs?
    I was hoping to love it, but the PDF reader blows, the Kindle app is limited in that it will not allow sideloading other books.
    There is only 1 browser available with no tab support and limited bookmark support
    No pandora, netflix.
    No rar/zip support, no WMA/WMV support.
    Many of the quick pickup games that I enjoy playing with my son are not available.

I would LOVE that Android in a card setup, seems like it would be the best of both worlds, but right now webOS as a whole for me is severely lacking.

I am afraid that many/most developers have already decided to pass on Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by WICKEDCONTRA View Post
    I'm one of the people who bought the TP with EVERY intention of putting android on it, but has come to love and appreciate WebOS.

However, the whole quality vs. quantity argument when it comes to apps is getting pretty annoying.

Yes...android has a LOT of apps and a HUGE portion of them are total crap. But there are also a TON of really great apps on android that are not on the TP that I would love to have.

I won't take the time to list them all out as that's not really the point. The point is this: Just like most of us android fans have all started to realize how awesome WebOS is, I think the WebOS fans would be surprised out how many GREAT apps android could bring.

Which is why I think that palmdroid plan is the best one: Get an android emulator working on WebOS so that you can stick with the great WebOS, but run android apps.

Also - I agree with everyone else. Gingerbread on tablets is nothing special. Honeycomb won't happen since no source code has been released. Once IceCreamSandwich rolls around we could see something awesome.
    <<merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
    I was hoping to love it, but the PDF reader blows, the Kindle app is limited in that it will not allow sideloading other books.
    There is only 1 browser available with no tab support and limited bookmark support
    No pandora, netflix.
    Many of the quick pickup games that I enjoy playing with my son are not available.

I would LOVE that Android in a card setup, seems like it would be the best of both worlds, but right now webOS as a whole for me is severely lacking.

You obviously haven't installed Preware. You could easily solve some of your complaints. Also, I thought the Advanced Browser already made it to the App Catalog. If not, it will or just grab it from Preware if you desperately need tabbed browsing which is pointless in webOS imho.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    I'd much rather have palmdroid. As superior as android's app selection is, WebOS is a far better experience and interface. I can't go back to something as clunky as android or iOS.
    dual boot, or in a card.... I'm not dumping webOS. BUT, at this point, I'll do about anything for Remote Desktop and I know Android has what I need so....
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    dual boot, or in a card.... I'm not dumping webOS. BUT, at this point, I'll do about anything for Remote Desktop and I know Android has what I need so....
    For me remote desktop, decent ssh client and a browser that actually works. I bought it to administer servers and websites so I wouldn't have to lug around my laptop, charger, car charger, spare battery.

The people who say their sticking with webos obviously don't do very much with their computers.

Don't get me wrong webos is sexy and gives me warm fuzzy feelings of the BeOS hacking days but its the blonde bimbo in the equation while andoid is clumsy Doris with the horn rimmed glasses from the office that actually gets things done.
    i
    Quote Originally Posted by zappcatt View Post
    No pandora, netflix.

You should probably get your facts straight before you start rambling on.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...a-website.html

Advanced Browser app brings Tabs, Search and more to the TouchPad | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...uchplayer.html

Some of your issues solved. It isn't perfect, but there are options if you look for them.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/07/2011 at 04:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    The Webos browser's broken... try and access a "long" web page and you only get part of it.
    I don't think the facebook applet works right, so I try and access facebook via the web... which doesn't work well as the browser cuts off the bottom of the page... I've seen it somewhere else... need to verify where that was...

I want Swype... which I believe I'll have under Android.... (after loading the beta - which I'm previously registered...)

Google Voice... I'd really like to have that available too!

I've managed to work around many of the issues I've previously had... was a bit disconcerning to have the browser cause luna to spontaneously restart a couple of days ago... (had a PDF displayed ad let it goto sleep and it freaked out later)

Don't get me wrong... I like Webos... but I miss having a browser that works consistently... I like my sports news agregator (pulse), I miss having a better twitter client... Spaz HD is "OK"... but come on now... Tweet deck or Tweet Caster works better from my perspective... (Spaz doesn't do private lists...)

I'd like to be able to archive my Gmail... not just read it and leave it or delete it...

And... I already own many paid apps on Android that I'd like to be able to use...

The Touchpad works well enough once you install Preware on it... Though I had it lose all of my passwords yesterday.... (doctored it this morning...)

Btw, I had a Pre before having an android... Android doesn't have as polished a user interface... I love cards... but I also find the system somewhat sluggish at times.
    I still can't believe the amount of posts from people saying they won't replace WebOS ! If they actually read other peoples posts they would know that android will be dual boot (no need to replace WebOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I still can't believe the amount of posts from people saying they won't replace WebOS ! If they actually read other peoples posts they would know that android will be dual boot (no need to replace WebOS)
    Some people are a little defensive when it comes to their holy of holies.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by scifan View Post
    I'd like to be able to archive my Gmail... not just read it and leave it or delete it...
    Just so you're aware, you can change webOS to make the "Trash bin" icon work like Archive instead of Delete in the settings. You don't have both, but you can at least change it to always archive which is better than always delete.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mkrajew View Post
    Just so you're aware, you can change webOS to make the "Trash bin" icon work like Archive instead of Delete in the settings. You don't have both, but you can at least change it to always archive which is better than always delete.
    I wasn't aware of that... however, I routinely need to use both... guess I'll continue to use my phone when I'm not at home to read e-mail...

The browser's probably the most infuriating piece... I mean on the one hand, i can watch all sorts of stuff just like if I were sitting at my desktop computer... movie previews at redbox, etc... and on the other hand, if I'm in a forum and click a thread I've read previously (and there are new posts) I click the link for that thread and have to manually refresh to get the new content...

Was it this bad with the 3.0.0 browser?

I really wish I could use something like Firefox or Opera... that's probably the biggest knock at this point... I can live with the e-mail not having an archive option...

(and this is the primary reason I'd prefer to run Android or something like that instead)

Interestingly, according to the company who makes the touch screen, all of our touchpads had android installed at one point in the manufacturing process... for setup and testing prior to being images with Webos...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast