Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    I wouldn't mind if there able to dual-boot this
    Maybe the 'port Android to TP' guys will stop halfway in their efforts and say... 'waiiit a minute... we should be porting webOS TO Android tablets instead!'
    11B1P, falconrap and sweaner like this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I just wanted to pass along the good information. If I had an iphone and someone could figure out a way for me to dual boot android on it so I could choose which one I wanted depending on my mood I would be happy to hear about it because I like options.

If you don't like reading about the possibilities of porting android on a touchpad in a touchpad forum then by all means don't click on the thread. Problem solved
    koolkid09 likes this.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Amusing how up until Saturday, it was all "the hardware sucks, that's why every WebOS device failed," and now it's "ZOMG, Android will run so awesome on that hardware!"

Seems more like it was the *price* of the hardware that sucked...
    Bodob and untitled like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Amusing how up until Saturday, it was all "the hardware sucks, that's why every WebOS device failed," and now it's "ZOMG, Android will run so awesome on that hardware!"

The Hardware still sucks. A couple of people just want a cheap android Tablet.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    What we all mean to say is:

Great, people have an alternative now. But please, this is a webOS site. This week has shook the community and now we're seeing people buy dozens of Palm TouchPad's to put Android on it?
    Exactly.

To be fair however, some people here may not realize yet that they're inside a webOS community, and were only here because they wanted some info about their new TouchPad.

In fact, I didn't even really realize that this forum is more webOS (OS) instead of TouchPad (hardware), until I read the first page of this thread and amazed at how harsh some of the responses are. As a (potential) new owner of a slick hardware, there's nothing but good thing about the news posted in the OP, why are people so angry? Then I got myself to look up and read the title and instantly understood why.

When I realized that I got the chance to get the TP, guess what I did first thing? Naturally, I googled "touchpad forum" and of course this forum (this exact one, not the precentral.net forum homepage) came out #1, so I clicked, look around for five seconds, and registered.

So I guess we're just going to have to understand where everybody else are coming from. Owners of new TPs should realize that this is webOS community that we're invading, and they do have the info we're looking for, but please consider their feeling when you're posting something. They just found out a few days ago that the future of webOS is uncertain. In the meantime, the veterans here may also want to think of the possibility that a lot of new members here simply didn't really know what this place is about
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    To be fair "true" webos fans most likely got thier product on launch day.
    Absolutely not. Maybe the rich ones, but many of us normal fans waited until a more affordable price was available.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    The Hardware still sucks. A couple of people just want a cheap android Tablet.
    The hardware sucks... huh? Did you know that the chip that is in the touchpad is also used in the Evo 3d? I guess that hardware sucks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soorma View Post
    What we all mean to say is:

Great, people have an alternative now. But please, this is a webOS site. This week has shook the community and now we're seeing people buy dozens of Palm TouchPad's to put Android on it?

Please, before you go for Android, try out webOS. Give it a week, try everything out. There is something in webOS that only people that use it can see. Please do
    Totally agree. I've only used android 2.2 (and hated it royally) so I can't comment on more recent versions, though i have used an iPad for a solid couple of hours and just kept on getting completely lost. Once you've spent the hour or so getting to know webos you will NEVER want to go back.

Now, what I *think* people are saying here is not so much that they want to run Android in a window, but more that they want access to the android market and would suffer some kind of emulator just to get apps. I certainly sympathise.

While that (I'm fairly sure) isn't possible, I have seen comments from developers thinking about porting their apps over having seen the buying frenzy (which alas hasn't hit europe).

Any newbies: you have an excellent browser, email and other communication apps and a lot more besides. There are a few good apps, though not a huge amount I concede, but just use webos for a few day and just see.
    Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Well I can't speak for anybody else but to me personally it's always been about the price. Anything I can't afford = sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Great. Now all the Android-fans will try to buy a Touchpad as well and leave none for the true webOS fans... Dislike.
    yep, webos will fold.

the developers and homebrew community are the heart behind webos, but is it enough?

i bought a pre on day one, kept the phone for over two years and loved it. i was so disappointed when hp announced an uninspired hardware lineup. i went android 2 days later. yes, its a terrible UI. the apps are great. i love the live wallpapers. and cyanogenmod is the *****.

so yeah, i encourage ANYONE to do MORE with the touchpad hardware. there are going to be a ton of disappointed people who bought the touchpad at a discounted price if webos fails. i dont want to be one who risks that, i encourage anyone to port anything over to this. i'll root for android, or windows 7. i dont care.

exciting times ahead!
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagbug View Post
    I hope it will be available soon. I just bought 4 Touchpad for that reason.

How could HP choose WebOS over Android ! It is slow, it lags, the UI is terrible and the market is empty !
    So, you've had your Touchpad for what? A couple days now and you're knowledgeable enough on webOS to make comments about how the os runs? Have you even updated the os? Why don't you give it a week or two and then come back and comment.

As far as the market? What, you need 50 different fart apps? You're going to install 5,000 apps and use all of them routinely? No, you going to install a handful of apps that you use on a regular basis. Guess what, we don't need 50 different apps that do the same thing. The webOS market is stocked full of quality apps. That beats multiple, redundant apps any day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I agree. I think the haters never gave android a chance. Things are so slow on the touchpad. It reminds me of a launch day pre and I even got a TMC error. The apps on android are also superior. Most touchpad apps were made by bedroom programmers. I am not saying that is a bad thing but Webos needs some support from big companies.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Dude, on your second sentence, seriously? You honestly think that? You think that in the 9 months or so that the Xoom and 7 inch Galaxy Tabs were out no one on this site actually tried one? I have a 7 inch Android tablet I bought before the Touchpad. I used it for 6 straight months. Then I bought a Touchpad. I hate it when Android and iOS folks think they everyone else lives in a cave or are so die hard that we wouldn't try anything else. That sort of thinking is just plain stupid.

After watching the HP earnings call, I pulled it out, updated it, did a lot of tweaks to it, and installed some new (although free) apps on it. Guess what. I still prefer webOS to it. Android is not there yet. However, if webOS dies where do the users go? Do you think we will die with it? No we will move on to Android or iOS. However, given a choice I will chose a healthy and vibrant webOS over those two any day of the week.

BTW, after I told my wife about the firesale and I confirmed that Best Buy would give me a refund on the price, my wife told me to buy a Touchpad for her. She wanted one before and she still wanted one even after HP decided to abandon it. I now have two Touchpads. My daughter has the Android tablet.

If HP doesn't work things out with webOS soon, I will dual boot Android on it. Right now I'm staying with webOS until the lights get turned off.
    spikea4 likes this.
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    So, you've had your Touchpad for what? A couple days now and you're knowledgeable enough on webOS to make comments about how the os runs? Have you even updated the os? Why don't you give it a week or two and then come back and comment.

As far as the market? What, you need 50 different fart apps? You're going to install 5,000 apps and use all of them routinely? No, you going to install a handful of apps that you use on a regular basis. Guess what, we don't need 50 different apps that do the same thing. The webOS market is stocked full of quality apps. That beats multiple, redundant apps any day of the week.
    I agree with most of what you said. But, the quality apps are not there either, and I own a pixi plus and touchpad, but find me a sports tap scores app, or any other sports scores app that doesn't cost money?
    Global Posts
    2,152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I can barely do anything on the touchpad. Kindle is extremely buggy, some webpages don't work, device is laggy, and no worth while apps. The pdf app is also horrible. I had a palm pre before so I am familiar with Webos. I also can't use man messenger and the windows live website does not work. What exactly am I missing?
    Have you bothered to install the update? You can barely do anything on your TP? Kindle is buggy? Really?? I don't have any of those problems, but I guess I got one of the better TPs......

Man messenger? What is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    The hardware sucks... huh? Did you know that the chip that is in the touchpad is also used in the Evo 3d? I guess that hardware sucks too.
    I wish that were true, but all i hear from them is "apps apps apps apps!"
    Just to clarify: we're not trying be harsh on anyone.

It's just sad to see where our webOS is heading
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffyen View Post
    Maybe the 'port Android to TP' guys will stop halfway in their efforts and say... 'waiiit a minute... we should be porting webOS TO Android tablets instead!'
    YES! You got it right. It strikes me that this effort is exactly backwards. It's like the Simpson's episode where Homer hopes a cat-dog crossbreed has the loyalty of a cat and the cleanliness of a dog.

It's the Pre, Veer, and TouchPad that are going away, not webOS. Getting webOS onto better hardware should be the Holy Grail.
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    callmechewy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheX-Man View Post
    I wish that were true, but all i hear from them is "apps apps apps apps!"
    It is true, they run on the same hardware. They both use the exact same Qualcom chip. You can google it for yourself if you have doubts. I too would like to have more apps but I only need a select few to make me happy.
    hope all the android fans get sucked in to webOS because this ported stuff just out right sux for us tru webOS fans that paid full price and then got bent over by hp
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast