Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Can't wait for android dual boot even if its just 2.3. I have a 2.3 custom rom on my phone (gingervillain) and it is great.
    I can't understand people saying it is a bad thing ! You are getting extended functionality (for free) that was never intended for the device. WebOS is great but Android is also great in it's own ways.

Give it a chance.
    Xda will get a full port, im sure of it. they have a $3000 dollar prize for the first one who has a stable/usable port. you can find just about any app for android and side load it, you just need to look for the .apk version of the app you want, and if you dont find, just ask someone at xda to rip one for you. its rather easy to get any app you want.

that is one of my biggest beef's with webos, the huge lack of apps for the tablet. i noticed some apps likes games in prewire but found out they are for phones.

re sizable cards would be great. It would be nice to make the cards about 1/4 screen size and then be able to put 4 cards per screen
    I guess everyone has a preference and my problems with Android relate specifically to all that has to be done from so many different interfaces and lack of experience. If this is all I knew, maybe Android and IOS would appeal to me, but then this why I like webOS.

Actually, Android has come a long long way since the early days, but things I expect it to do...like playback M4V video files without me having to do anything extra in Gingerbread did not happen. For me, besides maybe a clock widget I don't find these very useful, but then at least you have the option and can turn them off if you don't want them.

Yes the big bonus of Android is the APPS!!! HBO2GO, Banking, Entertainment, and whatever would be welcome and why I keep dual-booting Android as a solid possibility for my TP.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Have to disagree on that one. Android can be as simple as iOS/webOS or you can customize it to your needs. An app drawer is an app drawer plain and simple. Hit the app drawer button and select the app you want. Press and hold the home key to multitask through apps. Granted the multitasking isn't as slick as webOS, but it's far from "complicated". You don't even have to use widgets, and you can just press and hold on an icon in the app drawer and put it on a home screen if you want quicker access to an app. That's too complicated for the average person? Wow...

The only reason I'd want Android is for a few apps like sugarsync (real cloud syncing) and a real Office editor. Very underwhelmed by QuickOffice. The effort by them seems very half hearted. Would rather spend the $10 on Picsel when it comes to webOS. Also like HBOtoGo, a real ebay app (paying for one when ebay takes too much already? no thanks), better browser options, my banking sites, an agenda widget (wallpaper in webOS, not an app) and possibly a few others I can't recall at the moment.
    I agree almost completely, but from my experience tablet apps on Android are not popping up everywhere yet and most things on their platform are still Mobile specific??? Hopefully this is changing soon and I'm sure with Android becoming more popular the Apps will come. Sorli...

Quote Originally Posted by Hitch_Itch View Post
    that is one of my biggest beef's with webos, the huge lack of apps for the tablet. i noticed some apps likes games in prewire but found out they are for phones. Re sizable cards would be great. It would be nice to make the cards about 1/4 screen size and then be able to put 4 cards per screen
    There's way too much misinformation on these forums about Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    but things I expect it to do...like playback M4V video files without me having to do anything extra in Gingerbread did not happen. Sorli...
    maybe its been a while since you checked, they have a app that no matter what your format is it will play it automatically. I dont usually play video, so i dont remember the name of it but I can find out pretty easy if you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
    Sorry is this 3.x or 2.x I had a Xoom and the browser on that was pants, kept force closing on me.

The TP browser needs some love but it is far more stable than honeycomb's was for me.

Barry
    Agreed. I have several Android tablets and an iPad, and I'd put the Touchpad browser second with the Android ones a very distant third.

Opera is very nice on both Android and iPad, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    Can't wait for android dual boot even if its just 2.3. I have a 2.3 custom rom on my phone (gingervillain) and it is great.
    I can't understand people saying it is a bad thing ! You are getting extended functionality (for free) that was never intended for the device. WebOS is great but Android is also great in it's own ways.

Give it a chance.
    You haven't had the kool aid yet.

Very excited about Android. Hoping the dual boot option works out and get the best of both worlds.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I was surprised that they couldn't get the touch screen working earlier, I thought the dump from the 2.2 would have it?
    Can you tell me what can Android offer that webOS can't ?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post

LOTS of apps.

I have both and while I really enjoy the notifications on WEBOS, I can't get my corp email (using good reader), can't do anything once I am VPN'd in (RDP client) and can't connect bluetooth to audio devices (external speakers, car etc)

No one is saying WebOS sucks, we are saying it doesn't do everything we need it to.

Apps. Lots and lots of apps.
    Just been reading about the Adreno 220 GPU in the touchpad, which apparently has more power than the nvidia gpu's that most androids use now. So assuming we get android market, we should also get access to a load of graphically rich games !

Link to comparison between GPU's:
    The Adreno GPU: An AMD Bloodline : HP TouchPad Review: A Tablet For Productivity?
    If we were rating webos to android based totally on visual appearance, android wins hands down, it would be like comparing apples to oranges. actually, every other os has more eye candy then webos. I webos you basically have two options, and blank home screen or a home screen 90% filled with cards.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts

A browser that works, apps.

Take a simple example where the two overlap - Evernote.

On the touchpad, you either use an app intended for a phone in a little window or you use the web version - and the browser doesn't render it properly, things don't scroll. So even in the house, if I want a bit of information from evernote, it's quicker and easier to get my cheapo phone than try and use the web version on my touchpad.

Dual-boot Android would be great for that reason alone.

Oh and better dropbox support.
    Last edited by CGK; 09/04/2011 at 09:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesus View Post
    LOTS of apps.

I have both and while I really enjoy the notifications on WEBOS, I can't get my corp email (using good reader), can't do anything once I am VPN'd in (RDP client) and can't connect bluetooth to audio devices (external speakers, car etc)

No one is saying WebOS sucks, we are saying it doesn't do everything we need it to.
    I knew that the only thing that anyone could say is apps. But apps are coming too. Between the lack of apps that is temporary and a non native android port for gingerbread and not honeycomb that might cause more problems I'd choose webOS. Ok that's my opinion of course. But I'd love to hear what apps for tablets does android have that webOS doesn't

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Everyone is saying tons of apps in response to this question. This is true. But don't think if the stupid apps, think of the awesome ones:

How about an alternative keyboard, or better yet, a dozen of them. You choice of browsers, ultimate task control (look up Tasker), awesome games (including Tegra games) and that's just the start.

I myself would maybe wait until there is a more tablet friendly android available (2.3 is good but only eh for tablets), but I'm excited that a dual boot is possible. Trust me, it's a good thing this is happening.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    Everyone is saying tons of apps in response to this question. This is true. But don't think if the stupid apps, think of the awesome ones:

How about an alternative keyboard, or better yet, a dozen of them. You choice of browsers, ultimate task control (look up Tasker), awesome games (including Tegra games) and that's just the start.

I myself would maybe wait until there is a more tablet friendly android available (2.3 is good but only eh for tablets), but I'm excited that a dual boot is possible. Trust me, it's a good thing this is happening.
    That's complete wrong. I'm sorry but there is no reason to replace sn awesome keyboard and TP has more apps than honeycomb of course so I guess there are more games too.

The only thing that is true the browser .nI

Edit: webOS doesn't need task manager...

Last edited by viper151; 09/04/2011 at 09:24 AM.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts

Netflix!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Can you post where you see this. I only see where they say touch screen is not working.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I knew that the only thing that anyone could say is apps. But apps are coming too. Between the lack of apps that is temporary and a non native android port for gingerbread and not honeycomb that might cause more problems I'd choose webOS. Ok that's my opinion of course. But I'd love to hear what apps for tablets does android have that webOS doesn't

So, using that logic, I should "just wait" because its "coming soon"? I need those apps today. Not a promise that someone might get around to doing something eventually. Until it answers those needs, it is a toy, not a device to be used in a corporate setting.

I know you are going to comeback with Citrix. Try it. It doesn't work.