Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I don't buy phones on launch! I wait a year and buy them off-contract. In this case, I replaced the aging Pre with an Android phone since Sprint never got another WebOS device.

Also Orion, you wouldn't be satisfied with Android 2.3 Gingerbread? There's a lot off off-brand tablets that use that. It's made for phones, but it works! If they had full hardware support, it would open up a whole new realm of gaming for the TouchPad (N64/PSX runs on my 800mhz Snapdragon Phone, so I'm sure it would be even better on the TouchPad). Not to mention Netflix! I have a Netflix APK that works on just about any Android device, hopefully TouchPad included
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Waste of time. Unless it's the most recent Honeycomb, it's going to be terrible to use on the TouchPad.
    Google hasn't released the source code for Honeycomb yet.
    I can't believe there's still this air of elitism surrounding a dead OS.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I wouldn't convert the Touchpad to WebOS either, but why get so angry at other users who would? It's not like you can stop them. And who knows? Maybe a year down the road if HP has shuttered GBU, or there's some killer app on the latest "Baked Alaska" version of Android, you'll be glad of the option. I've been a Linux user since 1994, but I still have a Windows dual-boot for certain apps that don't work with the penguin. My feeling is that the less-than-optimal user experience on android has been a key factor in spawning a huge mod community which is good for users not only in terms of unlocking, but also in terms of keeping hardware going after vendors have dropped support. Even negatives can have positive effects.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Google hasn't released the source code for Honeycomb yet.
    They run it on the Nook Color

Why not TouchPad?
    Gingerbread on a tablet is a terrible experience. I haven't seen Honeycomb yet but it can't be worse than 2.3.
    I am running 2.3 on my Gtablet and no issues. Love it. Runs every app. Would love honeycomb but dont think it can run on a Gtablet.
    Quote Originally Posted by erick161 View Post
    true webOS fans? This tablet is dead. So what if people like me are ecstatic about having android ported over. No one is forcing you to run android on your tablet so why the negativity? At least the touchpad can now live on as probably the most successful budget android converted tablet...ever.

...and the beauty? YOU can still run webOS. Win-win for all
    not true, he possibly, like many other, probably couldn't get one because of fandroids buying them. So, not a win-win.
    Sprint Love
    I'd really like to know how webOS is dead. HP clearly intends to license it, and Samsung and HTC were clearly interested. Further, if any OS is more endanger of being dead, it's actually Android. Why? Two reasons: 1) Legally, Android is in deep schnitt. HTC is looking like the first injunction victim. If HTC, Samsung, and Moto can't sell Android phones in the US, the OS is dead. 2) I've seen one satisfaction survey (ChangeWave Survey) which showed that Android only has a satisfaction rating of 50%. Compare that to iOS at 70%. Why? Because it was designed by geeks. The same reasons why Linux isn't winning the desktop wars is the same reason why Android is vulnerable on phones: the interface is clunky, overly complex at times, is a mix and match of elements, and, overall, isn't very fun to deal with. Powerful? Yes. Capable of doing just about anything? Yes. Beloved by the average user? No.

Right now webOS only has two real problems: 1) the UI is still not fully accelerated, nor is the Java compiler, and 2) the number of apps is perceived low, even though the overwhelming majority of non-game apps are just website mini-apps. Since the TouchPad seems capable of hitting all the websites and working well on them, many apps are just not needed on webOS. If HP gets another update out there that can shave 30-40% of the time it takes to the run-time to interpret apps and finish accelerating all of the UI elements, then the whole speed thing will be history. The apps were starting to come when HP made the announcement. If this fire sale gets the developers going again, we'll continue to see webOS have more optimized apps than Honeycomb, at least for a while.

Oh...and newsflash for the new Android fans...this is a webOS site. While I personally don't care if you wipe your device to go backwards all in the quest for more fart apps, I don't think all that many on this forum care.
    akshunj, 11B1P and spikea4 like this.
    Isn't the second post illegal if he is sharing a webos Doctor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mair View Post
    Isn't the second post illegal if he is sharing a webos Doctor?
    a post in this thread? I don't see it.
    <thread moved>
    i hope someone does step in to buy webOS. those are some interesting ideas that you posted.
    i bought a TP just a few hours ago off Amazon (after hours of frustration trying to order off the HP website) and am looking-forward to seeing webOS in action. i don't need much in the way of extra apps to be happy in webOS. [if someone knows a good RDP app for windows to recommend, i'll be pretty happy!]

Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I'd really like to know how webOS is dead. HP clearly intends to license it, and Samsung and HTC were clearly interested. Further, if any OS is more endanger of being dead, it's actually Android. Why? Two reasons: 1) Legally, Android is in deep schnitt. HTC is looking like the first injunction victim. If HTC, Samsung, and Moto can't sell Android phones in the US, the OS is dead. 2) I've seen one satisfaction survey (ChangeWave Survey) which showed that Android only has a satisfaction rating of 50%. Compare that to iOS at 70%. Why? Because it was designed by geeks. The same reasons why Linux isn't winning the desktop wars is the same reason why Android is vulnerable on phones: the interface is clunky, overly complex at times, is a mix and match of elements, and, overall, isn't very fun to deal with. Powerful? Yes. Capable of doing just about anything? Yes. Beloved by the average user? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post

Right now webOS only has two real problems: 1) the UI is still not fully accelerated, nor is the Java compiler, and 2) the number of apps is perceived low, even though the overwhelming majority of non-game apps are just website mini-apps. Since the TouchPad seems capable of hitting all the websites and working well on them, many apps are just not needed on webOS. If HP gets another update out there that can shave 30-40% of the time it takes to the run-time to interpret apps and finish accelerating all of the UI elements, then the whole speed thing will be history. The apps were starting to come when HP made the announcement. If this fire sale gets the developers going again, we'll continue to see webOS have more optimized apps than Honeycomb, at least for a while.

Oh...and newsflash for the new Android fans...this is a webOS site. While I personally don't care if you wipe your device to go backwards all in the quest for more fart apps, I don't think all that many on this forum care.
    Hmm farts apps do sound cool or maybe

Netflix
    Pulse news
    Hulu
    Document editing
    Read it later
    NPR
    comics
    cnn
    untitled likes this.
    I thought that there were already lots of $100 dollar Android tablets. If not, there will be soon. I've used every flavor of Android that exists and after using a Touchpad with WebOS I could not see why in a million years anyone would want Android on it. To each their own but what an unappealing idea.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Compare the $100 Android tablets to the $100 TouchPad. The TouchPad is awesome. $100 Android tablets are probably not to-spec with the TouchPad. I mean, a Nook Color, which I say is inferior to the TouchPad, is $250, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Compare the $100 Android tablets to the $100 TouchPad. The TouchPad is awesome. $100 Android tablets are probably not to-spec with the TouchPad. I mean, a Nook Color, which I say is inferior to the TouchPad, is $250, right?
    Spec's wise yes the TP is better than the nook. The nook is more of an ereader and the touchpad is made to do more. Yet they do pretty much the same things with the TP winning unless you root the nook and throw gingerbread on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I thought that there were already lots of $100 dollar Android tablets.
    there are...the 'problem' is that those budget tablets use older generation processors and 2.x flavors of android, and had pretty crappy battery life.

it's pretty obvious why those that want to run android on something with modern spec'd hardware at such a low price flocked to purchase a TP over the weekend.

[and no, i am not an android fan...though i'm not opposed to any project that is looking to port android to the TP]
    Last edited by filmbuff; 08/21/2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    So... A couple of thoughts...

I had a Pre for about 9 months... had serious problems with the hardware failing... (mostly with the headphone jack, and had the screen crack out at least once...)

I've worked with WEBos between 1.x up through 2.1... I liked WEBos better than the Android OS... however, Android has a much wider adoption, and a significantly larger dev base. I bought a TouchPad... because I wanted to use it for highly portable computing... I'll be glad to run WEBos... however, I'd be very happy to run Android on it as well...
    Last edited by scifan; 08/21/2011 at 09:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Hmm farts apps do sound cool or maybe

Netflix
    Pulse news
    Hulu
    Document editing
    Read it later
    NPR
    comics
    cnn
    Netflix? Valid.
    Pulse News? Never heard of it.
    Hulu? Works fine on TouchPad (websites rule, apps drool).
    Document editing? Do it now. What's your problem? Oh, and QuickOffice is under contract to bring a native Office editing app to the TouchPad for FREE (unlike the other platforms). Yes, I know it's not here, but Google Docs, TapNote, Typewriter Beta...
    Read it Later? Not familiar.
    NPR? Government propaganda is fully available on their website or through news readers.
    Comics? Meh. But valid.
    CNN? Website.

Most of these apps are just website content aggregators, which is my point.
    IGNTNUNLMTD and 11B1P like this.
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast