Page 44 of 47 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I was planning to install CM Alpha 1 but Real Life has taken over. I do see that the Google Code issues page has milestones "Alpha2" and "Alpha3" included so this probably shows where we are going development-wise.

I may wait until the webOS media directory deletion thing is resolved, so Alpha2 it is.

Until then I shall have to live with the stigma of not having an 'Other Tablet'
    DemonHighwayman likes this.
    Question,
    the touchpad went out of battery over the weekend while on android (cryonogen), now, I am charging it and all I see is a battery symbol, then change into a BIG USB symbol. It has been an hour. what shiould I do?
    The CyanogenMod team this week unveiled an alpha build for the HP TouchPad

Android Alpha for HP TouchPad Coming Soon | Tech, Gadgets, Web, How To, Latest News and Updates
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    It's been out for several days. Go to rootzwiki.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    It rocks...amazingly stable/functional for a first release.

Install thread: [RELEASE][ALPHA][Discussion] CyanogenMod team Touchpad port

FAQ: Cm7 faq

But it is an alpha, and there is no automated way to uninstall/undo the install (which creates new partitions on the TP) at this point, so folks should proceed carefully, and read the install instructions and FAQ twice or more before deciding to do anything.

Also, the current install process will wipe your media files you are using in webOS. I didn't have any so didn't care, others are not so happy about that. They are working on fixing that issue and others, the most critical of which are probably higher than normal battery drain, and the device will sometimes not wake up from sleep mode, so you have to hit the power/home button for 15 - 20 seconds to restart the TP.
    Last edited by Redflea; 10/17/2011 at 11:10 AM.
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Right - unless you have some specific usage in mind, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone at the moment.
    I Installed it on mine

its great that you don't lose webos

and its great having all the android games/apps available

pretty stable right now other than the freezes when it goes to sleep (But they have released a patch for this)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Right - unless you have some specific usage in mind, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone at the moment.
    'Specific Usage'??

How about 'Android' for starters!

Having been installed, will it not remain updatable as such?
    ^ Yes, there will be updates available through the software, they are just waiting on a developer of another software built in to add the Touchpad to the list of devices for updates

They also said they're hoping to release alpha 2 soon
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    'Specific Usage'??

How about 'Android' for starters!

Having been installed, will it not remain updatable as such?
    Oh it will and I'm using it (my specific usage means that WebOS is lacking compared to android), but people should be aware that in it's current form, it might wipe media files on the webOS side and there are various other problems that they should be aware of before installing.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Oh it will and I'm using it (my specific usage means that WebOS is lacking compared to android), but people should be aware that in it's current form, it might wipe media files on the webOS side and there are various other problems that they should be aware of before installing.
    This is an important point to highlight - as far as I know it's not even a "might", it's a "will", so if you are going to try this and have songs/videos, etc., on your TP you are using in webOS, back them up before installing the current CM7 Alpha. (This issue will be fixed in future installs, but ain't fixed yet.)
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
    This is an important point to highlight - as far as I know it's not even a "might", it's a "will", so if you are going to try this and have songs/videos, etc., on your TP you are using in webOS, back them up before installing the current CM7 Alpha. (This issue will be fixed in future installs, but ain't fixed yet.)
    Right - I don't have any content on my touchpad so it's not an issue for me but it's a big problem for others.
    <threads merged>
    WRT Android wiping the media partition, I followed the tip jhoff80 showed me (delete ****_msdos from the CM7 zip before installing it) and my media partition remains intact between boots, although I'm not sure what would happen if something funky happens with my file system integrity and Android wants to do a ****. I'm hoping that, since it's just FAT32, webOS' **** should be able to fix any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    WRT Android wiping the media partition, I followed the tip jhoff80 showed me (delete fs ck_msdos from the CM7 zip before installing it) and my media partition remains intact between boots, although I'm not sure what would happen if something funky happens with my file system integrity and Android wants to do a fs ck. I'm hoping that, since it's just FAT32, webOS' fs ck should be able to fix any problems.
    I saw a post on RootzWiki about their version of fs ck being flawed anyway:

Another note - I verified that the problem does lie in some strange cm7-supplied fs ck behavior, so renaming the fs ck seems to be a good workaround.
    Prevent Webos & Android /media/internal file delete upon reboot & WIFI Connect
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    <threads merged>
    See normally, I think merging it into "other tablets" section is a great idea - but don't you think that at least somewhere in the actual touchpad forum, there needs to a warning of the possible hazards of flashing Alpha roms onto the touchpad for the casual readers and also for people who don't step outside the Touchpad forum?

At the very least, some warning about the media deletion would save some people a lot of heart-ache.
    dignitary and DeadVim like this.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    See normally, I think merging it into "other tablets" section is a great idea - but don't you think that at least somewhere in the actual touchpad forum, there needs to a warning of the possible hazards of flashing Alpha roms onto the touchpad for the casual readers and also for people who don't step outside the Touchpad forum?

At the very least, some warning about the media deletion would save some people a lot of heart-ache.
    + many...this should not be removed from the Touchpad forum, most folks are not going to see it here, when I went to the TP forum I wondered why the heck there was no discussion of the release in that forum whatsoever. I would at least add a sticky pointing to here...

I would never have looked in "Older Palm Devices and Other Platforms > Other tablets" to find info on the Android port for TP, my TP is not an older Palm device, or an "Other tablet." Makes no sense...let's not take this "webOS purity" thing too far and make it harder for TP owners to get the info they need/want.
    DeadVim likes this.
    These thread merges are becoming a bit overzealous.
    For all the people that absolutely concentrated on the TouchPad's slight bugginess and performance hiccups without any mercy or the slightest inclination to overlook any of it when it was released, there sure is a large number of people ecstatic to get a barely working alpha implementation of an outdated OS version never even meant for tablets on there.

Really shows you how people tick.
    geekpeter likes this.
    This thread doesn't need baseless, broad-brushed criticism that adds nothing substantial to the topic at hand. If you don't like it, don't read it. Just don't go around antagonizing people over your preferences.
    DeadVim likes this.