Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Netflix? Valid.
    Pulse News? Never heard of it.
    Hulu? Works fine on TouchPad (websites rule, apps drool).
    Document editing? Do it now. What's your problem? Oh, and QuickOffice is under contract to bring a native Office editing app to the TouchPad for FREE (unlike the other platforms). Yes, I know it's not here, but Google Docs, TapNote, Typewriter Beta...
    Read it Later? Not familiar.
    NPR? Government propaganda is fully available on their website or through news readers.
    Comics? Meh. But valid.
    CNN? Website.

Most of these apps are just website content aggregators, which is my point.
    With the touchpad's market share growing that will cause hulu to block the site. It took hulu too months before it banned HC and Playbook browsers from using it.

Also what if im not at a wifi spot. Having native apps are the optimal solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    If I wanted an android tablet I would've gotten a Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Yep. Me too. My husband bought one. I tried it, and the UI is too cumbersome for me. I don't use a truckload of apps either.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I don't thing the hardware sucks at all. The problem is the lack of optimization in the OS . I have an EVO 3d and the hardware is basically the same but the EVO runs circles around the tp. Anything I need to do happens instantly on the phone but the tp takes forever. Just opening quickoffice alone takes almost 15 seconds sometimes. If I open quickoffice on the phone it opens instantly.
    Yeah, it would open instantly if it was already running in your budget version of multitasking! Kill the app from running, then open it and tell me how fast it opens?

If quickoffice was already opened in a card, it would open instantly too.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
    there are...the 'problem' is that those budget tablets use older generation processors and 2.x flavors of android, and had pretty crappy battery life.

it's pretty obvious why those that want to run android on something with modern spec'd hardware at such a low price flocked to purchase a TP over the weekend.

[and no, i am not an android fan...though i'm not opposed to any project that is looking to port android to the TP]
    exactly. The internals of this tablet are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    not true, he possibly, like many other, probably couldn't get one because of fandroids buying them. So, not a win-win.
    fail, why? If you were a true WebOS fan, you would already have owned the tablet, period.

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I'd really like to know how webOS is dead. HP clearly intends to license it, and Samsung and HTC were clearly interested. Further, if any OS is more endanger of being dead, it's actually Android. Why? Two reasons: 1) Legally, Android is in deep schnitt. HTC is looking like the first injunction victim. If HTC, Samsung, and Moto can't sell Android phones in the US, the OS is dead. 2) I've seen one satisfaction survey (ChangeWave Survey) which showed that Android only has a satisfaction rating of 50%. Compare that to iOS at 70%. Why? Because it was designed by geeks. The same reasons why Linux isn't winning the desktop wars is the same reason why Android is vulnerable on phones: the interface is clunky, overly complex at times, is a mix and match of elements, and, overall, isn't very fun to deal with. Powerful? Yes. Capable of doing just about anything? Yes. Beloved by the average user? No.

Right now webOS only has two real problems: 1) the UI is still not fully accelerated, nor is the Java compiler, and 2) the number of apps is perceived low, even though the overwhelming majority of non-game apps are just website mini-apps. Since the TouchPad seems capable of hitting all the websites and working well on them, many apps are just not needed on webOS. If HP gets another update out there that can shave 30-40% of the time it takes to the run-time to interpret apps and finish accelerating all of the UI elements, then the whole speed thing will be history. The apps were starting to come when HP made the announcement. If this fire sale gets the developers going again, we'll continue to see webOS have more optimized apps than Honeycomb, at least for a while.

Oh...and newsflash for the new Android fans...this is a webOS site. While I personally don't care if you wipe your device to go backwards all in the quest for more fart apps, I don't think all that many on this forum care.
    I believe android will face some legal troubles, but nothing like recent ban of samsung product's. Our law system, believe it or not, isn't as silly as theirs. A patent based on a vague drawing really stuck? Please...

I honestly think androids problem is fragmentation. This is obvious. Most people don't own superphones as they call them (all the new dual core phones basically). Pairing android 2.1 with a 600mhz processor will leave you wanting..and a lot of budget phones do just that. There isn't the consistency of apples products.

and newflash to you...membership probably doubled during the fire sale, fueled a lot by android hopefulls..
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    With the touchpad's market share growing that will cause hulu to block the site. It took hulu too months before it banned HC and Playbook browsers from using it.

Also what if im not at a wifi spot. Having native apps are the optimal solution.
    Most websites consist of a small text file (HTML) and media content. With the exception of a bunch of pictures on a website, most websites will load all of their content about as quick as an App while on 3G, so why would I care if I was tethered to a 3G phone or on wifi when it comes to an app or the browser pulling in the same content?

Hulu hasn't blocked the TouchPad, and the TouchPad reports as a desktop browser, so...me thinks you speak too soon on Hulu.

Oh, apparently ReadList does what Read it Later does (per the front page article).
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    If I wanted an android tablet I would've gotten a Samsung Galaxy Tab
    well you can blame hp for that then. i think porting android is a good idea. as of now it appears webos is dead.
    If i can get this to dual boot it'll be the perfect device!!!
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    I hope it fails miserably.
    like webos did? sorry but you being pretty ignorant about android here.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    HP touchpad product sales information. I AM A PROGRAMER | eBay

Can anyone confirm or deny this info on this ebay posting?

Are we really trying to get Android on the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Yes, but that ebay is a scam. You can find links to buy a TP in this very forum!

Here's the thread, that once resided here.

It's been moved twice, to different forums!

http://forums.precentral.net/other-t...-touchpad.html
    :@
    What an *****. Just as good as iPad if android is port ?? Damn you xda...
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post
    No thanks!

Why are you here?..just curious.
    well im a avid android user and former webos user as well. your point is what?
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    With the interest that's been shown for Android on the TP, I expect to see it on there within a month :P

They already ran Android on the Pre, and the guts of the TP match up to existing Android requirements...
    No thanks.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I would say the TP is already on equal grounds with an iPad, minus app content.

Adding Android just means I will be able to use it for Netflix :P

...and possibly "Galaxy on Fire 2"
    The work is still being done on this. I was monitoring the IRC chatter about this. No one has done anything definitive yet and there's no breakthrough ATM. There was also a random Youtube video of someone claiming that they will have release information on 8/24/2011. However, they don't seem to be associated with XDA or the Rootzwiki teams.

I'm sure this will get done "in the coming weeks."
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 08/22/2011 at 08:35 AM.
    please don't create new threads until you have looked to see if there are already active threads on the topic.

thanks
    <<threads merged>>
    if android is able to run on the tp, does that mean webOS can run on android devices like the galaxy tab10.1? I would love to make it the $550 device that it is with webOS. It would be so much better a device.

we need a webOS port dev team on android central
    Last edited by champiful; 08/22/2011 at 08:52 AM.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast