Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast
Like Tree262Likes
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    The thought of putting Android on my Touchpad gives me a bad case of nausea. If people want to install Android, Chrome, Ubuntu, Windows, etc., have it but I rather not see this forum touting for it.
    If the TP had a good VNC and RDP client I wouldn't need to do anything but there really isn't anything out there and I doubt any Dev will step up, at least for a RDP client.

Android on the other hand has many VNC/RDP clients and an editable word processor.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    The word processing issue should be fixed this coming week according to other announcements.

No one has taken up a real RDP/VNC client when we were limited to 3.1 inch screens on the phones. I can kind of understand why. I expect that will change with a bunch of larger devices out there now.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Android on the other hand has many VNC/RDP clients and an editable word processor.
    24 hours later, editable word processor is now available for download/update.

Go into software manager and grab the QuickOffice update!
    LurkerX,
    The editable word has been years in the making with the initial company quitting. Other then saving in Word format can't do much more then Memo and doesn't have any spell check, not even the native webOS (which Memo does have). The Android port, something just as complicated took only weeks for a port that boots up.
    I'm with you, deesugar. Anyone who has ever used DocsToGo, Pages, or even QuickOffice on another platform, will attest to just how embarrassingly basic the webOS version is.

Editing is about all it can do.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Your right Deesugar. They do this, focus on PROFIT now, and lose sight of long term. That causes them to produce cheap products, provide lousy support and customer service, and go down the tubes. I really feel that it's major stock holders who do this mostly. They just want MONEY NOW, could care less about the company; if a company doesn't produce MONEY in their pocket, they just move on to another company; no loyalty but to their wallets. Being motivated to make money is fine, but there is a point where it isn't good in the long run.
    Just came across this on engadget.......another one that the touchscreen doesn't work but for those interested in porting android looks like good things are coming to those who wait.....

Team-Touchdroid dual boots Android on TouchPad -- touchscreen not included -- Engadget
    I gotta admit, the dual-boot option is appealing. After just a day I'm very impressed by webOS, and I've never liked Android – I was driven to it when Microsoft abandoned the old Windows Mobile – but there are many apps that I'm missing.

I really kinda hate Android, but the app catalog there is impressive.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Porting over android doesn't mean their app store will work.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    geeksquadkid and Mac.World like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Bingo. I have Android on my iPad2 via Dreamboard, but I don't have access to the Android App Store. The new Amazon tablet will be based on Google's Froyo 2.2, but won't have access to the Android App Store.

I hope this is not the case with the Touchpad. I want my Touchpad to be fully Android capable, specifically for the App store and of course to customize the crap out of it.
    True so true, but then the Android Marketplace wasn't available on my Nook Color till after I rooted it and recently installed the latest Cyanogenmod 7 mod that opened a huge door for that platform. Now my wife has Overdrive, Netflix, etc...that Barnes and Noble were never planning to provide.

To be honest, I think Android (Gingerbread and Honeycomb) are pretty ugly OS wise and the interface for me is simply too complicated to be useful for the average person. This doesn't negate the benefit having both webOS and Android OS on my TouchPad will provide. Right now, webOS is perfect for me, but who in heck knows what HP plans to do with their baby. Sorli...
    mysterfix and sweaner like this.
    When Android was ported to Windows Mobile phones, there were ROMs available that could access the market. I'm sure the same will happen here.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post
    Bingo. I have Android on my iPad2 via Dreamboard, but I don't have access to the Android App Store. The new Amazon tablet will be based on Google's Froyo 2.2, but won't have access to the Android App Store.

I hope this is not the case with the Touchpad. I want my Touchpad to be fully Android capable, specifically for the App store and of course to customize the crap out of it.
    ..... dreamboard is a theme manager. You have an android theme.

the iphone 3G can have android on it but it's not fully functional.

Would be great if we can dual boot with a fully functional android. We'll just have to wait and see. There's enough interest at least.
    Have to disagree on that one. Android can be as simple as iOS/webOS or you can customize it to your needs. An app drawer is an app drawer plain and simple. Hit the app drawer button and select the app you want. Press and hold the home key to multitask through apps. Granted the multitasking isn't as slick as webOS, but it's far from "complicated". You don't even have to use widgets, and you can just press and hold on an icon in the app drawer and put it on a home screen if you want quicker access to an app. That's too complicated for the average person? Wow...

The only reason I'd want Android is for a few apps like sugarsync (real cloud syncing) and a real Office editor. Very underwhelmed by QuickOffice. The effort by them seems very half hearted. Would rather spend the $10 on Picsel when it comes to webOS. Also like HBOtoGo, a real ebay app (paying for one when ebay takes too much already? no thanks), better browser options, my banking sites, an agenda widget (wallpaper in webOS, not an app) and possibly a few others I can't recall at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    To be honest, I think Android (Gingerbread and Honeycomb) are pretty ugly OS wise and the interface for me is simply too complicated to be useful for the average person. This doesn't negate the benefit having both webOS and Android OS on my TouchPad will provide. Right now, webOS is perfect for me, but who in heck knows what HP plans to do with their baby. Sorli...
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Good news, just saw on Rootzwiki that the the CM developers were able to make the touch screen work with Android on the touchpad. I'd imagine they would have the other drivers like wifi, etc from the 2 qualcomm android dumps provided, so when they get to enable multitouch and tweak the drivers; a dual os boot-loader won't be too far away. I can't wait to get android apps and better less buggy browser.

This might also support USB host mode without external power source to the upstream, would be even more awesome to connect external usbs directly with an otg cable like on the samsung galaxy s ii
    DemonHighwayman and cgk like this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Good to hear that to hear that they got the touchscreen drivers to work at last.

Their last video was great to watch but just needed those pesky drivers
    Sorry is this 3.x or 2.x I had a Xoom and the browser on that was pants, kept force closing on me.

The TP browser needs some love but it is far more stable than honeycomb's was for me.

Barry
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Whats the point with downgrading the OS?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G