Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

Jay

TouchDroid will turn HP TouchPads into Android tablets
    A group of developers plans to port Android to the HP TouchPad, which is being discontinued by HP

By Nancy Gohring
    August 22, 2011 07:58 PM ET

TouchDroid will turn HP TouchPads into Android tablets - Computerworld

IDG News Service - The lucky people who managed to buy a $99 TouchPad before they sold out just got luckier: A group of developers is working on a way to load Android onto the tablets.

Hewlett-Packard said last week it would stop making the TouchPad and that it was exploring options for the webOS software that runs on the device. It has also dropped the price of the 16GB TouchPad to $99, making it one of the best tablet deals around.

Still, people who bought it took a risk, since it's not clear if HP will continue to develop the operating system. That risk may now pay off since the TouchPad could become the best-value Android tablet.

Three developers and other supporters have launched the TouchDroid project and plan to soon begin porting an older version of Android, known as Gingerbread, to the tablets.

"So you've plunked down your $99/$149, and you're staring at that WebOS screen... Welcome to a grand effort to port Android to the HP Touchpad," they wrote on a wiki page about the project.

The group is having to start its work with Gingerbread because Google has not released the source code for Honeycomb, the version of Android for tablets that first became available on the Motorola Xoom in February. Once Ice Cream Sandwich, the next version of Android, becomes available, they'll focus on that version of the OS, according to the wiki site.

The developers said there's no way to know how long it will be before they can release a working version of Android for the tablet. "Figure this will take a good long while. Keep your expectations very low and for now enjoy WebOS," the site says.

Further complicating the initiative, some of the developers don't yet have TouchPads.

"Until all of the #touchdroid developers receive their devices, project development will be very slow or at a standstill this week," according to the HPTouchDroid Twitter feed.

Companies including Best Buy, CompUSA, Staples, CDW and Circuit City say they have sold out of Touchpads online, and in some cases in stores too.

Best Buy wrote in a forum Sunday that it had completely sold out of TouchPads and that it would not be receiving any more. Amazon lists some TouchPads for sale, at higher prices than $99 and from little-known retailers.

On Monday, HP said interest in the TouchPad was so high that it was having trouble keeping a website about the product online. "The amount of traffic to the TouchPad availability page is causing issues," HP said via its main Twitter page.

The website currently says: "Due to the significant price reduction, we experienced overwhelming demand for the product and are temporarily out of inventory."

More units are on the way, however. HP Social Media Manager Bryna Corcoran said via Twitter that the company was restocking. "No more being made, but have inventory coming from ones already manufactured," she wrote.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I will not even test Android when I get my Touchpad. I prefer WebOS or Windows on it (WebOS forever).
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisAntonio View Post
    I will not even test Android when I get my Touchpad. I prefer WebOS or Windows on it (WebOS forever).
    It ****es me off people bought it just to put android on it. I tried to get one for my dad. Who wants to get it for webOS the operating system MENT for it and I couldnt.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

Not wishing them well. I hope they fail miserably.
    same here I hope they fail!
    marc25v, geeksquadkid and Rnp like this.
    I like Web OS as it is far more fluid than android but the app catalog is just **** poor. Maybe if it improves over the next few weeks I'll consider switching.
    LOL guys. I'm looking forward to it. Would really like to see dual boot.
    Wow, Sour grapes! what if they are able to install an android app emulator. Then you have webos and 100s of thousands of apps
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I personally am a huge webOS fan, hope the 32 GB Touchpad I got for $150 actually ships, and I will for sure run it stock plus patches of course.

However, I like innovation, its cool to see what the human mind can accomplish. These developers are pushing the envelope, and for as long as great minds are allowed to push that envelope, in whatever technology excites them, we all are the better for it.

Just my opinion.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    I must say, it would be cool to get Windows 8 as an option. But Ice Cream Sandwich sounds like a better option than a really outdated webOS.
    It would be great to dual boot and have access to all the droid apps.
    I appreciate their enthusiasm and wish them luck, but I hope not too many TouchPads are sacrificed for this effort. Each TP that is saddled with Android is one less TouchPad that's contributing to the webOS userbase numbers.

Plus, let's be real: Android 2.x on tablets is ... just so lame.

EDIT: Hold on; if we're talking dual-boot, then I fully support this. That would be simply incredible.
    Rnp likes this.
    they won't fail. It will be dual booting android in short order and I, for one will take advantage of it. Openness says choice is good. While I love webOS, the functionality that is missing and available on Android is a sticking point(and the reason I got an Android phone to go with the 2 webOS device in my home.) As far as people who bought it just to put Android on it, the people over at Rootzwiki and xda that know anything about webOS agree on it's fine points, but it all comes down to apps for the majority. The app base for webOS just can't compare. webOS will always appeal to those who don't prefer to use a lot of apps and just use the browser mostly. That is not the norm, though.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    +1 for dual boot
    Why dont they just go to walgreens and buy an android tablet if thats what they want?
    provided all the android types goto the android related forums and dont keep flooding in here, i mean afterall they would have an android machine in the end, no reason for them to bog these forums down they would have no relation to webOS afterall other than the touchpads hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by hstechfl View Post
    Why dont they just go to walgreens and buy an android tablet if thats what they want?
    Quality of materials and performance from a Walgreens tablet is atrocious. Say what you will about the TouchPad, but its hardware is pretty damn impressive by comparison. For $100, it's just ... it's insane.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Dual boot would be great, for sure.

And I don't think we have to worry about much of a webOS reduction because of this, even if not dual boot. The people that do that kind of thing, um, "us", we are a small minority.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachen808 View Post
    Wow, Sour grapes! what if they are able to install an android app emulator. Then you have webos and 100s of thousands of apps
    Not really sour grapes...Android hasn't done well in the tablet space either and last offering I used didn't provide anymore then native webOS so what's the point.

BTW, this is Precentral.net...I think you might be a little out-numbered by webOS supporters. Sorli...
    I read a comment somewhere else (that I can't remember now) that said something to the effect of:

"Putting Android on the Touchpad is like bronze plating your gold medal."

I agree with that but I don't care if people want to dual boot or turn it into an Android tablet. EXCEPT for that the fact that when its turned into a droid it removed another tablet from the webOS catalog that would potentially be buying and supporting webOS developers.
    frankos72 likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast