Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Fair enough. But what are you doing in this thread?!?
    I enjoy the shared information and different points of view. I chime in when I am interested, but always try to uphold respect for all forum members.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I enjoy the shared information and different points of view. I chime in when I am interested, but always try to uphold respect for all forum members.
    So what information about Android running on TP are you interested in?
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    So what information about Android running on TP are you interested in?
    The overall mechanics of the process. Will it be duel boot, or will it be a full replacement for webOS, what Features of webOS Internals might be integrated into the process, if any. More importantly how Precentral users feel about Android on a tablet built for webOS.
    Even though some members have turned this in a ****ing contest about why WebOS is all powerful, progress is being made on the Android TP front.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    The overall mechanics of the process. Will it be duel boot, or will it be a full replacement for webOS, what Features of webOS Internals might be integrated into the process, if any. More importantly how Precentral users feel about Android on a tablet built for webOS.
    To answer some of your questions, the ultimate goal is to have something like a Meta Doctor process to put Android on as the root OS. Dual boot could be done using a Chroot method which is like a virtual disk. webOS users are already running Ubuntu with this method you can read more about that here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

Once ported over to Android webOS Internals patches and stuff won't work but there is a larger community of "webOS Internals" like groups for Android. If you want, you could always doctor back to webOS if you didn't like Android.

Obviously people have mixed feelings about putting Android on a webOS device. Some because they think it's blasphemous, some because they don't know or understand Android and how good it really is. Some people who just don't like Android and others like you who have no need.

The last group of people (which I belong to) love webOS but have been on this roller coaster ride since the first Treo that came out. People like me love webOS to pieces, feel it really is a better OS and would give our right arm to make it succeed but unfortunately we could give all are arms and legs and it won't make a difference. Palm, like a cat has had 9 lives (which I've been a part of) but this is really it's 9th time with the Reaper. Most of the Dev's left and all the execs at HPalm are sending off their resumes or are in interviews for other jobs along with the best engineers in the webOS department. HP will be left with a skeleton crew that will force them to sell the patents once no company steps forward to buy webOS or the licenses. HP will probably retain rights to use webOS for printers and such devices. But Even if some company buys webOS or the licenses to make webOS devices they will be left with the same problem HP has now.
    For those of you who haven't really seen Android in action lately I recommend looking at these videos and links:

Highly Recommend You Watch This Video:
    Beyond showing navigation, gestures and how to easily change settings it will give you an a feel for how Android works

More on Android Gestures:

Android Wave Launcher Bar:
    Wave Launcher v1.8 - Widgets - YouTube

To see some of the top apps availble on Android look here:
    Lifehacker Pack for Android: Our List of the Best Android Apps
    This chat log should give you a good idea of the status of the TouchDroid project.
  8.    #128  
    To me WebOS first then if that dies off or doesn't work out Android as a backup

either way you get decent quality hardware going with the touchpad vs crap from other cheaper tabs.
    instead of porting an insanely old version of Android that wasnt even designed for a tablet screen, why dont these people spend the same amount of time making WebOS Homebrew patches and apps?

F-a-n-b-o-y-s...as closed minded as religions....
    Its like putting a Chevy engine in a ford. It might be faster and have more aftermarket support but its just not right.....
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hmm, I would guess 'shopped, from another tablet, something.
    Kinda weird that every image is watermarked.

It does link to videos.
    That video on Youtube is complete bull$hit. Read the comments on the original YouTube video. If android was ported, we would see so many posts. The fact is, no one has ported android to the TP. The Touchdroid got hosed internally and even the remaining members say it will be a long time before its available. Its a great idea, but will take a while to implement. Touchdroid is led by a 15 year old!
    <<threads merged>>
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Again, says it all. I know android on touchpad is grabbing attention cause the hardware mad a cheap android tab.

Still, do you love it enough to buy and android tab and stick webOS on it if it were avaliable, despite its limitations, small catalogue etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    That video on Youtube is complete bull$hit. Read the comments on the original YouTube video. If android was ported, we would see so many posts. The fact is, no one has ported android to the TP. The Touchdroid got hosed internally and even the remaining members say it will be a long time before its available. Its a great idea, but will take a while to implement. Touchdroid is led by a 15 year old!
    Actually, the videos are real. Qualcomm had a number of test units that used the Touchpad's hardware as a base spec. Somehow, they got out into the wild. It is real because one of the people that purchased one decided they weren't in it for profit. They helped the Android on TP devs to get things up and running.

Now there's a race to see who's going to be first to port it over to a standard retail Touchpad. RHCP and Trsomners are two seperate teams. If you're still unsure

[DUMP] Android 2.2.1 Dump from HP TouchPad Team TouchDroidand Jiwanish (UPDATED)

The FULL System Dump of the HP Touchpad

The 15 year old (Thomas Somners) isn't associated with Touchdroid anymore and is leading up a different team. He seems to be very talented, but young. However, he posted a video on Vimeo showing he has a working version of it.

Right now, they are working on a way to flash it onto a retail Touchpad.
    Via: Engadget

Details at RootWiki.
    "Our ultimate vision is to create a *multiboot* solution where the end user will be able to boot into WebOS, Cyanogenmod, and/or other OSes. This appears to be very possible, and we have discussed several potential implementations with our new friends in the WebOS development community to make it easy for an end-user to set up."
    This news is huge for the TouchPad. Even if HP stops development of webOS, the Cyanogen team typically continues development. The Cyanogen team is known for their amazing work. Also note that it is Cyanogen who has incorporated gestures, etc. into Android.

The key part is the quote "...our new friends in the WebOS development community..." A greater focus on webOS will probably mean a greater focus on integration of webOS into Cyanogen.

Imagine if instead of patching the closed source webOS, webOS Internals could completely re-write it as a whole new ROM. That is what Cyanogen is able to do with Android because Android is open source.

The TouchPad will now live on even if HP shuts down webOS development. That's great news.
    HP would have to open source it.
    filjosh likes this.
    Not everyone around here is excited as you are about Andriod on TP,

"The TouchPad will now live on even if HP shuts down webOS development. That's great news."

Without this WebOS will live, thanks to our internals and all the WebOS lovers around.

This is strictly my opinion about WEBOS and TP, if I wanted to get HoneyComb TB, I would have got it, but instead I got TP on day one because I wanted WEBOS.

I dont want to sound *****y here, but I want WebOS around.
    I donít see how anyone could be against the *option* of having another OS available on a gadget.

-Suntan
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast