Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3338394041424344454647 LastLast
Like Tree254Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Thanks - I'll just use it on the phone for the moment, not sure I want to spend too much time customising an alpha, I'll likely wipe and reinstall at some stage.
    Did I read somewhere that you use an LTE Blade? If so I have the same phone so I would be interested to read how you get on.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VanFred View Post
    Did I read somewhere that you use an LTE Blade? If so I have the same phone so I would be interested to read how you get on.
    ZTE blade? Yeah, there are a lot of stable roms out there for it - you can install CM7 for it if you like but it has a lot of features I don't need on my phone. If you head over to here you can find plenty of help.
    my touchpad has been unplugged for 26 hours and the battery is down to 24%. i havent been using it much and most of that time has been spent with the touchpad in sleep death even with the minimum cpu speed set above 486 mhz. but its an alpha release so im not surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    ZTE blade? Yeah, there are a lot of stable roms out there for it - you can install CM7 for it if you like but it has a lot of features I don't need on my phone. If you head over to here you can find plenty of help.
    Yes, I have spent a lot of time on that forum and loaded lots of Blade and Vega ROMs. They don't seem to have a Touchpad sub forum yet. Early days I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    my touchpad has been unplugged for 26 hours and the battery is down to 24%. i havent been using it much and most of that time has been spent with the touchpad in sleep death even with the minimum cpu speed set above 486 mhz. but its an alpha release so im not surprised.
    I left mine on and walked away. The screen time out / sleep eventually kicked in. I came back about 20 minutes later and had to do a hard boot to get it up and running again. I did have my cpu set to 486Mhz.

I don't mind doing a hard boot as I understand this is an Alpha mod. I'm just concerned that doing a hard boot so often may not be good for my TP or may cause too much wear and tare on my power and centre button ?
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    I left mine on and walked away. The screen time out / sleep eventually kicked in. I came back about 20 minutes later and had to do a hard boot to get it up and running again. I did have my cpu set to 486Mhz.

I don't mind doing a hard boot as I understand this is an Alpha mod. I'm just concerned that doing a hard boot so often may not be good for my TP or may cause too much wear and tare on my power and centre button ?
    well it won't do anything harmful (other than the possible use of the home button, a mild concern I share with you due to its flimsy feeling)
    I keep reading couple of issues with this alpha release (expected of course) that concerns me enough to stay away at the moment:

1) Sleep death - having to hard boot once TP falls sleep even after setting the cpu to a higher value.

2) Wifi - lack of strength. Someone was reporting seeing only 50-60% strength wifi compared to webos.

3) Perhaps due to issue #2 above, the Android browser isn't faster than webos browser.

I really want to give this a try but worried about these issues atm.

Can you guys comment on this?

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    I keep reading couple of issues with this alpha release (expected of course) that concerns me enough to stay away at the moment:

1) Sleep death - having to hard boot once TP falls sleep even after setting the cpu to a higher value.

2) Wifi - lack of strength. Someone was reporting seeing only 50-60% strength wifi compared to webos.

3) Perhaps due to issue #2 above, the Android browser isn't faster than webos browser.

I really want to give this a try but worried about these issues atm.

Can you guys comment on this?

Thanks.
    I've actually noticed web browsing to be speedier and haven't noticed anything with wifi strength. Granted, I'm usually pretty close to my router most of the time anyway.

I've only encountered the hard reboot issue 2 times in the 3 days or so that I've had Android on here. I don't know if I'm just on a brief lucky streak or not.

Because it's dual boot, I wouldn't worry too much about those issues regardless.
    I've installed it, yes there are issues with WIFI (it works but is a PITA) and the so called "sleep of death" is a common issue that can easily be resolved with a hard reset.

Overall in my opinion it is an Alpha release for a reason and I don't believe at this time it is an OS that can be used on daily basis. So the dual boot comes in handy as I sometimes do go back to Android for testing...
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTronix View Post
    I've installed it, yes there are issues with WIFI (it works but is a PITA) and the so called "sleep of death" is a common issue that can easily be resolved with a hard reset.

Overall in my opinion it is an Alpha release for a reason and I don't believe at this time it is an OS that can be used on daily basis. So the dual boot comes in handy as I sometimes do go back to Android for testing...
    I'm curious, not being argumentative or anything, what is a PITA about wifi? I've set wi-fi to never sleep, so no issues with connecting/reconnecting.

The main problem really is the sleep of death mess. Haven't booted up webOS since installing Android, and I feel like it's become a much more useful device.
    when you have to turn on and off and on and off to get the WiFi finally connected is PITA IMO. I did the never sleep thing and tried several other so call "temp fixes" on rootzwiki but no go. At least its a known issue and is worked on.
    Quote Originally Posted by beardedspoooon View Post
    I've actually noticed web browsing to be speedier and haven't noticed anything with wifi strength. Granted, I'm usually pretty close to my router most of the time anyway.

I've only encountered the hard reboot issue 2 times in the 3 days or so that I've had Android on here. I don't know if I'm just on a brief lucky streak or not.

Because it's dual boot, I wouldn't worry too much about those issues regardless.
    Thanks for your reply. I'm very tempted as I'm very much a tinkering person BUT I think I'm going to wait a couple of weeks or so for some of these issues to be resolved. I'm sure the CM team will come up with a fix soon.
    when you have to turn on and off and on and off to get the WiFi finally connected is PITA IMO. I did the never sleep thing and tried several other so call "temp fixes" on rootzwiki but no go. At least its a known issue and is worked on.
    With never sleep your wi-fi still goes in and out? Well, that would be a PITA.
    Yup and if you go on the rootzwiki forum you will notice it is a issue many still have even after the tweaks.
    Today I learned that I still can't bluetooth tether my phone to android in order to use the internet over the cellular connection.

There is a widget NC Tether, but apparently Cyanogenmod 7 only supports bluetooth PAN, while my blackberry only supports bluetooth DUN. What this means is I am able to pair the phone to the tablet, but I am not able to use the phone to open a connection to the internet until the mod is updated further. So I still can't use the tablet for the net while travelling. I could if I had a BlackBerry Playbook or an iPad so I'm a little annoyed about that.

Android seems like a clunky toy to me compared to iOS or WebOS or BlackBerry. Not sure why people are so fond of it.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Technarch View Post
    Today I learned that I still can't bluetooth tether my phone to android in order to use the internet over the cellular connection.

There is a widget NC Tether, but apparently Cyanogenmod 7 only supports bluetooth PAN, while my blackberry only supports bluetooth DUN. What this means is I am able to pair the phone to the tablet, but I am not able to use the phone to open a connection to the internet until the mod is updated further. So I still can't use the tablet for the net while travelling. I could if I had a BlackBerry Playbook or an iPad so I'm a little annoyed about that.

Android seems like a clunky toy to me compared to iOS or WebOS or BlackBerry. Not sure why people are so fond of it.
    I have a n900 which i've configured with BT PAN, I can't tether with Cyanogenmod 7 and NC tether either. BT is preferred as it doesn't destroy the phone's battery.

Also agree that Android seems very clunky UI wise, but the volume of apps makes up for this I guess
    Interestingly enough, on my home network with WPA2-PSK-AES, I don't seem to have any problems with wifi but elsewhere on an Open network, I get the wifi bug ALL the time.
    Not bragging, but I haven't had any wifi issues at all. I only changed the 1 setting (I think it was set to never sleep.) (I'm using wpa 2)

My only problem is having to hard boot after it turns off.
    Anyone else notice on opera mobile,when you swipe up or down a page really fast, a little arrow pops up that lets you zoom to the top or bottom of the page. :-)