Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 71
Like Tree48Likes
  1. #21  
    I just don't understand the hostility. A lot of people bought TouchPads knowing they're buying into a dead end OS. I'd imagine being able to install Android and having a path to the future is a lot more important to them than hanging on to webOS -- it just makes the TouchPad a more valuable tablet.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by hstechfl View Post
    Why dont they just go to walgreens and buy an android tablet if thats what they want?
    Because webOS will die one day. At least the option of a future working OS on this tablet eases the pain for some who have bought the item expecting support. For me it will be based on how webOS performs. I have only seen android do well on the xoom and newer samsung phones, so unless it out performs them and webOS I wont be switching.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by intron View Post
    I read a comment somewhere else (that I can't remember now) that said something to the effect of:

    "Putting Android on the Touchpad is like bronze plating your gold medal."

    I agree with that but I don't care if people want to dual boot or turn it into an Android tablet. EXCEPT for that the fact that when its turned into a droid it removed another tablet from the webOS catalog that would potentially be buying and supporting webOS developers.
    +1

    Even though im of the mind that every Dev should build for every platform. For example carbon might not make a big splash in ios or android but there's bound to be people who use it while carbon is number 1 on the web os side of things.

    (I really want carbon android...its the best looking twitter app i've seen)
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    they won't fail. It will be dual booting android in short order and I, for one will take advantage of it. Openness says choice is good. While I love webOS, the functionality that is missing and available on Android is a sticking point(and the reason I got an Android phone to go with the 2 webOS device in my home.) As far as people who bought it just to put Android on it, the people over at Rootzwiki and xda that know anything about webOS agree on it's fine points, but it all comes down to apps for the majority. The app base for webOS just can't compare. webOS will always appeal to those who don't prefer to use a lot of apps and just use the browser mostly. That is not the norm, though.

    The way you get developers interested is a large userbase. If people start taking webos off their tablets userbase goes down. Interest drops. They should buy an ANDROID tablet if they want an ANDROID tablet.
    Conne>< Coding

    Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

    Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

    Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

    yellowhammer and frankos72 like this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I personally am a huge webOS fan, hope the 32 GB Touchpad I got for $150 actually ships, and I will for sure run it stock plus patches of course.

    However, I like innovation, its cool to see what the human mind can accomplish. These developers are pushing the envelope, and for as long as great minds are allowed to push that envelope, in whatever technology excites them, we all are the better for it.

    Just my opinion.
    +1 and hope mine ships too. Ordered from amazon seller named onsale.
    _____________________________________________
    Please excuse my grammar,i may be using a virtual keyboard or I just am in a rush.

    >i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    _____________________________________________
    Eclipse Software
    Head Developer
    Apps for Windows Phone 7 / webOS (coming soon)
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Not really sour grapes...Android hasn't done well in the tablet space either and last offering I used didn't provide anymore then native webOS so what's the point.

    BTW, this is Precentral.net...I think you might be a little out-numbered by webOS supporters. Sorli...
    Oh, I agree, I bought the TP on Friday before they had even announced that they were going to try to port android. I bought it, however, because I was certain that someone would try to get android on it. However, having one in my hands, I am highly impressed by WebOS, I like it far far more than I thought I would. In fact, I would love to see dual boot, or android apps on webOS, but wishing for outright failure seems kinda . . . strange. Especially since (it would seem to me) it just two different flavors of nerds coming together.
  7. ap3604's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Not wishing them well. I hope they fail miserably.
    Quote Originally Posted by djfu3l3r View Post
    same here I hope they fail!
    You two really make the WebOS community here look bad

    We get it; you love WebOS and are still hurt that HP did what they did... but trying to spread hate of a developer trying to help the touchpad community for free? That's low.

    I hope the mods deal with you two if nothing else than to increase the level of maturity on this forum.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    You two really make the WebOS community here look bad

    We get it; you love WebOS and are still hurt that HP did what they did... but trying to spread hate of a developer trying to help the touchpad community for free? That's low.

    I hope the mods deal with you two if nothing else than to increase the level of maturity on this forum.
    I see nothing wrong with their comments, they are justified in their views. The developers working on this arent doing this for the good of everyone they are doing it because they want cheap android tablets. They arent saints. Plus the 1500 dollar bounty cant hurt their desire to accomplish this.
    Conne>< Coding

    Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

    Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

    Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

  9. ap3604's Avatar
    Posts
    139 Posts
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I see nothing wrong with their comments, they are justified in their views. The developers working on this arent doing this for the good of everyone they are doing it because they want cheap android tablets. They arent saints. Plus the 1500 dollar bounty cant hurt their desire to accomplish this.
    Really? I see a lot wrong with wishing a developer to fail miserably and trying to spread a hateful message just because you don't want other people to succeed in having a choice of a different OS. Sounds very childish to me and the mods should put a stop to this type of behavior.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    Really? I see a lot wrong with wishing a developer to fail miserably and trying to spread a hateful message just because you don't want other people to succeed in having a choice of a different OS. Sounds very childish to me and the mods should put a stop to this type of behavior.
    I completely agree. Wishing failure upon others is just sad. I know it's just a few bad apples, but if I was a developer and I constantly saw comments like these I'd stray away. Just because it doesn't benefit the person doesn't make it alright to have ill thoughts about it. It's quite a selfish remark to make.

    As someone who had a Pre- since release date and supported WebOS I completely welcome alternatives to the touchpad. Dual-booting will be an incredible feature.
    milominderbinde likes this.
  11. #31  
    What bothers me about this is that so many people are assuming they can easily run Android and that it will work just as well as an Android tablet. And a lot of them seem to think they can do it right now. But like the article said, it will take time.

    Before my Pixi, I had an HTC Touch Pro/Fuze. I got Android to run on it (Froyo, I think). I had all kinds of trouble with button mapping, and I couldn't get gapps to install (which includes the app store with all of those apps everyone wants). I tried again 6 months later with the same results. This is a different device, so maybe it will work better, but any one who thinks Android will run flawlessly on the TouchPad in less than a week is mistaken.

    My friend works at Best Buy and keeps telling people that they should get one so they can install Honeycomb. Every time he says that I want to punch him in the face.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I just don't understand the hostility. A lot of people bought TouchPads knowing they're buying into a dead end OS. I'd imagine being able to install Android and having a path to the future is a lot more important to them than hanging on to webOS -- it just makes the TouchPad a more valuable tablet.
    First of all, it is not a "dead end" OS. If anything it's the tablets and phones from HP that are supposed to be dead. Strange that you want to buy the dead hardware, but get rid ofthe very much alive OS. IF you think it is a "dead end" OS, then you ought not to be buying it. Finally, if it's android you wnat, then go troll the android forums, why waste your time and ours on a forum that is quite clearly dedicated to webOS.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    viper151 likes this.
  13. #33  
    The sad part is, that these androiders are hogging the Touchpads while those who want the TouchPad for webOS itself are unable to get any.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    viper151 and Exhnozoaa like this.
  14. #34  
    dual or tri boot (Ubuntu) would be pretty cool I think. Take a little bit of good out of all and get something that's useful, nothing wrong with that.

    not saying they aren't useful, but 3 different options on one device is pretty slick.
  15. #35  
    I welcome an Android port. As someone who had a Sprint Pre and had to basically tweak the device just to have basic functionality during the first few months, I'm used to trying to make a Palm product better.
  16. pebacher's Avatar
    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #36  
    It would be a far better project to develop a way to boot webOS on the Galaxy Tab or eePad, or one of those Android tabs that have good hardware but are saddled with the weak Android OS.
    yellowhammer likes this.
  17. Smubeht's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I personally am a huge webOS fan, hope the 32 GB Touchpad I got for $150 actually ships, and I will for sure run it stock plus patches of course.

    However, I like innovation, its cool to see what the human mind can accomplish. These developers are pushing the envelope, and for as long as great minds are allowed to push that envelope, in whatever technology excites them, we all are the better for it.

    Just my opinion.
    Tell them to put webOS on the Samsung Galaxy or the iPad2 then! That is innovation we can appreciate..

    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    It would be a far better project to develop a way to boot webOS on the Galaxy Tab or eePad, or one of those Android tabs that have good hardware but are saddled with the weak Android OS.
    Didn't see your post when I replied, but exactly!
    yellowhammer likes this.
  18. #38  
    If this effort is true to form, we may see dual boot in about 90 days.

    Suddenly instead of 5,700 apps, we would have 250,000.

    We do not know who will buy HP's PSG or what they might do with webOS. Someone may buy webOS just to lock the 2,000 patents in a safe. Android gives us a plan B.

    Also, the TouchPad CPU really is a beast. webOS is by it's design interpreted, not compiled meaning that when it loads an app it has to convert code into binary to execute it. Android might prove how fast the TouchPad hardware really is.

    So this effort might yield:
    • More apps
    • More options
    • Faster performance
    • At no cost to us
    • With no obligation to participate

    Can someone explain how this is bad?
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/23/2011 at 01:24 PM.
    gjbnh and nappy like this.
  19. gjbnh's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #39  
    Short video of someone apparently already running Ubuntu on the TP. THAt did not take long.

  20. #40  
    please search before creating new threads.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions