Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I'm using swype at the moment and I can assure you that I can you're faster on TP. Honeycomb has 297 apps after 1 year, TP has more than 400 in only 8 weeks.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    ROFL Twist it whatever way you like...

You are going to count all apps for TP (including non-optimized) but only count optimized for Honeycomb? Most android apps work fine on tablets. You obviously have never tried...

BTW, have you tried to buy an app from your desktop for WebOS, oh that's right you can't... You can in the Amazon app store. (Think discounted, (free) apps.)

The TP is a great device, but it is not mature, and it doesn't have the support. Dual boot is a great solution.

Or you could be fanatical and "wait" for the apps you need...
    Last edited by mikesus; 09/04/2011 at 10:32 AM.
    Like it, hate it, ******, non-******, it doesn't matter.

Improving the functionality and expanding the horizons of a piece of hardware you already own = awesome.

If you don't want to use android I fully understand. Don't. That doesn't mean plenty of people won't see things differently, and having that choice is awesome. Why poo poo something that genuinely adds to your hardware potential? This argument is like someone telling people that overclocking an I7 is stupid because the processor is already awesome. Sure, it is awesome, and overclocking it makes it more awesome.

So pry yourself off your OS love-embrace and realize that these advances are a net positive. Hell, this sort of effort MIGHT even lead to android programs running inside webOS itself (perhaps card-based android). I'm geeked about the prospects.
    WebOS is very restricted in what you can actually do...It is glitchy and lacks features. There is no way you can even place it in the same category as Apple or Google at this point in time.

It is a nice OS for someone who is computer illiterate and wants the very basic of what a Tablet can offer. As for someone who wants a little more (apps, advanced features, etc) Android is a far better choice.

I am actually surprised some people are defending WebOS, I see nothing extravagant about it so far. If I had to summarise this OS I would say "glitchy, restricted and barely has apps".

Can't wait to see a stable Android OS for the touchpad!
    That's complete wrong. I'm sorry but there is no reason to replace sn awesome keyboard and TP has more apps than honeycomb of course so I guess there are more games too.

The only thing that is true the browser .nI

Edit: webOS doesn't need task manager...

The TP keyboard blows compared to the Swiftkey X I'm running on my HTC Inc.
    Jameson42 likes this.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Horrbile battery life, a worse browser :-) I like Android but 2.3 on a tablet is not going to be a great experience. I personally love webs so far, but until they get honeycomb or ICS on the touchpad it's just not worth it IMO.

Can you tell me what can Android offer that webOS can't ?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post
    WebOS is very restricted in what you can actually do...It is glitchy and lacks features. There is no way you can even place it in the same category as Apple or Google at this point in time.

It is a nice OS for someone who is computer illiterate and wants the very basic of what a Tablet can offer. As for someone who wants a little more (apps, advanced features, etc) Android is a far better choice.

I am actually surprised some people are defending WebOS, I see nothing extravagant about it so far. If I had to summarise this OS I would say "glitchy, restricted and barely has apps".

really?? Computer illiterate, webOS restricted, clearly you are a webOS expert and high up in IT, guessing we should take this post as fact.

since you are posting factual information, please educate the rest of us as to the "restrictions" of webOS
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

people are defending webOS because it is a hell of a lot more pleasant to use than android, with a superior UI. most of us have sampled android in some way or another and still decided against it. also, saying webOS is nice for the computer illiterate is not entirely accurate. in fact it is not accurate at all. have you seen our homebrew community?
    Jawbox likes this.
    restriction defined: The limitation or control of someone or something, or the state of being limited or restricted

1) lack of apps
    2) lack of advanced features such as tethering (since no 3g or 4g support)
    3) lack of over lan sharing (such as file transfer from pc)
    4) lack of printer support
    5) tedious copy/past/select (doesn't always work)
    6) limited apps features (ie facebook, Skype video)

Played with it for a week now so not sure if there is more...Not saying its a bad OS only that it is far inferior to Android IMO at this point in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    people are defending webOS because it is a hell of a lot more pleasant to use than android, with a superior UI. most of us have sampled android in some way or another and still decided against it. also, saying webOS is nice for the computer illiterate is not entirely accurate. in fact it is not accurate at all. have you seen our homebrew community?
    Well, I think its safe to say that this is wrong. Its not more pleasant that android, its just different. But not with a superior UI by any means.

There's a difference between using Android and sampling it. I don't have to make android work on a daily basis. Once I have my settings customized to me, I'm good to go. I have to constantly reboot webOS and have a VERY limited platform to work with. The fact there is a homebrew community means nothing. Those communities exist on all platforms. The homebrew community is the ONLY reason why its bearable at all.
    Last edited by Demiroquai; 09/04/2011 at 11:09 AM.
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    mikesus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    Whats the point with downgrading the OS?
    It'll be dual boot, so you'll have both OSs on your device. I want to do many things on my device with apps available on android's market place right now.

plus the cyanogenmod browsers optimized pretty good and will get the latest features from ice cream sandwich + the latest flash plugins available on every upgrade
    TurboTronix likes this.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    We don't need any haters...most mobile devices owe respect to webOS bc it was the originator and foundation... So thank you to those who do so.

I'm not a fandroid but until webOS market can gain enuf profitable followers I look forward to things like live wallpaper n apps I like that are currently made only for ios or android
    Last edited by Erykah; 09/04/2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add
    restriction defined: The limitation or control of someone or something, or the state of being limited or restricted

1) lack of apps
    2) lack of advanced features such as tethering (since no 3g or 4g support)
    3) lack of over lan sharing (such as file transfer from pc)
    4) lack of printer support
    5) tedious copy/past/select (doesn't always work)
    6) limited apps features (ie facebook, Skype video)

Played with it for a week now so not sure if there is more...Not saying its a bad OS only that it is far inferior to Android IMO at this point in time.
    funny, I mean I know you are the expert and all.

1- restricted is not defined by lack of apps, also nobody said webOS has the most apps. Palm is not restricting apps, sorry just using the word you choose in its proper defenition.

2- I tether with my phone, that is a limitation of your phone not the TP

3- I used my lan Friday night to transfer a patch to my TP

4- comes with built in printer support, does not support all printers, so far in other threads about this, noone has been able to come up with a tablet that supports all printers

5- the copy and paste works fine, its a feature you have to learn, just like any other device implementation... To add to that, I would like to see the keyboard shortcuts implemented for the TP like they are on webOS phones.

6- once again, limited apps features is not specific, I don't use Skype but the FB integration is pretty great
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    Android apps scale well on honeycomb so there are tons of apps. People are still getting too many card errors with nothing open on the touchpad.
    i have had a TP for longer than most in this thread (maybe all), never seen a TMC, only seen 1 that I can remember on my Veer.
    Can you tell me what can Android offer that webOS can't ?

A operating system that actually works.

but besides that how about apps, widgets, auto re size to fit the screen, no lag, no lock ups,100% customizable home screen, fast boot ups
    Same here... I know that I and a couple of others have had the device for longer than anyone else on the site and have never experienced the TMC error once.
    Android does some things better than WebOS.

WebOS does some things better than android.

To say otherwise is being blind in your own fanboyism. There is nothing wrong with adding features to a device. Just because you don't need it doesn't mean its worthless
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
    A operating system that actually works.

but besides that how about apps, widgets, auto re size to fit the screen, no lag, no lock ups,100% customizable home screen, fast boot ups
    wait, are you claiming android as an OS guarantees this?

because we all know your post is not true for all android devices
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    My EVO 3d has the same specs as the touchpad and runs circles around it in every way. The phone is actually has plenty more features and even comes with a fully functional office suite, apps open without delay, full feature browser and i can go on and on.

Webos is nice in theory but they never got it working right.
    but the evo 3d is not every android device, can we agree it is a high end android device at the least? We can also then agree that the evo 3D does not represent the vast majority of android devices. I know you are not stupid, so why do you insist on responding to my post while not actually addressing it? You know your original post about android did not mention a specific device, and my post was following up on the overall android function, not the specific device you now mentioned.

regardless, I will take webOS over my experiences with iOS and android
    Its not the hardware in the hp tablet its the horrendous coding in webos. The hardware specs are pretty good. Yes when android first came out there was lag but android fixed that issue in a very very short time and now it doesn't lag, at least on the Toshiba Thrive, Samsung Galaxy Tab and the Asus Transformer.
    A good example: I have the original Dinc android phone from Verizon and it is rooted. I am running a HTC gingerbread/Sense 3.0 rom with absolutely No lag, no fc's and no lock ups. HTC said it would never run on a single core cpu because of the heavy cpu requirements. Just tweak the code and watch it run non stop. Like I said its all in the coding.
    Wait and see how well android runs on the TP when the dev's get done.
    As far as the TP hardware, I really like it and shows some promise with a optimized OS.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If the TP had a good VNC and RDP client I wouldn't need to do anything but there really isn't anything out there and I doubt any Dev will step up, at least for a RDP client.

Android on the other hand has many VNC/RDP clients and an editable word processor.
    This

The Cisco Anyconnect works GREAT I just can't do ANYTHING once I am connected...