Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree48Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    You would have a point if:

- This wasn't the Other Tablets forum
    - This thread wasn't the repository to talk about said project.
    - People didn't have the option of not clicking on or replying to the thread.
    didnt mean just here, threads have started aplenty in the device specific threats, touchpad etc, pretty much every "wooooop android for touchpad" post started in there near enough.
    I have no interest if I have to remove the webos or any kind of dual-boot.. but it will be great if that can run in a card..
    Well, looks like things aren't going well:

HP Touchpad Android port not off to a good start

Touchdroid --Android for the HP Touchpad

Android on the touchpad

The TouchDroid website temporarily said:

A member of our team (RHCP) has gone totally apesh*t. He wasn’t getting the publicity he wanted and cried about it. He finally took it a step further because he STILL wasn’t getting the attention he wanted. He took it upon himself to make us look like a joke. He deleted our Twitter account, he destroyed our GitHub Repo, he has threatened ALL of us physically, he has promised to dox us, he has been STEALING code and taking credit. Help us take this rat bast*rd down. If you have any info on him please come forward! We are no longer working with him but he is a serious threat to us all.
    trsohmers's IRC chat:

[08/23/2011 -:- 10:58:13 PM] trsohmers: The team has had a lot of drama over the last two days
    [08/23/2011 -:- 10:58:39 PM] trsohmers: Because of rhcp and a lot of things
    [08/23/2011 -:- 10:58:56 PM] trsohmers: Rhcp left today and took the github with him
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:01:39 PM] BarronThe: and when you say you're leaving touchdroid, you mean the 'team' or the effort altogether?
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:02:05 PM] trsohmers: GUYS
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:02:29 PM] trsohmers: We have a booting kernel
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:02:32 PM] trsohmers: thats about it
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:02:42 PM] trsohmers: only 3 of us had touchpads‚ not much work was done
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:03:47 PM] trsohmers: So guys, I wouldn't expect much from Touchdroid
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:03:53 PM] trsohmers: or whatever new team forms out of this
    [08/23/2011 -:- 11:03:56 PM] trsohmers: sorry to say
    But then "rhcp011235" says:

All. The touchdroid project is not dead. We just had some internal changes. we removed members. we have devs in place. don't worry.

You all have two great teams working now. We will make things public. when things are better situated.

A blog will be put up to explain all the drama very simple. and it should explain everything. in regards to what happened.
    Another dev:

The long and short of it is this: some people were "on the team" for the wrong reasons. They pumped up expectations and caused drama, and eventually the people that were in it for the right reasons broke under the pressure; hellfire and brimstone ensued, people left IRC channels and got quiet, and once the dust settled, the core team was stronger, plus due to the severe lowering of the noise floor, we've received the support of a few other Android dev teams that are eager to help. How's that for an executive summary?
    So there are apparently two factions who split. The website has been down as they struggle for power. From what little information is out there, it looks like "trsohmers" and "rhcp" were the leaders of the factions who fought, and that a majority of the original developers are staying with rhcp.

Personally, I'd prefer it if the TouchPad community would fix and enhance WebOS rather than spend time on Android, but if people insist, I'm okay with it.

Update:

They have posted a statement on their site.

You can see the chat logs HERE and HERE.
    Last edited by leek; 08/25/2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Update stories
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Check out the very first post on page 4 of the rootzWiki android/touchpad thread. The poster claims his device had android running on it.

Touchdroid --Android for the HP Touchpad
    No movement on this project that I can see. I stopped following it when I read someone say they could just drop in the webos kernel into an android system partition and it would work. I can't find anyone over there that seems to know what they are talking about. Whatever, flashing Android to a touchpad is silly. Now if we could get WebOS on a tegra 2 platform like the Galaxy tab 10.1 I would be interested.
    personally i dont see what the big deal is, yeah sure some ppl will get a cheap android device if it works, but the hardwares discontinued, just means a limited audience, that gets their wish and erm thats it, no more new touchpad hardware on the cheap, dust settles, the team doing the coding will fade away.

really is it worth the excitement and effort? it doesnt really help anyone but those limited few that got 1 cheap, and theres no future for it.

its not like the lads that keep ripping up to date playstations to bits and do their magic on a contiinual business, its a dead end project.
    For those interested:

[DUMP] Android 2.2.1 Dump from HP TouchPad courtesy of Androidball and Jiwanish

It includes download links to just the system files from the Touchpad's that had Qualcomm's version of Android preinstalled. There's currently not a way to install it on your own. That will probably happen soon. However, read the entire thread.
    This chat log should give you a good idea of the status of the TouchDroid project.
  9.    #69  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

'TouchDroid' Project Hits a Snag
    By Barry Levine
    August 25, 2011 1:16PM

NewsFactor Network | 'TouchDroid' Project Hits a Snag

TouchDroid project leader Thomas Sohmers has told news media that one team member used donations to buy HP TouchPads, which he then resold for a profit. Sohmers also said the unnamed person misrepresented his background and deleted the TouchDroid Twitter account when questions arose
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

'TouchDroid' Project Hits a Snag
    By Barry Levine
    August 25, 2011 1:16PM

NewsFactor Network | 'TouchDroid' Project Hits a Snag

TouchDroid project leader Thomas Sohmers has told news media that one team member used donations to buy HP TouchPads, which he then resold for a profit. Sohmers also said the unnamed person misrepresented his background and deleted the TouchDroid Twitter account when questions arose
    There's some controversy surrounding this. However, the original team split into two groups. Trsomhers and Rhcp are the leaders of the respective groups. Both have made a lot of progress. They have Qualcomm Android files and are creating a way to flash Android onto the device. Also, there's a third group from XDA that is also working on this.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    "TouchDroid" has to be the worst name ever. Remember when people giggled at "iPad"?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234