Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 354041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    I testet android on the HP Touchpad, heres my conclusion:

+ super fast! - browser runs terrible fast
    + System is looking nice, many android Apps

- after sleep mode: touchscreen don't work -> 2x Power Button and WIFI don't work -> deactivate and reactivate, that are really stupid reactivation problems after display sleep
    - sometimes WIFI dies when surfing - must restart the hole HP Touchpad
    - Battery drains extremely fast!
    - in sleep mode (display off) the battery drain is even extremely to much!
    - I can only load little handy Apps that extremely zoom from the market - really no nice fittet Apps for the big screen which can display more content like handy Apps?
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    These thread merges are becoming a bit overzealous.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad/

...Just saying.

-Suntan
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    For all the people that absolutely concentrated on the TouchPad's slight bugginess and performance hiccups without any mercy or the slightest inclination to overlook any of it when it was released, there sure is a large number of people ecstatic to get a barely working alpha implementation of an outdated OS version never even meant for tablets on there.

Really shows you how people tick.
    Cool story man! Why even post if your not interested in whats going on?
    DeadVim likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Oooh, thanks! (Seriously, good to know.)
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Right but a lot of the 'Faithful' might be tempted to try this with limited or no knowledge of android - so even a locked sticky in the Touchpad forum warning of them the risks and pointing them to the sister site* might help a lot of people out/prevent them from making an error.

* and why are the sister sites so ugly? I understand that ad-revenue drives those places but sheesh.... the forum bit of a forum shouldn't be less than 50% of the page!
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    * and why are the sister sites so ugly? I understand that ad-revenue drives those places but sheesh.... the forum bit of a forum shouldn't be less than 50% of the page!
    Do you have an androidcentral login or are you looking at it while logged out?

Log out of precentral and then enjoy the massive add banner that sits to welcome you into the forums here.

Anyway, I guess I have relatively little sympathy for people that willfully disregard all the umpteen warnings about his being an Alpha release and whatnot. I'm betting 99% of those people that get caught with their pants down wouldn't look at your sticky warning thread either.

Quite simply, I wouldn't dream of installing a *new OS* onto my product without doing some investigation into that OS. Lest of which is a review of a couple of the relavent forums for that OS.

Long story short, if a person is interested in trying out android (even just on a tp) they're doing themselves a disservice by not checking out some of the real android forums. The heavy handed nature around here may be conducive to keeping faithful flocked in. But it isn’t conducive to people trying to learn information about their new found (read: CM7) options.

-Suntan
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Do you have an androidcentral login or are you looking at it while logged out?
    Ah - I'll make a log-in and see what it looks like (I wonder how many people are put off joining because of how ***-ugly that site looks).
    Ah - I'll make a log-in and see what it looks like (I wonder how many people are put off joining because of how ***-ugly that site looks).
    Again, it's the same layout found here at precentral.

-Suntan
    i had a peek on behalf of my sister for her droid devices and erm, it wasnt as much as it was ugly, more theres 2 many damned submenus for heaps of different devices, just makes it look a bit untidy and cluttered.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Again, it's the same layout found here at precentral.

-Suntan
    No it's different - Logged out, Pre-central has a horizontal banner at the top which does not affect the width of the forum - Android central has 50% of the screen taken up by ads running running vertically which does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    This is an important point to highlight - as far as I know it's not even a "might", it's a "will", so if you are going to try this and have songs/videos, etc., on your TP you are using in webOS, back them up before installing the current CM7 Alpha. (This issue will be fixed in future installs, but ain't fixed yet.)
    While I agree that people need to be careful, I would point out that there are some of us who made this jump without losing any media. As I stated earlier, I followed the basic instructions with the files provided on the first day and all of my movies and music were still there on the other side. I have since downloaded movies under both operating systems (a much more stable process under android than webOS) and have been able to switch back and forth without issue.
    The only thing that I may have done differently than others is that I maintain my media all in a user created folder called downloads rather then on the root of the media partition.
    As far as wading into the debate over which is better.....I'm just glad to have the choice between two options that are BOTH a little flawed in there present states but together make for the best value I have ever had in a gadget.
    See normally, I think merging it into "other tablets" section is a great idea - but don't you think that at least somewhere in the actual touchpad forum, there needs to a warning of the possible hazards of flashing Alpha roms onto the touchpad for the casual readers and also for people who don't step outside the Touchpad forum?

At the very least, some warning about the media deletion would save some people a lot of heart-ache.
    Plenty of people (casual users) didnt read any of the warnings on the experimental touchpad kernels either, i doubt any such information regarding cyanogen would make much difference to similar minded people.

A lot dont read or want to read any information given, they expect to install it and have it work perfectly, and if it doesnt, its off to ze forums for some quality posting time.

Keep android on androidcentral, webOS on precentral, we could have as much info as we want, its not like theres a need to have a touchdroid cyanogen forum subsection anywhere, i mean the device doesnt make much difference to the end user (which is why so many android lovers flocked to deprive touchpads from webOS users in the first place), its the OS that counts for them.

Theres no better place for the "andoid OS" than android central, its not like the port has any amazing touchpad only extras, except touchstone recharging, but thats hardly a big thing.

Slap a Sticky at the top pointing droid users to the required droidcentral sticky and at most thats all you need, if they brick the device im sure the droid central posts will easily post teh webOS doctor cure for that no problem.
    If you dont already have splashtop on android, it is vastly superior to the webos version. Virtually instant computer>touchpad connection, no lag, no framerate drop, it's a-fricken-mazing.

You can get it free if you grab the getjar app catalog app as well.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    If you dont already have splashtop on android, it is vastly superior to the webos version. Virtually instant computer>touchpad connection, no lag, no framerate drop, it's a-fricken-mazing.

Sadly, my experience differs, I have found them to be about the same. I chalk it up to slow upload speeds from my isp. Media streaming is stutter filled. Other than that, I am happy with the ability to access my home computer from both sides of my touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

any clips? the youfail.com ones i see dont look much diff speed wise to my webOS one.

onyl diff at a guess is that the ios/droid apps seem to have a quality option, and we seem to always have max quality.
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/17/2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Keep android on androidcentral, webOS on precentral, we could have as much info as we want, its not like theres a need to have a touchdroid cyanogen forum subsection anywhere, i mean the device doesnt make much difference to the end user (which is why so many android lovers flocked to deprive touchpads from webOS users in the first place), its the OS that counts for them.
    Most of us TouchPad owners and precentral visitors, including me, are here because we like webOS.
    The option for Android on the TouchPad is 'only' an extra and it is the only way to gain access to the apps we want. As soon as the apps I use in Android become available in webOS, I will use them in webOS. Hoping that eventually I can wipe Android from my TouchPad as I'm not an Android fan. I only installed it for one reason: apps. Repeat: apps.

If you look at this discussion as quest for apps on the TouchPad and not as an Android fanbase discussion platform, I think all of us could live with this thread being present on precentral...
    Last edited by Fresh; 10/17/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    I think all of us could live with this threat being present on precentral...
    Threat? You guys talk as if you're letting a convicted killer into your house to fix your furnace.

-Suntan
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Threat? You guys talk as if you're letting a convicted killer into your house to fix your furnace.

-Suntan
    You know what I mean: this discussion, this topic...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    any clips? the youfail.com ones i see dont look much diff speed wise to my webOS one.

onyl diff at a guess is that the ios/droid apps seem to have a quality option, and we seem to always have max quality.
    I was just using it. Next to my computer screen, almost instantaneous screen (I'm talking over local network).

Do local network with webos splashtop and you have a delay almost a second+ long and dodgy framerates on things like netflix or hulu.
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresh View Post
    You know what I mean: this discussion, this topic...
    How is this topic a "threat?" If anything, it's a solution.