Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    This is great news.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    I'll gladly stay with WebOS IF programs I consider essential are ported over. Tapatalk is coming as "Communities" and I have written Aldiko which is needed to read DRM protected library ebooks. I must have an app to edit MS Office docs. This might be coming but there is skepticism in the forums.

I'd like to have Thumb Keyboard and Random Mahjong, but can live without them.

Netflix and Slingplayer would be nice as well, but would not justify a root of my Tpad.

It would be great if the Top 50 Android and Ipad apps were available on WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
    It would be great if the Top 50 Android and Ipad apps were available on WebOS.
    Why would you need different varieties of fart applications(can't stand word "apps") on your TP? )
    When I bought my Maemo-linux powered N900, its future was doomed.
    When I bought my WebOS powered Touchpad, its future was uncertain.
    IAmA multitasking necrophile!
    Very exciting.

No need for hyperbole as far as app store content goes. There is no way to spin the fact that Android and iOS have a greater number of quality apps than webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    This is strictly my opinion about WEBOS and TP, if I wanted to get HoneyComb TB, I would have got it, but instead I got TP on day one because I wanted WEBOS.
    I got a TP on the firesale because it was cheap high-quality hardware. webOS is nice and all, but having the option to run Android is a bonus in case HP decides to trash webOS.
    milominderbinde and muyoso like this.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    HP would have to open source it.
    Just the kernel, which they are required to do anyway since they are using Linux.
    ap3604 and milominderbinde like this.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    My thing is that i would love to have the option to do both, which is what it looks like is going to happen... or a meld of the two.. so imagine if you could take the open source of android, and the market and mix it with webos multitasking and synergies... that to me would be worth more than what an ipad costs...

then again, it could be a way to ensure that you get both on one.. using both of the snap dragons to run at same time, with a log screen at the beginning... (kinda like... which mood am i in? Need to work? Or Need to play?)

Thanks MILO for the find...
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot View Post
    Why would you need different varieties of fart applications(can't stand word "apps") on your TP? )
    That's odd -- I just checked the Top 50 Free Apps in the Android Marketplace, and not a fart app to be seen, and only two of the apps are word games (Scrabble and WwF). Let me check the Top 50 Paid, maybe that's where all the word games and fart apps are... hmm, zero fart apps and zero word games there. Like I said, odd.
    Personally, at this stage I'm happy with webOS. But I emphasise AT THIS STAGE. There is a lot that HP could do to bugger webOS up. I mean the original Pre and Pixi stopped getting OS updates and will soon begin to feel like they are running ancient software. At this point in time webOS is probably the best mobile OS I've used (and I thought I was a Android ******!) but when an OS isn't actively developed it can quickly get left behind.

Now I'm not saying HP will leave us high and dry but its nice to know that we'll have the option of heading to another OS if necessary.

[edit] wait fan boy is censored? That's hilariously awesome :-P
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I donít see how anyone could be against the *option* of having another OS available on a gadget.

-Suntan
    Old timers dont like change
    Quote Originally Posted by grindboy View Post
    Personally, at this stage I'm happy with webOS. But I emphasise AT THIS STAGE. There is a lot that HP could do to bugger webOS up. I mean the original Pre and Pixi stopped getting OS updates and will soon begin to feel like they are running ancient software. At this point in time webOS is probably the best mobile OS I've used (and I thought I was a Android ******!) but when an OS isn't actively developed it can quickly get left behind.

Now I'm not saying HP will leave us high and dry but its nice to know that we'll have the option of heading to another OS if necessary.

[edit] wait fan boy is censored? That's hilariously awesome :-P
    and the stage we are a is barely 2 months after launch, we have a ways to go yet before people continue saying app support is weak, I mean its 2 MONTHS out, its still an infant, plenty of time to go before anyone should bash the device for limited apps to date.
    I'm a firm believer in you bought the hardware, you do what you want with it. I bought a B&N Color Nook specifically to install Cyanogen. It turns a basic, limited, e-reader into a very nice full function tablet.

That said, I'm looking forward to taking delivery of my TP from HP SMB. I have a HP Veer and I enjoy webOS. I will keep webOS on my TP until there are features or applications that I want or need but cannot access due to OS or ecosystem limitations.

From my experience the android market is hit, miss, or backfire. There are cases of malware, spyware and trojans making it to the market. There is so much crapware, it makes finding anything worthwhile difficult.

I hope the TP with webOS meets all my needs and expectations, but it's nice to know there may be an alternative if not.
    One thing that is very encouraging if you read through many of the comments on different blogs reporting this, especially engadget, is how many new touchpad users now that they have experienced WebOS are all of a sudden are not as concerned with an android port and very impressed with webOS. Most now are talking about dual boot and using android just to access those apps that are not available on webOS. This is the boat I am in, I was thinking about porting android, but now after using webOS, i'm sticking with it, and if I do port it will be just to use a few apps exclusive to android.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    put me down for "rather have android in a card" than multiboot
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Flatso likes this.
    I am new to webOS and the more I use it the more I like it but I am happy with the news that they are looking in to making it multiboot because I would not have wanted to replace webOS with another OS.
    Cyanogen is a bit of a downgrade from WebOS if you ask me.
    dreadlion42 likes this.
    If do you like Android, it's a great news, but is not so interesting if do you like webOS...

Sorry if somebody cannot agree with me, but I don't want that the hardware survive, I want that the "webOS devices" survive...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    geekpeter likes this.
    Sad is it may be, the only reason why I bought this was for the eventual android port. The more I use webOS, the more I enjoy it and the more I feel its limitations. I really want a dual downloader for this bad boy.
    I love Nerdy Girls.
    Oh... I should totally follow this BAMF www.twitter.com/demiroquai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    If do you like Android, it's a great news, but is not so interesting if do you like webOS...

Sorry if somebody cannot agree with me, but I don't want that the hardware survive, I want that the "webOS devices" survive...
    That won't happen unless HP releases the code as open source and allows devs to port it to other devices, which would be kind of cool. Chances are no major manufacturer is going to pay a license fee and throw R&D dollars out there for a platform that just can't seem to attract users (at the going market price, that is).
    Quote Originally Posted by mize View Post
    put me down for "rather have android in a card" than multiboot
    right on!
Page 8 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast