Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 929
Like Tree254Likes
  1. #101  
    I love Wed OS and am also an Android user, I had WEB OS with the Pre with Sprint on launch day. I loved the software but my phone liked to break, lol.

    On my TP I will put Android but just for the sake of me being able to do it. I will then go back to Web OS. If Web OS does not get Netflix or Slingbox or some sort of app emulator for those I may have to stay on Android permanently just because those apps are in my opinion at least Netflix a necessity on a tablet.

    It is upsetting to see such a beautiful software to be removed but I use those apps more than anything and they would be great for a tablet!

    Just my 2 cents...
  2. #102  
    <<another thread merged>>
  3. xmai77's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    when Palm stops issueing webOS updates, I might look into that. So far, they haven't stopped and have said that they won't stop.
    A port of Honeycomb probably won't be available for a month or two. If it were available right now, I'd probably stick with webOS. We'll see what HP's stance on software updates is in a couple of months. With the firesale and all, we might actually see some developers coming back and indie game devs might start pumping more games out.
  4. ggendel's Avatar
    Posts
    463 Posts
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    #104  
    You will benefit from the beefed up output stage and the digital/analog isolation no matter what OS you use. Beats DSP profile is another attempt to alter the sound to meet listening preferences. As an audiophile I don't like it and have it off on my TouchPad.

    Then again, I see nothing compelling to bring android to this hardware unless WebOS development stops. It's nice to see that document editing will come to the TouchPad soon.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    I see nothing compelling to bring android to this hardware unless WebOS development stops. It's nice to see that document editing will come to the TouchPad soon.
    Do you realize how many developers have left webOS? I guess you can keep "developing" an OS which has very few developers and little if any apps coming out in the future but what's the point?
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by gastr View Post
    ew why would anyone do that to their lovely webos touchpad?
    Exactly, WebOS was built from the ground up for tablets.

    Android 3.x was built for tablets - 2.x was built for smart phones.
  7. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJspeed View Post
    when Palm stops issueing webOS updates, I might look into that. So far, they haven't stopped and have said that they won't stop.
    Maybe in eight months or so - I might look at android if I have some desperate need (can't think what) but otherwise I've already got the app I need - It is stable in that even if the developer never updated it again, it would make no difference to me. If I need anything else, I'm simply get it for my android phone.

    Let's face it - it's a 89 tablet - you couldn't buy a decent digital picture frame for that price.
  8. #108  
    The thing that nobody addresses is most of the major hardware manufacturers like HTC and Samsung have said they are either not interested in webOS or the PC group. Think back to before HP and you'll remember the news was "Palm is in talks with several major companies interested in Palm" Guess what? We're not hearing that kind of news this time.

    webOS has no viable future and it's only reasonable that people who've invested in webOS find a way to protect their investment by looking into options like Android. If you personally don't like that then you personally don't have to take that path but don't criticize people that realize they need another choice because you're a baby and can't handle the bad news about webOS.
  9. bgc42169's Avatar
    Posts
    99 Posts
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    #109  
    I guess it hard to believe, but WebOS developers could make a killing from this fire sale. Lets say 1,000,000 TP are sold at $100-$150. People are looking for apps. Most of the people dont have the ability or want to reload a new OS onto their TP. Since the owners only spent $100-$150 they are willing to spend $2-$5 on an app that is well written and works well on WebOS. If it is a useful app you can see $100,000-$500,000 in sales. After this fire sale, TP will be the 2nd largest tablet user base.

    After trying all the tablets out, WebOS is the smoothest, and most intuitive OS out there for TP.

    It still has potential and is only limited by the APP developers now.
  10. #110  
    Back on topic...

    I think I heard in the video a guy say "Oh, it says Ubuntu" while the TP was booting so it is probably Android running on top of Ubuntu but hard to tell what was going on.

    With thousands of dollars in the pot for a port, it won't be long before we see a beta.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimpz View Post
    Exactly, WebOS was built from the ground up for tablets.

    Android 3.x was built for tablets - 2.x was built for smart phones.
    2.x with an alternative launcher (ADW Ex for example) is not so bad on a tablet. I wouldn't want it since tablet-optimized apps need Honeycome APIs to work properly, but that's a tiny percentage of available apps, so 2.x would hold one over until Honeycomb is ported.

    I'd like to play with webOS for a while on a tablet, but I'd eventually load Android on it once the shine wore off.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by bgc42169 View Post
    I guess it hard to believe, but WebOS developers could make a killing from this fire sale. Lets say 1,000,000 TP are sold at $100-$150. People are looking for apps. Most of the people dont have the ability or want to reload a new OS onto their TP. Since the owners only spent $100-$150 they are willing to spend $2-$5 on an app that is well written and works well on WebOS. If it is a useful app you can see $100,000-$500,000 in sales. After this fire sale, TP will be the 2nd largest tablet user base.

    After trying all the tablets out, WebOS is the smoothest, and most intuitive OS out there for TP.

    It still has potential and is only limited by the APP developers now.
    How will the TouchPad be the 2nd largest tablet user base? Does anyone have any numbers on how many were actually built?
  13. #113  
    [Borrowing an HP analogy] TouchPad's popularity of users by selling $99 tablets is like a couch potato sprinting in front of a few professional runners in a marathon race only to be passed by everyone a few minutes later and having to quit without finishing due to exhaustion.
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Do you realize how many developers have left webOS? I guess you can keep "developing" an OS which has very few developers and little if any apps coming out in the future but what's the point?
    Many developers did not leave webOS but are holding back until they have more complete information on how the OS is going to be supported. I am staying with webOS due to the end user experience. Any important apps I need are basically covered already and webOS Internals and Homebrew have me covered for the rest of my needs. I am going to donate to their telethon today!
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    Many developers did not leave webOS but are holding back until they have more complete information on how the OS is going to be supported.
    Ok, you show me supporting information for your statement, in the meantime here's mine:

    Microsoft courts webOS developers; 1,000 make the leap
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Ok, you show me supporting information for your statement, in the meantime here's mine:

    Microsoft courts webOS developers; 1,000 make the leap
    My supporting information is not a link to a blog. I have 4 close friends who develop for webOS . That's all the support I need.
  17. #117  
    ariker01
    Thanks for that laugh

    Unfortunately you and your 4 friends does not an ecosystem make.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Ok, you show me supporting information for your statement, in the meantime here's mine:

    Microsoft courts webOS developers; 1,000 make the leap
    Denial is a mutha. lol

    Developers are going to go where there is more of an audience. Supporting a platform that's on life support isn't one of them.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    ariker01
    Thanks for that laugh

    Unfortunately you and your 4 friends does not an ecosystem make.
    You're welcome! Although it's hard to understand your statement above. But with all do respect I am with webOS for the user experiance, not for apps or large ecosytem.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    With all do respect I am with webOS for the user experiance, not for apps or large ecosytem.
    Fair enough. But what are you doing in this thread?!?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions