Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I love WebOS but android will extend the life if the TP! hope this works out fine
    Samsung A900> HTC Touch (Vogue)> Palm Pre> HTC Hero> Palm Pre> Palm Pre> Palm Pre> HTC Evo 4G White
    Why oh why would anyone do this port Android to the Touchpad? What happen to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Waste of time. Unless it's the most recent Honeycomb, it's going to be terrible to use on the TouchPad.
    If you read the link you would have been able to know the answer before you posted:

OVERVIEW
    We are attempting to port Android to the HP Touchpad, which was originally shipped with webOS.

• First going to build with Gingerbread and be AOSP based
    • After we are able to successfully boot Android, we are going to move to a CM7 base
    • Once we reach what we deem a "stable" beta, we will continue to provide bug fixes for Gingerbread build, but also begin working on a full Honeycomb port
    • If ICS is released before or during our development of the Honeycomb port, we will stop and begin work on ICS. (Please be October…)

Oh and for everyone else, there will be a full working Android Market.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    This would be about 100x more interesting if these fine fellows were porting webOS to the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I just think it's more interesting if somebody makes an already good product even better by adding splendid software to splendid hardware, instead of making an already "lackluster" (not my words) product even worse by adding inferior software to mediocre hardware.

^ €0,02
    etx and FenrirWolf like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This would be about 100x more interesting if these fine fellows were porting webOS to the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I just think it's more interesting if somebody makes an already good product even better by adding splendid software to splendid hardware, instead of making an already "lackluster" (not my words) product even worse by adding inferior software to mediocre hardware.

^ €0,02
    And watch the Dev's flood in to... "Wait, where are you guys going???"

See that's the problem, I love WebOS and like most people on the forums think it's better then Android. If all I cared about was surfing the web, checking email, Facebook and such then I would recommend anyone reading this post don't waste your time to port to Android, it won't be worth all the headaches and you won't gain anything. But for people like me that want document editing (I know it's done and supposed to be coming for like the last few years..) RDP, VNC and a bunch of other apps not availble to WebOS it's worth the pain. I also fear support on apps that I currently have will fade away which could be a problem.

Like I said I think we all love WebOS and wish things didn't get to this point but a Supercar with few roads to drive on can't always get you to where you need to go. That unfortunately is where WebOS is right now.
    A site called hacknmod.com is now offering a $1500 bounty to the first team to boot Android on the TouchPad.
    I am proud to say I could care less if andriod is ported to the TP. If you bought a TP just in case android gets ported to it shame on you. My dad among other users who wanted it for WEBOS couldnt get one. Thats my 2 cents.
    Conne>< Coding

Remember!!
    *In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
    Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

kulf likes this.
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I am proud to say I could care less if andriod is ported to the TP. If you bought a TP just in case android gets ported to it shame on you. My dad among other users who wanted it for WEBOS couldnt get one. Thats my 2 cents.
    Have fun just surfing the net and checking emails on the device. I for one would welcome being able to use Netflix, tons of office suites, web browsers (touchpad web browser is terrible) and a whole lot of good stuff. Already found plenty websites that do now work with the touchpad. Don't talk about how laggy the touchpad is. It is just as slow as my launch day pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by geeksquadkid View Post
    I can kind of agree. I prefer webOS, but if it's a future these guys want with a tablet I can understand them wanting Android on it. If it could dual boot, that may have me sold.
    For those interested in getting to know Android better and connect with other WebOS users like yourselves please join in at Androidcentral and meet here:

Former WebOS Users Discussion Thread - Android Forums
    Last edited by deesugar; 08/22/2011 at 04:14 PM.
    webos port to tab 10 would be aight but the other way round is a pure shame,i certainly wouldn't use and i hope HP put a kill switch for anyone trying to **** in tp with android
    btw android should censored aswell like ****e or ****
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    webos port to tab 10 would be aight but the other way round is a pure shame,i certainly wouldn't use and i hope HP put a kill switch for anyone trying to **** in tp with android
    It would be the other way around. If anyone try to illegally port webos (which is proprietary closed source) to other hardware --- HP would sue their a.s.s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    My friend, HP want's nothing to do with WebOS anymore. That's the whole reason for this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Just my 2 cents, and I don't know if this was mentioned already but what about making an android VM on top of webOS. Didn't hp talk about the touchpad running VM's and whatnot as a selling point? I would assume if this were true (being able to run a VM) then someone could just make android run on it that way. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be a start...
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Video!

Legit?

2.2.1 FroYo

Obviously a proof of concept, but promising eh? After only a couple days now.

[EDIT]

Apparantly the video says "it came like that"

Quic? Is it a leaked out test pad from HP running Android? (or is that normal boot for a touchpad? I don't have one.... yet)

Hoax?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    honeycomb is a huge mess, and gingerbread is for phones. This is a silly venture. An android runtime on webOS however makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Video!

Legit?

2.2.1 FroYo

Obviously a proof of concept, but promising eh? After only a couple days now.
    Pretty good fake if it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukeboxer View Post
    Just my 2 cents, and I don't know if this was mentioned already but what about making an android VM on top of webOS. Didn't hp talk about the touchpad running VM's and whatnot as a selling point? I would assume if this were true (being able to run a VM) then someone could just make android run on it that way. It wouldn't be the same, but it would be a start...
    I think most people want to settle on one OS for their phone and would rather run it native. Running two OS's on a device is like trying to drive two cars down the street. There will be either a lot of starting and stopping or eventually you say, "F it!" and leave one behind.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Guys can anyone confirm that the QUALLCOMM boot logo animation shown in the video is present on a standard touchpad?

Has anyone ever seen that before?
    Last edited by Kujila; 08/22/2011 at 06:35 PM.
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast