Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 327
Like Tree262Likes
  1. #21  
    Yeah, it is good to have the choice and I welcome their ambitions. I just say it's bad enough that many people just buy them to resell them on ebay etc. I hate such egoistic behaviour.

    Quite a few people didn't buy Touchpads because they waited for the UMTS version
  2. #22  
    As cool as this is, id rather see some people more dedicated to makeing WebOS apps.
    Soorma, 11B1P, DD007 and 1 others like this.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    Great. Now all the Android-fans will try to buy a Touchpad as well and leave none for the true webOS fans... Dislike.
    There are already none left for the true webOS fans. between people who want to put android on it, and bargain hunters who would buy anything thats cheap, to profiteering resellers (just look at ebay and craigslist), to people who where asking bestbuy employees for the hp ipad, to people who bought a bunch for their kids, and those who say screw it a $99 webbrowser/ereader/angrybirds player. why not?, to everyone else who is taking advantage of this bad situation. there are really none left for real webos fans.

    now i am not hating on anyone who got one that did not already have webos. Im sure there are plenty of those who actually looked at the touchpad before all this and did a little research on webos and its benefits and shortcomings, who could not pull the trigger until they saw a firesale price like this. I welcome them to the webos community.

    and i highly doubt that this is a good thing for app developers as many may say because the majority of those who got touchpads over the weekend probably wont buy any paid apps, the touchpad is more than enough for them as it is right out of the box for the price they paid.
    un_designer likes this.
  4. #24  
    I hope this also fails. If I wanted android on my touchpad I would of BOUGHT an android tablet. Jeez..

    WebOS is still better then honeycomb.

    -Toaster
    Soorma, 11B1P, DD007 and 1 others like this.
  5. #25  
    Gingerbread is not a tablet OS. It was designed for phones, while Honeycomb is the tablet version of Android, so this will look rough on a 10" tablet.

    While I'm all for the effort, webOS 3 and the builtin apps of the TouchPad are light years ahead of Android apps in terms of ease of use and aesthetics (has anyone ever seen the stock AOSP Android apps for Gmail and Messaging? They're simple and ugly as sin). For that reason, I would want to have dual boot. For 99% of what I use a tablet for (web browsing, emails, photos, videos) I'll use webOS. For the 1% of the time I need to use a dedicated app in Android (or more likely a new game that isn't on webOS) then I'll boot into Android.
    Last edited by onlinespending; 08/21/2011 at 03:45 PM.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by onlinespending View Post
    Gingerbread is not a tablet OS. It was designed for phones, while Honeycomb is the tablet version of Android, so this will look rough on a 10" tablet.

    While I'm all for the effort, webOS 3 and the builtin apps of the TouchPad are light years ahead of Android apps in terms of ease of use and aesthetics (has anyone ever seen the stock AOSP Android apps for Gmail and Messaging? They're simple and ugly as sin). For that reason, I would want to have dual boot. For 99% of what I use a tablet for (web browsing, emails, photos, videos) I'll use webOS. For the 1% of the time I need to a dedicated app in Android (or more likely a new game that isn't on webOS) then I'll boot into Android.
    You must mean Email as im looking at gmail and it isn't ugly.
  7. #27  
    I like the idea, in case webos is truly dead, though I hope it isnt. We wont know for a couple of months probably so Im not too worried.
    @agentmock

    Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  8. #28  
    They should also try porting ChromeOS.
    untitled likes this.
  9. Newcron's Avatar
    Posts
    60 Posts
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by ceveret3 View Post
    I hope it they succeed in doing this they let android run in a card or dual boot. Not wipe Webos. People need to see webos and see what they has been missing all these years. I bet if Webos is the main OS some will boot android and other wouldn't really care.
    I'm only getting the TP because it's cheap, yes, but I'm also curious about what the fuss webOS is all about, and I would never just wipe it right away without seriously giving it a run.

    This is good news OP, but I guess this forum is not exactly the right place for it. If you look up near the header, you'll see that this is a 'webOS' instead of the 'TouchPad' community forums. With everything that has been happening to the webOS community in the past week, I can understand the bitterness of some regular members here toward this kind of news.

    Just my 0.02
    Xethur, Soorma and spikea4 like this.
  10. #30  
    Replacing webOS 3.0 with Gingerbread doesn't excite me at all but I understand the ambition to make it happen.
    un_designer likes this.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by methods View Post
    If I wanted an android tablet I would've gotten a Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Yep. Enthusiasm about this is hard for me to understand.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    un_designer likes this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    They should also try porting ChromeOS.
    Seriously?

    I mean, I can fully understand wanting to put Android on there, and if they are able to get it done, more power to them.

    But ChromeOS? What's the point? I mean, first, does anyone actually use ChromeOS? Secondly, last I checked, ChromeOS doesn't support the touchscreen and is designed around the keyboard and mouse And last, you want to go from a dying OS with few native applications and a lot of web-based ones to a OS that has no native applications and is almost literally only a web browser? Might as well just stick with webOS if you want that.
    un_designer likes this.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Seriously?

    I mean, I can fully understand wanting to put Android on there, and if they are able to get it done, more power to them.

    But ChromeOS? What's the point? I mean, first, does anyone actually use ChromeOS? Secondly, last I checked, ChromeOS doesn't support the touchscreen and is designed around the keyboard and mouse And last, you want to go from a dying OS with few native applications and a lot of web-based ones to a OS that has no native applications and is almost literally only a web browser? Might as well just stick with webOS if you want that.
    Well chromeOS can edit documents so that is a start.
    slbailey1 and ctuna like this.
  14. #34  
    Hilarious... the main reason why I like the touchpad is because of the OS. Plus, with all the new webos users, we have a glimmer of hope for the future of webos.
    11B1P, Bodob, sweaner and 1 others like this.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Well chromeOS can edit documents so that is a start.
    This!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Think about it the Touchpad could become the HD2 of Tablets.
    Oh that would be so FRAKKIN' awesome.
  17. #37  
    The thought of Android in any flavor on a Tp is quite nauseating.

    I have an EVO 3D and the OS is so backwards its amazing that they sell the way they do
    11B1P, Bodob, falconrap and 1 others like this.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    I hope this also fails. If I wanted android on my touchpad I would of BOUGHT an android tablet. Jeez..
    But jeez... why do you hope this fails? Does it hurt your experience any? There's no reason to believe you'll be getting any additional updates or bug fixes for your unit, nor much app development either, and if the port is successful it may in the end be something you even find desirable.

    I prefer WebOS too, though now just having bought a Demo unit that won't activate - SN apparently disabled for webos profile activation - I'm certainly interested in it since I don't know if HP will keep my unit disabled or not. Even if I get mine working and find the pros of running an unsupported OS outweigh the cons, there's no reason to wish ill on those that want to run some other OS on their machine.
  19. #39  
    While I understand you guys mot wanting TouchPad to be muddled with Android (I generally dislike it too) it seems like the current state of webOS don't bode particularly well for the future. I'd darn well appreciate the option and welcome each and every support homebrew community is giving TouchPad whether it be improving the webOS or porting an alternative.
    P.S. webOS autocorrect is not the best I've used.
    Last edited by dong1225; 08/21/2011 at 04:45 PM.
    peterlemonjello likes this.
  20. #40  
    How dare someone try to give the TouchPad a future!
    koolkid09 likes this.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions