Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    If I wanted Android on a tablet, I would have gotten a Galaxy tab, or for that matter- just gotten an iPad.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Android on the TouchPad seems pointless.

The ability to run webOS on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 chassis, though? Sign me up.
    frank-barnett likes this.
    This is great news for people who want more options and Operating Systems to play with. In linux, this is normal to see.

For those of you who do not want anything other than webOS on your device, then you have nothing to worry about. Just do nothing, webOS will still work, and our homebrew team will still put in their free time into the system.

Don't want android? Then don't worry about this. This isn't for you. No need to discourage others in looking forward or seeking out new options. Or simply playing around with the capabilities of hardware they paid for.

Remember, this is coming from someone who still uses a pre+ since release, and has a touchpad now. In other words, a webOS fan.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Don't get me wrong I love webos... but I also love choice... which I think we give up for the sake of having a tablet...

I plan to stay with Webos, but I am always tinkering
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
    Dipping my toe in the water tentatively here, as my Touchpad hasn't quite got here yet (sitting at a depot 20 miles away for the last three days), so "Hi, all", but with regard to the above:

Dual-booting to Android sounds like a good way to solve the PDF-rendering issues I'm reading about, which I hope to be one of my main uses for the device.

Spyke
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    Not everyone around here is excited as you are about Andriod on TP...
    Our Plan A is this "cool" guy with a Superman lunchbox.

I am not excited about Android but webOS, QNX, and iOS are closed source. Android is open source allowing homebrewers to do what Cyanogen is doing. Android is our only Plan B right now. I don't think Leo is going to give webOS as open source to webOS Internals. Look at his history.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Why would you need different varieties of fart applications(can't stand word "apps") on your TP? )
    I think most people are more interested in apps like those in the Appbrain All-time most popular Android Apps or the TechRadar Top 160 best Android apps 2011.

webOS already has plenty of fart and soundboard apps. Why would you want more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I donít see how anyone could be against the *option* of having another OS available on a gadget.

-Suntan
    The quote below is why some folks may be against booting other OS's. It's creating an artificial demand, that could end up being a long term and permanent demand. Those that want to run webOS are having a hard time getting their hands on devices and accessories.

Not saying right or wrong, just saying that is part of the reason those that want to run webOS would be against the option.

There is also the discussion, that every device running Android gives webOS developers less of a reason to develop and maintain apps. This would be another spot where having the option is going to hurt those that want to run webOS.

Quote Originally Posted by cbf123 View Post
    I got a TP on the firesale because it was cheap high-quality hardware. webOS is nice and all, but having the option to run Android is a bonus in case HP decides to trash webOS.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Would love to see Android run in a card like Ubuntu apparently does now. This would be nice to fill in the gaps/apps like netflix etc. Otherwise I hope to see more apps for native WebOS now that there is a larger pool of users.

I am liking this tablet more and more I play with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Why would you need different varieties of fart applications(can't stand word "apps") on your TP? )
    No, but wouldn't you like document editing?!? BTW, it has quietly gone unnoticed here on P|C but last week Richard Kerris said document editing would be here "This week".

HP misses yet another date...sheesh, they can't do anything right.

Too bad webOS is closed source and this would be against the law unless it was licensed from HP, but the other way is perfectly fine due to Android being open source.

What would HP gain from making webOS open source now? Even if they wanted to, HP does not own the underlying Palm patents.

HP has told their investors that they will not do anything that does not give them at least a 10% net ROI. If HP hangs on to the webOS patents that they can, they may end up being very valuable. If HP gives it away, how do they get the 10% ROI? That is why PSG is being flushed. It is only a net 5.9% ROI.

It is horrible to consider but long-term HP could actually come out smelling like roses if they throw what webOS patents they have into a vault.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/29/2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    It is horrible to consider but long-term HP could actually come out smelling like roses if they throw what webOS patents they have into a vault.
    Agreed it is horrible, but they could come out smelling like roses to their investors...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    If I wanted Android on a tablet, I would have gotten a Galaxy tab, or for that matter- just gotten an iPad.
    For $99? If you paid full price for your tablet, chances are you are a webOS fan and you have no desire to put Android on it. If you waited and paid $99 for it, chances are you don't give a crap about webOS, you just wanted a cheap, quality tablet. It's the latter that find the ability to load Android on it appealing. Opening up a $99 tablet to a new world of applications and continued development is not a bad thing.
    Look, I love WebOS but it's future as a viable operating system is not looking good. Gingerbread really bites compared to WebOS or Honeycomb but choice of available applications make a huge difference. I have a Nook Color with CyanogenMod7 on it that I'll probably keep at this point even though I have a new TouchPad since there are apps and games galore and hardly anything for the TouchPad (including Netflix).
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    For $99? If you paid full price for your tablet, chances are you are a webOS fan and you have no desire to put Android on it. If you waited and paid $99 for it, chances are you don't give a crap about webOS, you just wanted a cheap, quality tablet. It's the latter that find the ability to load Android on it appealing. Opening up a $99 tablet to a new world of applications and continued development is not a bad thing.
    I bought a 32 gig in July. 2 16 gigs and another 32 gig showed up at my house today. (long firesale weekend story there) I am at the very least keeping both 16 gigs.

Not everyone buying at $99/149 find the ability to load Android appealing. At $500 I couldn't justify buying a second for the wife (especially at the time still thinking we would see the 7 inch TP). At 99/149 it was worth it to try and get one for the wife and possibly an extra 1.

Quick Office update just dropped and PICSEL is going to be released in the next 45 days. I may still load Ubuntu, but I really don't see loading Android on any of the TouchPads.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not everyone buying at $99/149 find the ability to load Android appealing.
    Of course. But a majority of those people bought it because it was a $500 tablet marked to down to $99. If you told those people they could run Android on it, my guess is they'd be very interested.

The problem is that it is not going to be easy to install it, and the people who bought it because it was a bargain rather than because they are tech nerds are not going to know how to load Android on it. So really, the idea of this mass transition of TouchPads from webOS to Android is not likely to happen, so you all can rest easy.
    Bought mine 15 July full price. 24 August got my money back (price matched to fire sale prices) and just happened to be so lucky as to find another 32 just got put on the shelf and picked it up for my girlfriend, who has an Android phone.

I think choice is good, and both sides of argument are reasonable to me. I didn't buy mine to port Android, but from my playing around with her phone, there's a few apps I wouldn't mind having on my TouchPad.

I continue to support webOS developers when I can, but there's simply apps out there that either aren't available, or aren't being developed.

My favorite apps on her phone is Google Sky Maps, as well as the satellite tracker, and to be quite honest, I don't think either of those apps are coming anytime soon.
    The Varsity team decided to step in and show them how it's done.
    Rudementry likes this.
    The fact that they're doing a "dual-boot" is outstanding and MUCH BETTER than simply loading Android.

If they pull it off, I will basically use webOS for every day stuff, but have an Android app library sitting there for stuff that webOS doesn't have a good app for, or in case the lack of software updates catch up with webOS.

Can't wait!!!

As an OS interface though, webOS > Android. But as far as available apps, Android > webOS.
    A long time ago I was a diehard WebOS fan boy with my little launch day Sprint Pre. I couldn't stomach iOS or God forbid that new Android OS on the Motorola Droid that might threaten Palm's market share. Then one day my Pre was stolen (not metaphorically, it was literally stolen from me) and I got an Evo 4G. About a year later I'm now very satisfied with my Photon 4G and Android. In fact, I love Android, everything about it. Now that I have a Touchpad and I've come back to WebOS, I'm just in shock at the slowness of the OS. I thought it was just my old Palm Pre that was slow, but no, the Touchpad takes atleast 1-2 seconds to open up web browser. Whats up with that? Ok so it's only 2 seconds (other apps take much longer, try opening a pdf in under 15 seconds, it just took mine 17), but you know what? My Android phone is immediate. Ok so there's some hardware differences, but really you're looking at a dual core 1.5ghz tablet vs a dual core 1ghz phone, and the phone always comes out on top? And its not like I'm opening graphics intensive programs, which the higher pixel count on the TP could be to blame (besides qHD aint nothing to scoff at).

Anyway, sorry that rant was kind of random, what I'm trying to say is I'd like Android on my tablet for 2 reasons, firstly for the speed boost, and secondly for the ad hoc tethering ability. My tablet is only useful to me if I have internet, and there isn't much reason to use it at home where I have my nice shiny i7 2600k desktop I built with a 1080p screen. But if I can't tether to my phone out and about then the only place I can use it is at home.

I like WebOS. A lot. I'll be honest though, I like Android a lot more. I still hate iOS though, that hasn't changed.

Long live the Touchpad!
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
Page 9 of 47 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast